2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
Which coach (that’s known him since he was little) did he fall out of favor with? Are you talking about his loan, because as far as I know there hasn’t been any public feedback on his stint?
Yeah, I like Lewis but I’m concerned that he hasn’t found a consistent place with either Patrick or Dome. (And, Korker Korker , are you referring to the USL coach as the one who knows Lewis from an early age?) And at this point I wouldn’t bet he ever will.

Similar to roxfontaine ’s take on Saad, I hope for his own sake Lewis moves this offseason. If we’re not going to use him, he should go somewhere he can play.
Yeah, referring to Hackworth. Take this as you will but I have some friends that are Louisville supporters. All pretty much said the same thing, that he was more of a headache than anything. A decent amount of the players didn't even want him there because he was just a distraction in the room and would get on peoples nerves easily.

Side note: during his USL stint, he played in 5 games, all coming against bottom half teams. In those games, he had a combined total of 4 shots, 1 on net and on assist in 247 minutes. Three games he went 60+, other two came on as a sub and played 17 minutes and 21 minutes, respectively. In 219 minutes in MLS play, he appeared in 14 games, had 1 goal. So between USL and MLS, he had 1 goal in 466 minutes. Goal scoring rate is not that good going off of these numbers.

So our Day 1 starting 11 looks like...

-------Shradi--Berget--Medina--------
-------Sands-Moralez-Ring------------
-Sweat-Ibeagha-Callens-Tinnerholm-
-------------Johnson----------------------

Reactions: canchon
So who do we protect for the Expansion Draft?

1. Sean Johnson
2. Anton Tinnerholm
3. Sebastien Ibeagha
4. Alex Callens
5. Ronald Matarrita
6. Ben Sweat
7. Alex Ring
8. Maxi Moralez
9. Jesus Medina
10. Valentine Castellanos
11. Ismael Tajouri-Shradi

Automatically Protected: Joe Scally, James Sands, Jonathan Lewis

That leaves the following players unprotected: Brad Stuver, Jeff Caldwell, Cedric Hountondji, Daniel Bedoya, Jo Inge Berget

NYCFC furiously sending JIB highlights to Cincinnati now

TOTAL - $2,243k (less amounts bought down by TAM)

NYCFC right now
giphy.gif

Shocked at Chanot, but it makes sense.
Here's my take on how this off-season is going to go (someone remember this post when I'm right):
  • We sign a DP flashy striker
  • We sign some homegrown to midfield (maybe haak) and play sands/scally more
  • We sign two flashy defenders to replace sweat and chanot
  • A bunch of backups for our main players I.e. Maxi, tinnerholm
This looks to me like the final "get rid of the oldies" move. We have been going younger and younger, and amagat was brought in strictly because we thought yangel was done (they did say eloi wasn't going to return back in like August when he came) so I think this year is when we really start taking advantage of our Academy and homegrowns. RB, Philly, and RSL have all brought in incredible players through it, and I can see us doing the same next year. We probably get a striker between 27-31, too.

Yeah, referring to Hackworth. Take this as you will but I have some friends that are Louisville supporters. All pretty much said the same thing, that he was more of a headache than anything. A decent amount of the players didn't even want him there because he was just a distraction in the room and would get on peoples nerves easily.

Side note: during his USL stint, he played in 5 games, all coming against bottom half teams. In those games, he had a combined total of 4 shots, 1 on net and on assist in 247 minutes. Three games he went 60+, other two came on as a sub and played 17 minutes and 21 minutes, respectively. In 219 minutes in MLS play, he appeared in 14 games, had 1 goal. So between USL and MLS, he had 1 goal in 466 minutes. Goal scoring rate is not that good going off of these numbers.
It’s been discussed endlessly that midseason loans universally piss off the new clubs players because it’s taking minutes away from a long time teammate, happened with Jack at Middlesbrough, so I’m not going to hold that against anybody. Offensive production is also more than straight goals, it’s also assists and as the forum’s calls ‘em hockey assists (the pass that springs the whole play sequence). Lewis has been as hot this year as last, but he has been very productive with his offensive contributions having been the catalyst to multiple saved points this year. And lastly, if we’re really gonna just look at pure goals/minutes, then that same standard has to be used for all forwards and we’ve had players over the last two years not pulling their weight but still starting and getting regular minutes.

The kid may have his issues, but he’s being held to a different standard than others on the team that get a pass.

It’s been discussed endlessly that midseason loans universally piss off the new clubs players because it’s taking minutes away from a long time teammate, happened with Jack at Middlesbrough, so I’m not going to hold that against anybody. Offensive production is also more than straight goals, it’s also assists and as the forum’s calls ‘em hockey assists (the pass that springs the whole play sequence). Lewis has been as hot this year as last, but he has been very productive with his offensive contributions having been the catalyst to multiple saved points this year. And lastly, if we’re really gonna just look at pure goals/minutes, then that same standard has to be used for all forwards and we’ve had players over the last two years not pulling their weight but still starting and getting regular minutes.

The kid may have his issues, but he’s being held to a different standard than others on the team that get a pass.
We're obviously not going to see eye to eye on Lewis, and that's not an issue.

Random question since you brought up hockey, do you watch/follow at all?

Y'all kill me with this "attitude" shit on Jonathan Lewis. Literally nobody has ever said that about him outside of y'all and speculating "journalists." I know who ACTUALLY has a fuckin' attitude and nobody ever talks about his attitude.
Yeah, idk about that stuff. Lacking other information to explain Lewis’s weird combination of great offensive performance and notable lack of playing time, I’ve speculated here and there that he may have an attitude or fit issue, but people just started running with that stuff at some point (assisted by a couple of posters alleging behind the scenes knowledge — reliability being anyone’s guess). Explanations aside, I just hope he finds a place where he can play. If that’s here, great, I’d be happy to see it, but it doesn’t seem like it will be.

Mix Diskerud. Andrea Pirlo. Jonathan Lewis.

Who's the next player that ends up being endlessly debated on the forums?
Taty seems likeliest of the current roster. I guess most of us have given up on Berget and we’ll just have to repeat ourselves on Sweat, but once Taty starts appearing more consistently next season I could see some strong divided opinions springing up on whether his potential justifies playing him through the growing pains. (For now, I’m optimistic.)