2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
Last edited:
Seems like a fiery little guy, I like that. Hopefully he doesn't flop around like Taty though.

One Taty flop in the playoffs in a moment that got away from him has been absurdly extrapolated. He rarely flopped during any other occasion, in fact I'd say he proved to be one of our most hard nosed players often taking a hit from a defender and bouncing right back up or fighting for position and giving it right back. I don't know if its some kind of weird Guzan love because of USMNT connections but one moment of a very young player doing something dumb in a super high pressure situation has been wildly blown out of proportion by a large segment of our fan base. Other than the Atlanta game name one other time you saw Taty flop?

upload_2019-1-29_20-19-11.jpeg

#Iamadesignatedplayer

giphy.gif

I said his league announced it. Which is pretty official. We’ll probably get official news from CFG some time late May after he’s played 10 or so games.

That Twitter account is unverified and not linked on the league's website, which only lists a Facebook page. The deal's happening, we just shouldn't take that tweet as official confirmation from Romania lest we incur the wrath of LionNYC LionNYC.

You see the irony in this quote right?

Only one person has gummed up discussion on this thread with walls of text devoid of contribution, and honestly nobody has derailed more threads into meaningless conversation (or shouting) on these forums.

Inb4 "guys I'm just a wild and crazy guy who speaks his mind, lighten up and don't take everything so seriously" aka "I'm all about actions and fuck consequences"
You see the irony in this quote right?

Only one person has gummed up discussion on this thread with walls of text devoid of contribution, and honestly nobody has derailed more threads into meaningless conversation (or shouting) on these forums.

Inb4 "guys I'm just a wild and crazy guy who speaks his mind, lighten up and don't take everything so seriously" aka "I'm all about actions and fuck consequences"
Hey, fuck you, too, buddy.

(ETA: for the record, I rescpect your contributions.) and you’re welcome to ignore me any time. I don’t mind at all.

As a matter of fact, if you think I don’t add anything of value to you, you really should.

Up to you, though. I’m cool either way.

Last edited:
am i the only one who loves when Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan goes on a rant? When i first started on this forum i couldnt stand him, but now i look forward to when he posts, its pure entertainment.

It’s performance art with a purpose. Mainly to highlight bullshit.

But I do think that guys post was sycophantic.

And I actually don’t respect that other guy’s opinion.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I know the optimists are in the minority here. But count me one of them. Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan you can call me a sycophant if you wish.

I chalk up the hate on Dome's comments 100% to language barrier. I live with two people who learned English late in life. It took a long time of living together to really understand just how frequently (a) I was misinterpreting them and (b) their ideas were way more intelligent than I gave them credit for.

This seems 100% in line with his early experiences at Barca and seems to fit exactly the roster he is building.
Dude, you already know what I think of your soccer opinions: DELUSIONAL. ;)

ETA: but I do respect them because they are well-rationalized/explained.

Reactions: FootyLovin
That Twitter account is unverified and not linked on the league's website, which only lists a Facebook page. The deal's happening, we just shouldn't take that tweet as official confirmation from Romania lest we incur the wrath of LionNYC LionNYC.

LionNYC gives no fucks. LionMOD wants scalps.

I hope you’re right. I just don’t see the goal scorer on the roster. Maxi is what he is. Isi probably played the best he ever has last year. Medina is huge question mark. Berget is gone.
Can somebody dig up the stats on where the goals came from when DV was injured last year? Granted it wasn’t under Dome but the goals were coming from Isi etc and IIRC there was speculation at the time on this board that maybe Villa wasn’t so crucial any more. For myself, I remember thinking Medina fell off when Villa returned and wondering if the two were connected.

If we get to May with a drastic falloff in total goals AND no major DP or TAM signing in sight then i will be upset. Im witholding judgement for now.

Can somebody dig up the stats on where the goals came from when DV was injured last year? Granted it wasn’t under Dome but the goals were coming from Isi etc and IIRC there was speculation at the time on this board that maybe Villa wasn’t so crucial any more. For myself, I remember thinking Medina fell off when Villa returned and wondering if the two were connected.

If we get to May with a drastic falloff in total goals AND no major DP or TAM signing in sight then i will be upset. Im witholding judgement for now.
The team played incredibly well during Villa’s injury absence- don’t remember that specific stats, but scoring wasn’t an issue. However, I’m fairly sure the strike/conversion rate was off the charts and everything was going in, which while not necessarily a “fluke” isn’t sustainable. Then again, those shots were on target, and at the end of the season the team couldn’t hit the side of a barn if it was right in front of them.

Reactions: Kjbert
Can somebody dig up the stats on where the goals came from when DV was injured last year? Granted it wasn’t under Dome
It was under Dome. Villa's extended injury break actually coincided - roughly- with the first half of Dome's time when the team won.
Dome coached 19 games. Villa started 11 of them. Ten of his starts came during the 13 points in 13 games stretch. Dome did much better without Villa in the lineup.
The correlation is there, leaving us to figure out cause and effect.

It was under Dome. Villa's extended injury break actually coincided - roughly- with the first half of Dome's time when the team won.
Dome coached 19 games. Villa started 11 of them. Ten of his starts came during the 13 points in 13 games stretch. Dome did much better without Villa in the lineup.
The correlation is there, leaving us to figure out cause and effect.
Thanks.

The team played incredibly well during Villa’s injury absence- don’t remember that specific stats, but scoring wasn’t an issue. However, I’m fairly sure the strike/conversion rate was off the charts and everything was going in, which while not necessarily a “fluke” isn’t sustainable. Then again, those shots were on target, and at the end of the season the team couldn’t hit the side of a barn if it was right in front of them.

Went through and tried to collect the data manually. There were a couple of games where Villa subbed on late after most or all of the goals had been scored so I counted those games as without Villa. All others that Villa played I counted as with Villa. Including playoffs we played 24 games with Villa and 14 games without him. Maxi and ITS did score at a higher rate when Villa was out but not nearly high enough to cover for the absence of Villa:

Total team goals per game with Villa: 1.42
Total team goals per game without Villa: 1.04

Goals per player Without Villa (14 games)

Maxi 6
Medina 3
ITS 7
Tinnerholm 2
Berget 2
Ofori 1
Mata 1
Lewis 1
Taty 1
Wallace 1

Goals per player With Villa (24 Games)

Maxi 3