2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
Mix Diskerud. Andrea Pirlo. Jonathan Lewis.

Who's the next player that ends up being endlessly debated on the forums?

Medina's got to be a hot topic next year: either he starts to make the leap or he becomes a consensus mediocre DP everybody resents. I'm still leaning toward Option A (although I think the progress may come as an attacking mid alongside Maxi in a 4-1-4-1, like against Vancouver and the second half of the last Atlanta game).

Taty seems likeliest of the current roster. I guess most of us have given up on Berget and we’ll just have to repeat ourselves on Sweat, but once Taty starts appearing more consistently next season I could see some strong divided opinions springing up on whether his potential justifies playing him through the growing pains. (For now, I’m optimistic.)
Going to go with Medina. Feel like this is his prove it year and it's going to divide most.

Taty seems likeliest of the current roster. I guess most of us have given up on Berget and we’ll just have to repeat ourselves on Sweat, but once Taty starts appearing more consistently next season I could see some strong divided opinions springing up on whether his potential justifies playing him through the growing pains. (For now, I’m optimistic.)
I probably should have also included Sweat in that list.

I just hope he finds a place where he can play.

This. He is a totally capable player. Arguably the best of his class and he is the only one of his class NOT starting in MLS. He was a #3 pick, well on his way to USMNT, Generation Adidas and full of potential and desire. He wants to be here. This I know for a fact. He needs the space to grow and I'm certain that he would thrive. He lost so much time here behind glamour contracts and internal politics. I hope he gets the time he needs next year or a fresh start.

For me, the narrative should be that he's been very patient, very competitive and very committed. He just hasn't gotten the break the real break he needs.

This. He is a totally capable player. Arguably the best of his class and he is the only one of his class NOT starting in MLS. He was a #3 pick, well on his way to USMNT, Generation Adidas and full of potential and desire. He wants to be here. This I know for a fact. He needs the space to grow and I'm certain that he would thrive. He lost so much time here behind glamour contracts and internal politics. I hope he gets the time he needs next year or a fresh start.

For me, the narrative should be that he's been very patient, very competitive and very committed. He just hasn't gotten the break the real break he needs.

seems to me like he isn't good enough since every other player in the MLS is also: full of potential with desire, competitive, patient, committed and want to be there.
politics shmolotics. he went on loan to play and still sucked.

Opinions will also be colored by how much Taty's buy option turns out to be, if we ever find out.

Medina's got to be a hot topic next year: either he starts to make the leap or he becomes a consensus mediocre DP everybody resents. I'm still leaning toward Option A (although I think the progress may come as an attacking mid alongside Maxi in a 4-1-4-1, like against Vancouver and the second half of the last Atlanta game).
He needs consistency. He needs to start every game and be trusted to deliver. He played in 28 this year and started 21 of them. 6 goals and 4 assists
For his previous club he played 35, started 24 and scored 8 goals. 17 total prior to coming to NYCFC. I’m not gonna say we’ve seen him at his peak, I don’t believe that at all. He’s a young player who clearly has talent. There’s no way we capitalize on it unless he’s starting day in and day out and Dome figures out exactly what he wants and sells it to the players.
I know he was hurt for a bit this year and that’s part of it. We need to be patient with him and hope that this club can unlock his full potential.

He needs consistency. He needs to start every game and be trusted to deliver. He played in 28 this year and started 21 of them. 6 goals and 4 assists
For his previous club he played 35, started 24 and scored 8 goals. 17 total prior to coming to NYCFC. I’m not gonna say we’ve seen him at his peak, I don’t believe that at all. He’s a young player who clearly has talent. There’s no way we capitalize on it unless he’s starting day in and day out and Dome figures out exactly what he wants and sells it to the players.
I know he was hurt for a bit this year and that’s part of it. We need to be patient with him and hope that this club can unlock his full potential.
Substitute the player Lewis for Medina and it reads the same..... just saying.....

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan

Medina has heaps of talent. My worry is that the MLS is not a good league for him. He's really weak and gets knocked off ball constantly. It gets into his head and he starts to actively avoid the contact causing him to completely disappear in games for long stretches. Still super young so hopefully he gets stronger but I could see him continuing to struggle for us only to flourish following a transfer to a less physical league.

On Wallace, you need Americans on your roster. It’s that simple.
I'd be ok with him coming back on a much cheaper contract, say half of what he was making this last year and as a end of the bench option. He just shouldn't be getting as much playing time as he did this year, especially when the score is even or we are down. He needs to be a guy that comes in to protect a lead as a defensive forward.

As MLS continues to grow and bring in more talented players, guys like Wallace should slowly get phased out.

Reactions: Kjbert
Quiz time: how many are left from the starting 11 or full 18 on Opening Day 2016, the start of the PV era?
Just 1. Starting LB Ronald Matarrita

View attachment 9349
Nice quiz. Amazing roster turnover.

Worth noting that while the starting RW in that game is no longer with us, there is a good chance he starts in the MLS Cup final.

Nice quiz. Amazing roster turnover.

Worth noting that while the starting RW in that game is no longer with us, there is a good chance he starts in the MLS Cup final.

Even more amazing when you consider that Mata would likely be gone too if not for missing the world cup with an injury. All signs pointed towards a plan to see high on him followed a decent showing at the WC.

# - half his annual salary of $261k

Do you have a source on this part? I've asked around and the only informed opinion I've gotten so far (based on Brad Guzan, I think) is that the number in the MLSPA salary data is the actual amount that summer signings earn, not an extrapolation to what they would have made for a full season.