2017 Playoffs and 2019 CCL

Order of teams from I'd like to play most to least:

1. Columbus
2. Montreal
3. Chicago
4. New Jersey
5. Atlanta
6. Toronto

As mgarbowski mgarbowski pointed out above, TFC is in a completely different class. I think we can beat them in a 2-game series, but I definitely wouldn't bet on it. Atlanta scares me next as their style of play can be disruptive to what we do. A 2-game series can get opened up by a 15 minute stretch (i.e., what happened to us down in Atlanta earlier this year). New Jersey doesn't scare me quite as much, but I wouldn't necessarily be all that confident going in.

Let's assume we take the 2nd seed. I then hope Chicago takes 3rd, that way if they win, we get them. I'd then hope that Columbus or Montreal (not looking likely at all at the moment) can sneak into spot 4 or 5. This gives the opportunity if Chicago were to slip up and lose, we could still perhaps get Columbus, as well as send Atlanta or New Jersey to TFC.

Order of teams from I'd like to play most to least:

1. Columbus
2. Montreal
3. Chicago
4. New Jersey
5. Atlanta
6. Toronto

As mgarbowski mgarbowski pointed out above, TFC is in a completely different class. I think we can beat them in a 2-game series, but I definitely wouldn't bet on it. Atlanta scares me next as their style of play can be disruptive to what we do. A 2-game series can get opened up by a 15 minute stretch (i.e., what happened to us down in Atlanta earlier this year). New Jersey doesn't scare me quite as much, but I wouldn't necessarily be all that confident going in.

Let's assume we take the 2nd seed. I then hope Chicago takes 3rd, that way if they win, we get them. I'd then hope that Columbus or Montreal (not looking likely at all at the moment) can sneak into spot 4 or 5. This gives the opportunity if Chicago were to slip up and lose, we could still perhaps get Columbus, as well as send Atlanta or New Jersey to TFC.
If we play Atlanta again, I don't think Callens or anybody else, will look for Refs calling the Non-CONCACAF fouls, and will instead keep playing. The expectation Callens had on two was how he was undone in that match.

Reactions: Kjbert
I can't say Atlanta is the hot team as they have only won 1 of their last 5. They have a shiny loud new stadium, but I need more than one impressive win over a team that came in on a 7-game winless streak to put them up there. Which is not to say they don't worry me at all. Maybe I'm cautiously concerned and potentially even very concerned, but not there yet.
OK crap.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Highest two spots from the combined 2017 and 2018 Supporters' Shield table...

Ok, then what if RBNJ finish runners up in the USOC next year again and SKC get knocked out 1st round?

Ok, then what if RBNJ finish runners up in the USOC next year again and SKC get knocked out 1st round?

From my understanding, all double champions and Canadian champions would lead to the highest American MLS team from the combined 2017 and 2018 Supporters' Shield table to get their CCL spot. If SKC wins the USOC next year, it would go the combined table team.

From my understanding, all double champions and Canadian champions would lead to the highest American MLS team from the combined 2017 and 2018 Supporters' Shield table to get their CCL spot. If SKC wins the USOC next year, it would go the combined table team.

I think you missed the logic in my argument. Why go best in the season for one category and best in two seasons for another? To be fair, take away SKC's spot. Reward the two highest combined finishers in the USOC over a 2 year period, not just the champion in one year. It's the same as what they are doing with the standings.

I think you missed the logic in my argument. Why go best in the season for one category and best in two seasons for another? To be fair, take away SKC's spot. Reward the two highest combined finishers in the USOC over a 2 year period, not just the champion in one year. It's the same as what they are doing with the standings.
MLS Cup and US Open Cup are important trophies worth adding value to. If a team does not win a trophy, you want to pick the best team possible to represent the US in CCL. This competition will be played in 2019. Having 2018 factor into the results, makes alot of sense if you want the best possible team in 2019 not the best possible team from 2017.

Reactions: adam
But here in Italy will be already Wednesday.....
That’s twice that mgarbowski mgarbowski has under analyzed the situation. Here he disregards the simplicity of time zones, and in his Narrative by the Numbers thread, he failed to take into account that Dallas would obviously use an ineligible player before the end of the season thus rendering RB needing to fight another week for their lives and making their match vs ATL that much tougher for Atlanta’s quest for the 2nd seed. Slipping fast I tell ya.