2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
Think a more defensive-minded Maxi. He's an offensively capable 6 and the only midfielder on the roster other than Maxi that can hold possession and pick out probing passes that skip lines (though Ofori has been doing a pretty good job at this lately).

I wrote more about him here: https://theoutfield.org/2019/02/20/meet-six-new-nycfc-players-who-are-not-david-villa/

The youtube clip there I think gives a great visual summary.

Parks is a perfect 8 in our 3-4-3, I think. Should be first off the bench for either Ring or Ofori.

I changed my vote for defender since we need a LB. not sure if it’s “splashy”. But if solidifying our roster so we can win the cup is splashy, then we need to go full Greg Louganis this summer.

Reactions: Kjbert
Parks is a perfect 8 in our 3-4-3, I think. Should be first off the bench for either Ring or Ofori.

Screen-Shot-2019-05-07-at-9-00-40-PM.png

Reactions: Kjbert
Come on, man. Kangaroo Jack asked two questions clearly intended as alternative options and you answered “yes” without saying which question you were saying “yes” to. Basically the classic bad work email reply.

So, let’s try again:

Is your statement that “Mix didn’t want to play soccer here” based on (a) first-hand access to the locker room and club staff, or (b) second-hand reporting in news stories?

Please answer either “(a)” or “(b).” Multiple answers or answers in any other format will not be counted for purposes of scoring this exam.

A

Reactions: JayH and sundance
Do we know if it’s TAM or GAM yet?

I’m assuming it’s TAM since teams have to spend it and Colorado doesn’t do shit.

Reactions: Schwallacus
The writing was on the wall for him if he shined with the USMNT and wasn’t getting minutes at the club level. At that point, it doesn’t matter what he says, a transfer is best for everybody if the club can’t look past things to play him.
Shined with the USMNT?? No way.

Yes, he played well in ten or twenty minutes between two international friendlies during January camp. No other countries care about the January camp, they're for determining if the backup keepers are potentially decent and maybe finding the guy who will be the 23rd spot for your NT in the World Cup. It's not like Berhalter has been giving him minutes and he's in the discussion to be a starting winger for the USMNT. He's not.

Maybe Colorado will give him a chance to shine. But when two different coaches only play him in a spotty super sub role, maybe all he is able to do is play 5 minutes and run at tired defenses.

Yes, the kid created chances at times when he came on. But he's also been the reason for giving up goals and letting runs go past him. We need to stop raising him up as if he's the next Messi but wasn't given a chance. He's not a bad player but he hasn't been a good one consistently either. He couldn't break into the 11, but now he's being given a chance elsewhere to show if he has the ability to do so, or flounder.

I’m not sold on the kid. Sad to see him go, but it wasn’t going to work out here anyway. I’m praying we got GAM but it’s probably just TAM.

The good news is that if it is TAM, it needs to be spent and that means there is another reinforcement on the horizon.

I’m not sold on the kid. Sad to see him go, but it wasn’t going to work out here anyway. I’m praying we got GAM but it’s probably just TAM.

The good news is that if it is TAM, it needs to be spent and that means there is another reinforcement on the horizon.

Maybe its essentially a Jonathan Lewis for Christian Fuchs swap.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
What did Fuchs do this season but collect splinters?

I don’t think he’s been good for two seasons.

Same could be said for Lewis. Fuchs is still an upgrade over Sweat/Mata.

Shined with the USMNT?? No way.

Yes, he played well in ten or twenty minutes between two international friendlies during January camp. No other countries care about the January camp, they're for determining if the backup keepers are potentially decent and maybe finding the guy who will be the 23rd spot for your NT in the World Cup. It's not like Berhalter has been giving him minutes and he's in the discussion to be a starting winger for the USMNT. He's not.

Maybe Colorado will give him a chance to shine. But when two different coaches only play him in a spotty super sub role, maybe all he is able to do is play 5 minutes and run at tired defenses.

Yes, the kid created chances at times when he came on. But he's also been the reason for giving up goals and letting runs go past him. We need to stop raising him up as if he's the next Messi but wasn't given a chance. He's not a bad player but he hasn't been a good one consistently either. He couldn't break into the 11, but now he's being given a chance elsewhere to show if he has the ability to do so, or flounder.
I stand by my comment that he shined with the USMNT - a player can only perform within the parameters given, and he did more than enough to garner widespread news coverage from the American pundits with everybody questioning why he wasn’t getting club minutes.

And the argument that he was the cause of many goals given up is old, tired, and myopic. I’ve personally called out multiple other players on the team, during the shoutbox and postmatch threads, who have visibly given up on plays that directly lead to goals. It’s amazing that they constantly get a pass and Lewis is castrated. There’s no denying the double-standard so don’t bother trying to rebut it.

And the notion of whether he’s been a good or bad player is a false flag considering the club force feeds minutes to the worst winger on the team, Medina. Unfortunately, Lewis never got the same opportunities.