2018 Roster Discussion

As a green card holder, my process took maybe 5-6 months from start to finish.

[Helps to be a whitey who speaks English......]

Reactions: Kjbert

If that’s the case, and I’m not doubting you, then nearly every international player from the 2017 team should have a green card by now. Do we not hire good lawyers?

Was that recent? Approaching a year on my wife’s application now without a decision

If that’s the case, and I’m not doubting you, then nearly every international player from the 2017 team should have a green card by now. Do we not hire good lawyers?

Yeah I dunno.

My green card was through marriage too, so there will a different setup for getting it through employment which could have a more complex series of boxes to check.

Was that recent? Approaching a year on my wife’s application now without a decision

10 years ago.

Reactions: LeeNYCFC

Are we certain it's just a matter of processing time? Are there any drawbacks that would cause a player to not be interested in getting a green card? Based on the time it took for Mata and Harrison to get theirs it seems like Villa and some others could easily have one by now. Maybe some players are personally choosing not to get one even for reasons as simple as they feel it would be seen as disloyal to their home country.

Are we certain it's just a matter of processing time? Are there any drawbacks that would cause a player to not be interested in getting a green card? Based on the time it took for Mata and Harrison to get theirs it seems like Villa and some others could easily have one by now. Maybe some players are personally choosing not to get one even for reasons as simple as they feel it would be seen as disloyal to their home country.

There’s a monetary and time cost associated with doing it. I would assume the internationals have the right to be here already on “O” visas, so for someone that is only here to work and doesn’t intend to stay they probably wouldn’t bother.

Reactions: gbservis and Jock
There’s a monetary and time cost associated with doing it. I would assume the internationals have the right to be here already on “O” visas, so for someone that is only here to work and doesn’t intend to stay they probably wouldn’t bother.

You would have to assume the team picks up the cost right?

You would have to assume the team picks up the cost right?

I'd definitely assume they pay the visa costs. Whether they'd pay for players to apply for a program for people that intend to reside here permanently just so they can free up an international roster slot, I'm not so sure.

Updated with all the camp invites. Jack is still on there till we know otherwise. I'm not sure where all these kids fit in a 433, but I did my best to guess by their size or what little I could google.

NYCFC 2018 LINEUP.jpg

Edit: Added some players' numbers based on Seven Seven's eagle eyes.

Last edited:
Updated with all the camp invites. Jack is still on there till we know otherwise. I'm not sure where all these kids fit in a 433, but I did my best to guess by their size or what little I could google.

View attachment 7919
Basically can have three full teams scrimmage with the hot team staying and the losing rotating out. Or more likely 4 small-sides to have 2 scrimmages going at the same time.

Reactions: Kjbert

View attachment 7919
Thanks for doing this.

In case you wanted to update some numbers, Medina is #19, Tinnerholm is #3, Stuver looks to be #41, and Abdul-Salaam is #13

And yes, I spent way too much time looking at clips and pictures posted today. I've missed this team

(Also, totally random, but Villa was wearing Joma cleats instead of his usual Adidas)

Last edited:
Thanks for doing this.

In case you wanted to update some numbers, Medina is #19, Tinnerholn is #3, Stuver looks to be #41, and Abdul-Salaam is #13

And yes, I spent way too much time looking at clips and pictures posted today. I've missed this team

(Also, totally random, but Villa was wearing Joma cleats instead of his usual Adidas)

Nice catch! I’ll add those in when I get a chance.

Reactions: Seven and Kjbert

View attachment 7919

Someone else on this roster can certainly play striker or at least center forward.

View attachment 7919

Amazing how young this team is, especially compared to Year 1. Reyna and PV have done a really, really nice job executing their plan. Can't wait to see them take the field.