2019 Offseason Thread

His lessons-learned from last season's sinking ship seem to be that MLS defenses (and midfields) are essentially a wash, a possession-only focus only gets you percentage stats, and the difference is, in fact, what you do in front of the goal. Yup x 3. Interestingly, he also (albeit somewhat diplomatically) supported the really interesting "with/without Villa" statistics you set forth yesterday.
Agreed. I do get the sense he's adapting. When the interviewer asked him the question about what he learned about MLS in his half-season, I was afraid we'd get more nonsense about odd schedules and the salary cap. Instead we heard what you just summarized. All to the good.

Fun fodder for FootyLovin FootyLovin's EASL language barrier theory.
First, DT clearly knows he's supposed to say "MLS" not "the MLS" because he does so roughly 20% of the time, often with a hesitation, but he can't help mostly saying "the MLS" because he's used to a language where nouns usually don't exist without an article.
Second, he says multiple times that the most important thing for a team in the MLS is a striker, which probably causes heads to explode because we're signing everything but strikers. But as he goes on it's clear that by "strikers" he means "players who score goals" and he says something like "strikers, wingers, forwards" at least once as part of the same topic.

And finally I take from this that he is suggesting another important scorer could be coming later, maybe summertime later.
Cool. I do still stand by my theory.

I also can't help wondering how we would all feel about Dome if he had won a couple more games in the back stretch. We still finish 3rd. We still lose in the conf semis. I would argue that both those results are perfectly reasonable. I just think everyone would be a lot more open to (a) our current roster construction and (b) Dome's potential, even though we basically got the same outcomes.

If he really felt that way about the final 1/3 of the pitch, Jesus Medina wouldn’t be on this team as a DP this year

Reactions: Ulrich
even though we basically got the same outcomes.
I thought you were making good sense until then. Two more wins means the team improved 3 straight years. It means breaking 60 points for the first time. It also most likely means the team does not go more than 2 months (July 14 to Sept 26) without winning a home game, after winning 10 of the first 11. Those are all big deals, especially the latter for those of us who go to the home games. Attaining these secondary goals are exactly most important when you don't finish higher in the standings, or playoffs. I think it perfectly normal and rational that this changes how fans perceive the 2018 season and Dome.

Last edited:
Reactions: adam and SoupInNYC
If he really felt that way about the final 1/3 of the pitch, Jesus Medina wouldn’t be on this team as a DP this year

well he apparently likes him so you will see much more of him this year.

though i constantly chuckle at your daily reminders of your hate for medina and his DP status. but who knows maybe ill join you at the end of this season in bashing him.

I thought you were making good sense until then. Two more wins means the team improved 3 straight years. It means breaking 60 points. It also most likely means the team does not go more than 2 months (July 14 to Sept 26) without winning a home game, after winning 10 of the first 11. Those are all big deals, especially the latter for those of us who go to the home games. Attaining these secondary goals are exactly most important when you don't finish higher in the standings, or playoffs. I think it perfectly normal and rational that this changes how fans perceive the 2018 season and Dome.

You could also add in the anecdotal observation that not only did we not win but it was terrible to watch.

Cool. I do still stand by my theory.

I also can't help wondering how we would all feel about Dome if he had won a couple more games in the back stretch. We still finish 3rd. We still lose in the conf semis. I would argue that both those results are perfectly reasonable. I just think everyone would be a lot more open to (a) our current roster construction and (b) Dome's potential, even though we basically got the same outcomes.

A few more wins and we’re playing CCL matches next month instead of flying to the Middle East for exhibitions without commentary.

I thought you were making good sense until then. Two more wins means the team improved 3 straight years. It means breaking 60 points for the first time. It also most likely means the team does not go more than 2 months (July 14 to Sept 26) without winning a home game, after winning 10 of the first 11. Those are all big deals, especially the latter for those of us who go to the home games. Attaining these secondary goals are exactly most important when you don't finish higher in the standings, or playoffs. I think it perfectly normal and rational that this changes how fans perceive the 2018 season and Dome.
A few more wins and we’re playing CCL matches next month instead of flying to the Middle East for exhibitions without commentary.
You could also add in the anecdotal observation that not only did we not win but it was terrible to watch.
All really fair points. I should have been more specific about no difference in where we finished in the conference and the playoffs. Feeling of progression vs last year, quality on the pitch and definitely CCL would all have been huge.

well he apparently likes him so you will see much more of him this year.

though i constantly chuckle at your daily reminders of your hate for medina and his DP status. but who knows maybe ill join you at the end of this season in bashing him.

tenor.gif

Do we know what the Romanian transfer window is? Wasn’t there word that the guys team wanted to line up a replacement if they sold him?

Its February. I was really looking forward to meaningful soccer at Yankee Stadium later this month, damnit! Next year?

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
I love how everyone (including commentators around MLS) are wondering how we will ever make up for our striker leaving to play in Japan. Meanwhile, the Red Bulls just lost a midfielder who is performing wonderfully in the Bundesliga, yet nobody is wondering how he is being replaced.

Last edited:
I love how everyone (including commentators around MLS) are wondering how we will ever make up for our striker leaving to play in Japan. Meanwhile, a Red Bulls' just lost a midfielder who is performing wonderfully in the Bundesliga, yet nobody is wondering how he is being replaced.
And likely Kaku, who pitched in 6 and 11 last year...

Reactions: SoupInNYC and JayH
I love how everyone (including commentators around MLS) are wondering how we will ever make up for our striker leaving to play in Japan. Meanwhile, a Red Bulls' just lost a midfielder who is performing wonderfully in the Bundesliga, yet nobody is wondering how he is being replaced.

But RBNJ has an academy guy (Casseres?) so they are just fine - sentiment from RBNJ fans

Reactions: Kjbert