2016 Mls College Superdraft

It does seem we have unnecessarily handicapped ourselves with this approach.
Kreis: "Guys, there's no reason to have all of the Academy teams start at once - I want the kids playing my system from day one so they understand diamond tactics. Plus, I've never even needed a Homegrown player before, so I'm not banking on them now - it would ruin my mojo."
CFG: "OK, thanks, that's the kind of MLS knowledge we needed to hear!"

The superdraft is just a gimmick to make the MLS seem more like other american professional sports to help attract fans that dont understand soccer. If you want to know the odds of getting a big time player in the superdraft take a look at the MLS list of top 24 players under 24. Only 6 of the player came from the super draft and 2 of the 6, Kitchen and Plata were late round fliers. No team ever considers tanking for this crap and I wouldn't trade TMAC or any young play that plays real min for us straight up for the #1 pick let alone even talking about Mullins.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/series/24-under-24/2015

Fabian Castillo - Transfer
Kekuta Manneh - Transfer
Sebastian Lletget -Signed
Wil Trapp - Homegrown
Matt Miazga - Homegrown
Harry Shipp - Homegrown
Kwadwo Poku - Transfer
Perry Kitchen - 3rd round 2011 superdraft
Joao Plata - #49 pick 2011 superdraft
Cyle Larin - #1 pick 2015 superdraft

Erick "Cubo" Torres - signed DP
Matias Laba - signed DP
Juan Agudelo - Homegrown
Kellyn Acosta - Homegrown
Kemar Lawrence -Signed
Andrew Farrell - #1 pick 2013 superdraft
Diego Fagundez -Homegrown
Octavio Rivero - signed DP
Lucas Melano - Signed
Kelyn Rowe - #3 2012 superdraft
Matt Polster - #7 2015 superdraft

Alvas Powell - Signed
Tommy Thompson - Homegrown
Erik Palmer-Brown -Homegrown
That's interesting, but I think this is the more interesting list. Top 3 picks in each of the last 10 drafts. How many do you rate? And this is only the top 3 choices? (FWIW, arranged in this strange way on purpose to help focus on what each pick is worth on average.)

#1 picks
  • 2015 - Cyle Larin
  • 2014 - Andre Blake
  • 2013 - Andrew Farrell
  • 2012 - Andrew Wenger
  • 2011 - Omar Salgado
  • 2010 - Danny Mwanga
  • 2009 - Steve Zakuani
  • 2008 - Chance Myers
  • 2007 - Maurice Edu
  • 2006 - Marvell Wynne
#2 picks
  • 2015 - Khiry Shelton
  • 2014 - Steve Birnbaum
  • 2013 - Carlos Alvarez
  • 2012 - Darren Mattocks
  • 2011 - Darlington Nagbe
  • 2010 - Tony Tchani
  • 2009 - Sam Cronin
  • 2008 - Brek Shea
  • 2007 - Bakary Soumare
  • 2006 - Mehdi Ballouchy
#3 picks
  • 2015 - Romario Williams
  • 2014 - Christian Dean
  • 2013 - Kyle Bekker
  • 2012 - Kelyn Rowe
  • 2011 - Perry Kitchen
  • 2010 - Ike Opara
  • 2009 - Omar Gonzalez
  • 2008 - Tony Beltran
  • 2007 - Michael Harrington
  • 2006 - Jason Garey
I actually recognize and rate a lot more players on these lists than I expected. Far from a sure bet. But there is still a lot of value. Also, here is a list of other players who were picked in the first round over the last 10 years.
  • Sacha Kljestan
  • Dax McCarty
  • Kei Kamara
  • Chris Pontius
  • Matt Besler
  • George John
  • Teal Bunbury
  • Jack McInerney
  • Dilly Duka
  • CJ Sapong
  • Will Bruin
  • Nick DeLeon
  • Dom Dwyer
  • Patrick Mullins
Probably lots of other players worth noting who I am too unknowledgeable about to know they should be listed. Bottom line, I actually conclude that there is more value than we give credit for. The draft doesn't automatically deliver a game changing player like the NBA draft does. But it's not as worthless as some make it out to be.

Kreis: "Guys, there's no reason to have all of the Academy teams start at once - I want the kids playing my system from day one so they understand diamond tactics. Plus, I've never even needed a Homegrown player before, so I'm not banking on them now - it would ruin my mojo."
CFG: "OK, thanks, that's the kind of MLS knowledge we needed to hear!"
I thought even the most vehement "Kreis ruined everything" faction has granted that Reyna has been responsible for Academies and development. Because if he hasn't, and if Kreis not only picked our entire roster with no responsibility to Reyna, but Kreis also decided things like this, then Reyna has basically been a paperweight to date. We would also be moving to change this now -- I think -- if Reyna and Vieira thought this was not the right approach.

I thimk the limited academy will pay off in the long run. The quality of "graduates" will be much higher because those kids will have 4-5 years playing the same system. It has to start somewhere.

Reactions: Kjbert
I once read that LAFC was *not* going to take over the very successful ChivasUSA Academy, but perhaps they have absorbed parts or all of it? Considering how badly run the Senior Team was, it's amazing that the ChivasUSA Academy was held in such high regard.

That question was asked last night. Yes, they had the opportunity to essentially take over the program, but for a number of reasons, they decided not to. It sounded like they wanted to run it their own way and not have any biases against them.

I thought even the most vehement "Kreis ruined everything" faction has granted that Reyna has been responsible for Academies and development. Because if he hasn't, and if Kreis not only picked our entire roster with no responsibility to Reyna, but Kreis also decided things like this, then Reyna has basically been a paperweight to date. We would also be moving to change this now -- I think -- if Reyna and Vieira thought this was not the right approach.
I assumed the post by Ulrich Ulrich was a complete joke and wasn't implying Kreis had control over that.

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
That's interesting, but I think this is the more interesting list. Top 3 picks in each of the last 10 drafts. How many do you rate? And this is only the top 3 choices? (FWIW, arranged in this strange way on purpose to help focus on what each pick is worth on average.)

#1 picks
  • 2015 - Cyle Larin
  • 2014 - Andre Blake
  • 2013 - Andrew Farrell
  • 2012 - Andrew Wenger
  • 2011 - Omar Salgado
  • 2010 - Danny Mwanga
  • 2009 - Steve Zakuani
  • 2008 - Chance Myers
  • 2007 - Maurice Edu
  • 2006 - Marvell Wynne
#2 picks
  • 2015 - Khiry Shelton
  • 2014 - Steve Birnbaum
  • 2013 - Carlos Alvarez
  • 2012 - Darren Mattocks
  • 2010 - Tony Tchani
  • 2009 - Sam Cronin
  • 2008 - Brek Shea
  • 2007 - Bakary Soumare
  • 2006 - Mehdi Ballouchy
#3 picks
  • 2014 - Christian Dean
  • 2013 - Kyle Bekker
  • 2012 - Kelyn Rowe
  • 2011 - Perry Kitchen
  • 2010 - Ike Opara
  • 2009 - Omar Gonzalez
  • 2008 - Tony Beltran
  • 2006 - Jason Garey
I actually recognize and rate a lot more players on these lists than I expected. Far from a sure bet. But there is still a lot of value. Also, here is a list of other players who were picked in the first round over the last 10 years.
  • Sacha Kljestan
  • Dax McCarty
  • Kei Kamara
  • Chris Pontius
  • Matt Besler
  • George John
  • Teal Bunbury
  • Jack McInerney
  • Dilly Duka
  • CJ Sapong
  • Will Bruin
  • Nick DeLeon
  • Dom Dwyer
  • Patrick Mullins
Probably lots of other players worth noting who I am too unknowledgeable about to know they should be listed. Bottom line, I actually conclude that there is more value than we give credit for. The draft doesn't automatically deliver a game changing player like the NBA draft does. But it's not as worthless as some make it out to be.

Interesting...thanks for putting this list together!

Reactions: FootyLovin
I couldn't help myself but to write that.... the diamond reference was begging to be used.

Great job by FootyLovin FootyLovin

The draft will remain important. There are only so many academies for kids to come through. You have 1,000 miles between Portland and San Jose. Another 250 miles between San Jose and LA.

Then you have Phoenix. West Texas. The entire Gulf Coast. The entire Midwest outside of Kansas City. Lots of players out there.

It might be, he can clarify if he wants. Even so, at some point I tire of jokes about the guy we fired, however much he deserved it (and he did).
I try to find humor in everything in life - sorry if you don't like it dry.

I thimk the limited academy will pay off in the long run. The quality of "graduates" will be much higher because those kids will have 4-5 years playing the same system. It has to start somewhere.

I mean, I definitely agree with you, but...how does that not happen by just launching all the teams at once? The kids who are 13 right now will still have played with the same systems at every age category by the time they reach the first team - at least, as long as they run the academy properly (which is just as much of a concern whatever the system). The only thing that changes is that in the current system, every single crop of youngsters will have had that experience, from the very first group. On the other hand, it will take five years longer to actually get that first group.

giphy.gif

Is there like a live stream from the combine?

So since Harrison didn't play cause he may have failed his physical..does he drop to 4?

#1 picks
  • 2015 - Cyle Larin
  • 2014 - Andre Blake
  • 2013 - Andrew Farrell
  • 2012 - Andrew Wenger
  • 2011 - Omar Salgado
  • 2010 - Danny Mwanga
  • 2009 - Steve Zakuani
  • 2008 - Chance Myers
  • 2007 - Maurice Edu
  • 2006 - Marvell Wynne
#2 picks
  • 2015 - Khiry Shelton
  • 2014 - Steve Birnbaum
  • 2013 - Carlos Alvarez
  • 2012 - Darren Mattocks
  • 2010 - Tony Tchani
  • 2009 - Sam Cronin
  • 2008 - Brek Shea
  • 2007 - Bakary Soumare
  • 2006 - Mehdi Ballouchy
#3 picks
  • 2014 - Christian Dean
  • 2013 - Kyle Bekker
  • 2012 - Kelyn Rowe
  • 2011 - Perry Kitchen
  • 2010 - Ike Opara
  • 2009 - Omar Gonzalez
  • 2008 - Tony Beltran
  • 2006 - Jason Garey
  • Sacha Kljestan
  • Dax McCarty
  • Kei Kamara
  • Chris Pontius
  • Matt Besler
  • George John
  • Teal Bunbury
  • Jack McInerney
  • Dilly Duka
  • CJ Sapong
  • Will Bruin
  • Nick DeLeon
  • Dom Dwyer
  • Patrick Mullins

The odds still seem to low to me to consider parting with guys like tmac and Mullins.