2018 Roster Discussion

The league will get better when it allows Clubs to profit from the sale of their players. I don't know how you do that in a Single Entity structure, but it holds the league back.

In what world does it make sense to let Erik Palmer Brown and Joeven Jones walk for free?
Absolutely. There are enough smart business people in MLS and the Clubs to get a new structure in place this Winter.

When you look beyond NYCFC at what the MLS teams as a whole did in terms of their contract options, it looks like there are many teams clearing contracts to make room for youth signings. I would love it. Its exciting to see young players get a chance to excel and move on to top leagues.

Worth keeping in mind that the Club has certainly determined exactly which positions it wants to fill for 2018, and how much it wants to spend at each spot. It also certainly has candidates in mind for many of those positions. Each guy that was let go was let go because he didn't fit the specific plan they have.

Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Unfortunately the same could likely be said for last season, then all their DP plans fell through and they panic signed Maxi. Let's hope they are learning from their past and they have a few extra options for each spot lined up this time around.

With $2mm in TAM you look to make one to three of your starters into depth. And then make some decent depth signings.

Lets be honest with ourselves here, at least one or two of last season's lock down starters will become depth players. We're adding another DP and will likely have $2mm in TAM that the team will have to pay for, on top of the other TAM and GAM the team would get normally.

There are so many more resources for teams to add strength, league wide, to the starting XI next year that last year's team would probably finish mid table in the upcoming season.

Jack I think we replace not start btw, there are real and serious offers out for him now.
Word. Would be curious to see how much we're playing with right now with:
  • Salary cap space opened up
  • + additional TAM
  • - TAM that might already be tied up to buy down existing contracts.
2M is more than 50% of the existing salary cap, and being limited to use on contracts < 1M, I don't even know what league we'll be watching next year with regard to overall quality. I might even be comfortable trying to evangelize MLS to my Eurosnob friends again.

• + additional TAM
2M is more than 50% of the existing salary cap, and being limited to use on contracts < 1M, I don't even know what league we'll be watching next year with regard to overall quality. I might even be comfortable trying to evangelize MLS to my Eurosnob friends again.

Maybe MLS can get some CCL wins. We need that to become a thing. Still cheering on TOR so we’re in the best position to earn a spot next season.

• + additional TAM
Do remember that there is Salary Cap Space that has opened up, but we are going to be losing some salary cap, outside of any other renegotiating that may occur. The DP budget charge is currently $480,625 and will likely increase. If we see an increase as we did last year, we lose just over $160k on Villa and Maxi combined.

Jack will also likely be graduating from GA and his salary will now hit the cap.

My only concern is that good Americans are generally overpaid in this league and we let a 5th string CB making $65,000 walk out the door.

That's what I don't understand. Are they really going to sign replacements for some of those minimum salary guys that are as good as the ones who are leaving? Yes, there are better players out there, but not for $65,000.

Makes me wonder if the Club is planning on signing more of the Academy players who are getting national youth team call-ups during 2018. I think MLS is going to change the rules this offseason to allow teams to capture much more revenue when homegrown players are transferred. If that is the expectation, more contracts to youth players is the smart play.

This would not surprise me. Seems they are considering Sands for a backup CB spot, and they might have another homegrown or two that could make the mix.

Do remember that there is Salary Cap Space that has opened up, but we are going to be losing some salary cap, outside of any other renegotiating that may occur. The DP budget charge is currently $480,625 and will likely increase. If we see an increase as we did last year, we lose just over $160k on Villa and Maxi combined.

Jack will also likely be graduating from GA and his salary will now hit the cap.

Max next year is just over $500K.

That's what I don't understand. Are they really going to sign replacements for some of those minimum salary guys that are as good as the ones who are leaving? Yes, there are better players out there, but not for $65,000.

For White is it possible that he forced the move? As others have said it seems like he's due for a raise, not sure how that works with single entity but the players must have some way of creating leverage to force a raise. I'd at least hope so and they didn't just double TMAcs pay last season without any pressure on them to do so.

Brutal cut for Okoli, 3rd time he's been let go by an MLS team. Disappointing he went from golden boot winner in the league below to bench warmer then cut again in MLS. Is the talent gap between the two leagues that large or was this just not the right situation for him?

Brutal cut for Okoli, 3rd time he's been let go by an MLS team. Disappointing he went from golden boot winner in the league below to bench warmer then cut again in MLS. Is the talent gap between the two leagues that large or was this just not the right situation for him?
Could be both. He didn't get a real shake with us. He looked sluggish in a few sub appearances but we saw the same from Brillant before he had a regular run in the side.

Could be both. He didn't get a real shake with us. He looked sluggish in a few sub appearances but we saw the same from Brillant before he had a regular run in the side.

Defenders are like substitute teachers. If you throw one in in the middle of the school year, they're not going to do a great job. Attackers should be different. Throw them in and get the job done. See Jonathan Lewis.

Reactions: Kjbert
Defenders are like substitute teachers. If you throw one in in the middle of the school year, they're not going to do a great job. Attackers should be different. Throw them in and get the job done. See Jonathan Lewis.
I think that one's ability to make an immediate, direct impact has more to do with the kind of player one is than the position that one plays. There is some overlap, sure, but I don't think it's as 1 to 1 or tightly coupled as you are implying.

Lewis is a guy who has bags of pace and can dribble. He can and did do everything himself, at least once he gets the ball.

Okoli is slower but stronger, and as a target striker it is his job to show for the ball, get it to the players with pace who can dribble (like Lewis), and get on the end of their passes. If he doesn't get the minutes to build good relationships with the players around him, he's not gonna be able to find them if he gets the ball, and he's not gonna be able to get on the end of their passes to score.

Villa is a player who somehow turned himself into an amazing target but can also beat people on the dribble and score himself. But even he benefited at times this season when Okoli was introduced.

So I think there are attacking players out there who wouldn't fulfill your "throw them in and get the job done" criteria who could still provide some value under the right circumstances. If you can get somebody who can both make the players around them better and do it all themselves, like Villa, then lock them down. But there aren't enough Villas out there for us to eliminate every other kind of option.

2017 off season move: Hivemind cuts 80% of season ticket spend

Projected 2018 off season move: Hivemind cuts all remaining spend, stops caring about fake bricks

So when do we start hearing rumors about potential signings? Starting to get antsy...

Reactions: Kjbert