2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
Why don’t we build from what we know right now?

GK: Sean Johnson
LB: ?
CB: Alex Callens
CB: Seb Ibeagha
RB: Anton Tinnerholm
DM: Alex Ring
CM: ?
AM: Maxi Morales
RW: Jesus Medina
CF: ?
LW: Isi Tajouri-Shradi

Johnson is a no brainer in goal. Same with Callens and Tinnerholm. I think Ibeagha and Hountondji are your #2 and #3 CBs clearly heading into camp. Ring and Maxi start of course. If Medina isn’t an automatic starter, he shouldn’t be with this team next year. It’s a waste of a roster spot as a DP. We all agree that Isi, though streaky, is a starter in this league.

So where does that leave us? Berget COULD open the season as a CF, but we won’t score enough goals. Sands could open the season in a double pivot, but were awfully thin in midfield.

I think the CF role is the most important decision no matter what. I know PV was recruiting a new LB. not convinced Dome sticks with Sweat as the starter there.

I think we need to sign 2 CMs this off-season. One needs to be a TAM level impact player. I could see the other one being a loanee again from someplace. I think you go into the season with Sands as your backup for the Ring/TAM CM pairing.

Only other though is that Medina and Maxi play as two #10s behind Berget and they go get a flashy winger.

So aside from a striker, biggest holes in the lineup?

I'd say another box to box center midfielder, left back, and center back.

And taller forwards.

To me, the question is whether we use the DP spot on a striker or a box-to-box mid. You can make cases, both ways, I think.

We need another top flight guy at forward and in midfield. The question is where you want to add a potentially elite talent.

I know PV was recruiting a new LB. not convinced Dome sticks with Sweat as the starter there.
One of Sweat or Matarrita, whom you left out, has to get significant minutes next year, or we have to figure out a way to get rid of one or both. We can't have $600k and 2 roster slots taken up by guys who only get spot backup minutes at the same position, and also carry Berget's $800k.

One advantage Sweat and Mata have is a certain amount of positional flexibility. Sweat showed himself reasonably capable as a backup CB last year, and is perhaps a better defender as a CB than as an outside back. Mata played multiple midfield positions. But it appears that Dome just doesn't rate Berget at all, based on how touchy he was during that Araos incident.

Last edited:
One of Sweat or Matarrita, whom you left out, has to get significant minutes next year, or we have to figure out a way to get rid of one or both. We can't have $600k and 2 roster slots taken up by guys who only get spot backup minutes at the same position, and also carry Berget's $800k.

One advantage Sweat and Mata have is a certain amount of positional flexibility. Sweat showed himself reasonably capable as a backup CB last year, and is perhaps a better defender as a CB than as a back. Mata played multiple midfield positions. But it appears that Dome just doesn't rate Berget at all, based on how touchy he was during that Araos incident.
+1. If LB is a question mark, the real question is what the heck you think is happening with our current contracts.

Whatever happened with Nahuel Ferraresi? He was reported to be signed in August 2017, loaned into Torque, and was supposed to join us for the 2018 season. Apparently he's playing with Peralada now. But if you run a search on him here, we all assumed he was coming and there's several dozen posts about him. In December 2017 he is mentioned more than 20 times, all with the understanding he would be joining us. Then... Nothing after December 20, 2017. He never showed up,there was no announcement made about why, and until now nobody has asked about him.

Whatever happened with Nahuel Ferraresi? He was reported to be signed in August 2017, loaned into Torque, and was supposed to join us for the 2018 season. Apparently he's playing with Peralada now. But if you run a search on him here, we all assumed he was coming and there's several dozen posts about him. In December 2017 he is mentioned more than 20 times, all with the understanding he would be joining us. Then... Nothing after December 20, 2017. He never showed up,there was no announcement made about why, and until now nobody has asked about him.

Maybe he only wanted to play for PV?

Reactions: Kjbert
Maybe he only wanted to play for PV?
Who knows?
I'm probably more intrigued at how the forums just forgot wbout him. There's multiple posts about him, and the expected combo of him and Medina on Dec 19-20. Then he doesn't show up for training camp a month later, and it's like
giphy.gif

Reactions: adam and mgarbowski