2018 Roster Discussion

So who now is our Expansion Draft safe list...

Excluded - GA and HGs
James Sands
Jonathan Lewis

Protection List
Sean Johnson
Alexander Callens
Maxime Chanot
Ronald Matarrita
Ben Sweat
Yangel Herrera
Maxi Moralez
Alex Ring
Jack Harrison
David Villa
Rodney Wallace

I'm leaving Rawls, Shelton, McNamara, and Awuah off the list.

Excluded - GA and HGs
James Sands
Jonathan Lewis

Protection List
Sean Johnson
Alexander Callens
Maxime Chanot
Ronald Matarrita
Ben Sweat
Yangel Herrera
Maxi Moralez
Alex Ring
Jack Harrison
David Villa
Rodney Wallace

If there is a wink and nod arrangement to keep Herrera here, you would announce that after the Expansion Draft, no?

Excluded - GA and HGs
James Sands
Jonathan Lewis

Protection List
Sean Johnson
Alexander Callens
Maxime Chanot
Ronald Matarrita
Ben Sweat
Yangel Herrera
Maxi Moralez
Alex Ring
Jack Harrison
David Villa
Rodney Wallace

In other words, leave Awuah, McNamara, and Shelton unprotected:

GOALKEEPERS
Sean Johnson
Andre Rawls

DEFENDERS
Alexander Callens
Maxime Chanot
Ronald Matarrita
Ben Sweat
James Sands (HG)

MIDFIELDERS
Yangel Herrera
Tommy McNamara
Maxi Moralez
Alex Ring

Kwame Awuah

FORWARDS
Jack Harrison
Jonathan Lewis (GA)
David Villa
Rodney Wallace

Khiry Shelton

Seems about right. Could maybe leave Wallace or Moralez unprotected instead and protect McNamara or Awuah.

If there is a wink and nod arrangement to keep Herrera here, you would announce that after the Expansion Draft, no?

The quirky thing about the expansion draft is that it uses rosters at the end of 2017, not rosters as they look at the beginning of 2018. And even includes loaned players. So Herrera will be on our list no matter what. If we knew he was leaving, we could leave him unprotected. If we know he's returning, we have to keep our mouths shut and risk him, or just protect him anyway.

Reactions: Kjbert
I think McNamara would be selected.

Is everyone OK with that?

I think McNamara would be selected.

Is everyone OK with that?

He's at $185k. He's not a starter, but he's also literally our only CM backup right now.

I think he's a good lockerroom guy and Vieira likes him, so I bet he's protected.

EDIT: On the above list, I could see Wallace being left unprotected for him. Wallace is at $220k, and if we move to a 3-5-2, Matarrita starts at LM and Wallace is out of a primary position.

He's at $185k. He's not a starter, but he's also literally our only CM backup right now.

I think he's a good lockerroom guy and Vieira likes him, so I bet he's protected.

EDIT: On the above list, I could see Wallace being left unprotected for him. Wallace is at $220k, and if we move to a 3-5-2, Matarrita starts at LM and Wallace is out of a primary position.

McNamara is American
He can score goals
He has positional fluidity
$185,000 is an average MLS salary

I know we're sick of watching him huff around the pitch, but he's properly rated. When you consider the gobs of GAM that expansion clubs get now, LAFC would be silly not to take him.

The quirky thing about the expansion draft is that it uses rosters at the end of 2017, not rosters as they look at the beginning of 2018. And even includes loaned players. So Herrera will be on our list no matter what. If we knew he was leaving, we could leave him unprotected. If we know he's returning, we have to keep our mouths shut and risk him, or just protect him anyway.
Would be ballsy of LAFC to take a guy when CFG could just cancel the loan. Dollars to doughnuts they retain that right in whatever agreement exists.

Are we certain yet that we have to protect Harrison? I know we're expecting him to graduate from GA, but does that happen before or after the expansion draft? I thought I heard on a podcast (want to say it was SITC), that he does not need to be protected.

Reactions: Kjbert
McNamara is American
He can score goals
He has positional fluidity
$185,000 is an average MLS salary

I know we're sick of watching him huff around the pitch, but he's properly rated. When you consider the gobs of GAM that expansion clubs get now, LAFC would be silly not to take him.
You think? I don't think Bob Bradley has much use for a slow attacking midfielder who doesn't create much, has questionable ball control and can't track back.

And with the allocation money available, I'd argue that cuts the other way.

Even if it didn't, hell, just go ask Camargo's team for another loan. Cheaper and has upside.

Spending $185k on a player like Tommy is fighting the meta for the league. He'd probably be more useful as an attacking sub in like Mexico or something, where they play a bit slower and have more space.

It would be suicidal to go into an MLS season with only Matarrita as a wide left player. I would argue a move to 3 ATB necessitates keeping both.

Reactions: sbrylski and Kjbert
You think? I don't think Bob Bradley has much use for a slow attacking midfielder who doesn't create much, has questionable ball control and can't track back.

And with the allocation money available, I'd argue that cuts the other way.

Even if it didn't, hell, just go ask Camargo's team for another loan. Cheaper and has upside.

Spending $185k on a player like Tommy is fighting the meta for the league. He'd probably be more useful as an attacking sub in like Mexico or something, where they play a bit slower and have more space.

In baseball, we have Quadruple A players - that's what Tommy is. He's not quite good enough to start, but he's more useful than your average bench player. I think, on that contract, he's a useful asset in MLS still.

I happen to agree with your point as it relates to GAM and player spending. I think you're right there and I hadn't thought of it that way

If Moralez doesn't have a no-trade clause you could take a flier and leave him unprotected. I doubt LAFC would want to use their DP spot on him whereas TMac has value to NYCFC either on the field or trade value.