2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
Maybe my mind is on something else, but I believe he flopped a few times when he had possession inside the box. I'm not just basing this off one moment against Atlanta. I'm not a lover of Guzan by any means and don't care who the goalie was in the situation, that doesn't have any affect on me calling out a flop.

I'm also going to say I classify a flop as going down softly trying to get a foul called, not just a Neymar-ian mini seizure after someone blew their nose within 6 feet of him. I don't have any exact footage, but I will try to keep an eye out this season for a moment where Taty flops, if he does.
Taty’s Flop was bad, but (if I remember correctly) Medina also went down once or twice on no contact right before his injury. The entire forum was pissed at him that match for being a DP while turning in a childlike performance.

Reactions: Schwallacus
The way they have talked up Taty in the offseason makes me agree that he starts. Possibly as your CF.

I also think we’ll see some of Medina in midfield in pre-season.

Reactions: Schwallacus
Reactions: LostAnvil and adam
Now the Romanian league seems to be saying "if." I think accepting a machine translation of a league tweet as official - and with no confirmation from either team - might be premature adam adam .

View attachment 9500

Meh, we even have MLS' site hinting at it. https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...-fc-set-acquire-alex-mitrita-9-1-million-deal

giphy.gif

this is why i dont like MLS to publish these rumor articles ( this one or any other one for any team). leave that to other outlets not the league site, some may take it as official and then deal falls thru and it just looks bad imo on the league.

I think they have to do it, because no one else is reporting on it in the USA. A better solution would be to start an MLS backed soccer news website. Publish all the rumors and nonsense there. Leave the official MLS site for the actual news, scores, etc... But that would lower traffic and ad dollars for both.

I think they have to do it, because no one else is reporting on it in the USA. A better solution would be to start an MLS backed soccer news website. Publish all the rumors and nonsense there. Leave the official MLS site for the actual news, scores, etc... But that would lower traffic and ad dollars for both.

i guess similar to MLB Trade rumors site ( though i think thats independent from MLB) can work. I just feel twitter even within bloggers/ the athletic people, SBI and espn fc is normally enough. But you right i guess the traffic ad dollars is just too much for them to let go by not writing these articles.

but even the whole did nycfc make the CCL or not article was published and changed twice in the MLS site as well, and that was another cluster fuck. just makes it look bad.

meh, i digress.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Might fit better here:

Mlssoccer.com reports*:
1/25/2019: Juan Pablo Torres to join NYCFC. DID IT HAPPEN? YES
1/10/2019: NYCFC interested in Gary Mackay-Steven. DID IT HAPPEN? Not Yet
11/26/2018 & 12/31/2018: Kevin Quevedo could join NYCFC. DID IT HAPPEN? No
11/20/2018: NYCFC targeting Sergio Leon. STATUS: DID IT HAPPEN? No
11/13/2018: David Villa to play one more season, not for NYCFC. DID IT HAPPEN? Yes
8/17/2018: Nice offer EUR 7 million for Jesus Medina. DID IT HAPPEN? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
1/30/2018: Man City to buy and loan Jack Harrison. DID IT HAPPEN? Yes
1/21/2018: Stoke bid $4.5 million for Jack Harrison. DID IT HAPPEN? No, but ^
1/5/2018: NYCFC interested in Joey Pelupessy. DID IT HAPPEN? No
12/17/2017: Jesus Medina says he will sign with NYCFC. DID IT HAPPEN? Yes
12/11/2017: NYCFC sign Anton Tinnerholm. DID IT HAPPEN? Yes

*Tagged as a report, clearly references NYCFC in headline, from today until I got tired of looking.

They also reported Pirlo rumors before he signed, but I didn't got back far enough. It seems like they're pretty good with language - if they say someone signed, they signed; if they say someone is interested/targeted/bidding, be more skeptical

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
this is why i dont like MLS to publish these rumor articles ( this one or any other one for any team). leave that to other outlets not the league site, some may take it as official and then deal falls thru and it just looks bad imo on the league.

I don't think it looks bad on the league -- they all do it; the articles pretty clearly say whether they're rumors, official, etc. Posting rumors/speculation is not intended for you, it's intended for the (probably large) segment of MLS fans who don't follow the offseason terribly closely.

MLB does the same thing: (example: https://www.mlb.com/news/2018-2019-mlb-free-agents-and-trade-rumors/c-297641124?tid=282421090)

It's another way for MLS to keep interest up during the offseason. Nothing wrong with it, and a pretty standard practice throughout American sports IMO.

I don't think it looks bad on the league -- they all do it; the articles pretty clearly say whether they're rumors, official, etc. Posting rumors/speculation is not intended for you, it's intended for the (probably large) segment of MLS fans who don't follow the offseason terribly closely.

MLB does the same thing: (example: https://www.mlb.com/news/2018-2019-mlb-free-agents-and-trade-rumors/c-297641124?tid=282421090)

It's another way for MLS to keep interest up during the offseason. Nothing wrong with it, and a pretty standard practice throughout American sports IMO.

true, but those rumors etc are all within the league. so in a way its is own news and normally written with sources of people that are like 85% really in the know. In MLS we dealing with other countries and other leagues and the "insiders" are probably no more right/wrong than me and you.

true, but those rumors etc are all within the league. so in a way its is own news and normally written with sources of people that are like 85% really in the know. In MLS we dealing with other countries and other leagues and the "insiders" are probably no more right/wrong than me and you.

Even if the reports are wrong, I don't think it harms the league to have people talking about potential moves.