2017 Playoffs and 2019 CCL

Well before we get the MLS pitchforks out, US Soccer is responsible for selecting CCL bids not MLS. I think its a little premature to get upset at a what if that is more likely to not happen then happen. Not that it is a perfect metric but SPI gives Canadian clubs a 38% chance of winning the cup. This is a one-time event so its perfectly understandable to not have the details about something that may not even happen.

In the event it does happen, US Soccer has the incentive to choose the strongest American club to represent them. No reason to not think its going to go to highest American club in the Shield standings and they will have an entire year to figure it out.
USSoccer you say.... So you're saying brown paper bags are going to be passed under the table.... business as usual..... :)

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
I'll bite and side with mgarbowski mgarbowski

2017 SKC wins USOC
2017 TFC wins MLS Cup
Give a 2017 best Reg season record/conf/goals scored by header/OGs or whatever you want to use, but keep it in 2017.
Let's give it to DCU on OGs

Then
2018 DCU wins the USOC
2018 MTL wins the MLS Cup
Now we have 2 spots for 2018, just use the same qualification criteria as used in 2017.

That way you have 2 yearly qualifiers. To award 3 spots in one year without it already written somewhere feels like you're screwing a deserving team.
I see your point, but I'm not certain that would necessarily be a better method to do it. In essence, it would be saying that the 2017 table is more valuable than the 2018 table. I'm not necessarily saying that is what will happen, because MLS. And again, we are all hypotheticals (I don't mean to disvalue other opinions, just noting that who knows what will happen, because MLS).

Combining the two years of results and creating a combined table would be a more equitable method to determine the use of tiebreakers needed.

I see your point, but I'm not certain that would necessarily be a better method to do it. In essence, it would be saying that the 2017 table is more valuable than the 2018 table. I'm not necessarily saying that is what will happen, because MLS. And again, we are all hypotheticals (I don't mean to disvalue other opinions, just noting that who knows what will happen, because MLS).

Combining the two years of results and creating a combined table would be a more equitable method to determine the use of tiebreakers needed.

The 2018 table is just as valuable in this scenario. But it only comes into play if necesasry in 2018. You can't take away a 2017 team's spot for it though.

Reactions: Kjbert
The 2018 table is just as valuable in this scenario. But it only comes into play if necesasry in 2018. You can't take away a 2017 team's spot for it though.
But it wouldn't be as valuable, since you are giving the "free table spot" to 2017 and not to 2018. See the below scenario:

2017 US Open Cup: SKC
2017 MLS Cup: NYC
2017 Top of the Table: DC United

2018 US Open Cup: LAFC
2018 MLS Cup: NYC
2018 Top of the Table: Minnesota

Do we award the "free table spot" to DCU or Minnesota? Choosing one over the other would be making one of those specific years more valuable.

But it wouldn't be as valuable, since you are giving the "free table spot" to 2017 and not to 2018. See the below scenario:

2017 US Open Cup: SKC
2017 MLS Cup: NYC
2017 Top of the Table: DC United

2018 US Open Cup: LAFC
2018 MLS Cup: NYC
2018 Top of the Table: Minnesota

Do we award the "free table spot" to DCU or Minnesota? Choosing one over the other would be making one of those specific years more valuable.

I hear you. But in that scenario there was no free spot in 17. SKC & NYC got them. In 18 there was a free spot created and it goes to MNU.

Kind of like if a team won a double in a normal year. Then it goes to next on the table that same season. You don't figure out who has the best record over the last 2 years when no one won the double the year before.

You guys are stressing out over nothing, we are going to win the MLS Cup this year and make it into CCL
I'm not necessarily stressing out about this, haha. And most likely this does not come into play. And most likely MLS just comes up with something else that we haven't even thrown out there that ends up deciding this, lol.

Reactions: Dreaming_NYC
I hear you. But in that scenario there was no free spot in 17. SKC & NYC got them. In 18 there was a free spot created and it goes to MNU.

Kind of like if a team won a double in a normal year. Then it goes to next on the table that same season. You don't figure out who has the best record over the last 2 years when no one won the double the year before.
Yes, but I don't think the double for other leagues is a good comparison, because those tiebreakers are there because spots are awarded for performance of that year. This is kind of a weird one-off scenario where it spans two seasons.

The extra free spot is only created because time has passed. I don't necessarily think that would be right.

Yes, but I don't think the double for other leagues is a good comparison, because those tiebreakers are there because spots are awarded for performance of that year. This is kind of a weird one-off scenario where it spans two seasons.

The extra free spot is only created because time has passed. I don't necessarily think that would be right.

If it was really 2 seasons then do this:

1. Spot 1: winner of MLS Cup 17 v MLS Cup 18
2. Spot 2: winner of USOC 17 v USOC 18
3. Spots 3&4: top 2 table spots of combined 17 & 18 seasons.

They didn't do that (but it would have been way cooler and added tv revenue). They broke it up by year. So they need to keep 2 spots per year.

But then again, it's US soccer...

Thank you. So MLS Cup and US Open Cup qualify for the U.S. If Toronto wins MLS Cup, do we know what the back-up is? Is it the loser of of MLS Cup? Is it the next team in the Supporters Shield? Would hate to see Toronto beat San Jose 4-0 in MLS and San Jose on 40 points makes the CCL.

Toronto-San Jose 4-0. Compliments.........

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...referral&utm_content=news&utm_campaign=unpaid

Interesting read. I don't think we're the ONLY team that could knock off Toronto. A healthy and in-form Red Bull team could do it if they frustrate in the midfield enough. Chicago can, if they get back their mojo, which will take a few weeks' work to do. And Atlanta is flourishing and could go toe to toe home and away. Atlanta is the only team I don't want to really face going forward, but their success will fall on how well they handle this homestand and the 8 games in 24 days they have on their plate.

I'd love to hear everyone's fears/optimism for the upcoming playoffs.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...referral&utm_content=news&utm_campaign=unpaid

Interesting read. I don't think we're the ONLY team that could knock off Toronto. A healthy and in-form Red Bull team could do it if they frustrate in the midfield enough. Chicago can, if they get back their mojo, which will take a few weeks' work to do. And Atlanta is flourishing and could go toe to toe home and away. Atlanta is the only team I don't want to really face going forward, but their success will fall on how well they handle this homestand and the 8 games in 24 days they have on their plate.

Atlanta is the hot team. I am most nervous about having to go to MBS. We could contain them at home, but Atlanta seems like they could blow out anyone at home.

I wish I had more optimism, but I don't. I actually like us against Chicago and New Jersey, but not against Toronto and Atlanta. I would love to see a Toronto verse Atlanta matchup in the Conference Finals.

If Toronto doesn't win the East, I'll be shocked.

You guys are stressing out over nothing, we are going to win the MLS Cup this year and make it into CCL

What year did you become a fan?

I've noticed that a lot of the guys that missed year one have way more confidence in the team than those of us who were there for it. Btw if you did actually miss year one, good for you, it was traumatic.

I think we're a year ahead of schedule. Expetation has to be a playoff series win. Build on this year to year.

Toronto is scary. Atlanta is really good. NJRB is good, but not great this year. Chicago is fading. Montreal is quirky. Columbus doesn't scare me. I think you are rooting for Chicago and Columbus to finish 3rd and 4th. Probably doesn't happen. We play the highest remaining seed.

Fears??? I am worried about getting healthy and not blowing the away game in the conference semifinals. Our issues with Toronto last year were not scoring in that first game, which just opened the floodgates in the second.

If the season ended now, based on points per game, we would face the winner of Chicago and Columbus, and Toronto would face the winner of New Jersey and Atlanta. That's exactly how I would like things to go, so that's my optimism.

The Cows are playing really well, and Atlanta is very dangerous with their ability to put in a few quick goals and change everything. Best to avoid those two and let Toronto have the challenge of beating one of them. Toronto are good enough to do it obviously, but it's a dangerous matchup either way.

Chicago have been the best team in the league at times this year, but they are not playing well, and I would like our chances against them in a two game series. If Columbus can pull the first round upset, then I like our chances against them even more.

Obviously, Toronto would be a huge challenge in the conference finals, but if we are fully healthy it will be a great series. And if the Red Fools or Atlanta pull an earlier upset, then all the better for us.

EDIT: As Kjbert rightly points out in his post, we wouldn't play the 6 seed if they upset the 3rd seed, so under my seeding scenario, we have to hope for Chicago to beat Columbus in the first round.

Really don't want to play a home and away with Atlanta in the playoffs. We will lose at their new stadium. The rest of the likely suitors for a home and away don't scare me.

I see Mata has started doing fitness again. I hope we can get him some minutes early October pre-playoffs.

Reactions: Kjbert
Toronto is in a class by itself.

Right now Chicago and Columbus scare the least. Even if either improves their form I think we should handle them at our full strength. RB and Atlanta are above them in an order to be determined. I can't say Atlanta is the hot team as they have only won 1 of their last 5. They have a shiny loud new stadium, but I need more than one impressive win over a team that came in on a 7-game winless streak to put them up there. Which is not to say they don't worry me at all. Maybe I'm cautiously concerned and potentially even very concerned, but not there yet. We should beat RB but my concern there is we seemed to play a little worse in each consecutive game (ignoring the USOC with a limited first team).

Also, tell me if Herrera is going to be healthy.

I think we can beat anyone when fully healthy. Even Toronto. Problem is, will we ever be fully healthy?

I think we still have the highest ceiling out of any East team. Toronto obviously has a very high ceiling, and it also more consistent, but over a two game series I think we can outscore them.

Not sure how I feel about Atlanta, when they are on, they look really strong. But they also sometimes have real stinkers. And there is a game plan to beat them. Just ask D.C. United

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Just want to clarify something above. We play the highest ranked team left, Toronto plays the lowest ranked team left. It isn't a bracket like March Madness.

Only way to guarantee we don't play Atlanta is if they finish 6th.