2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
We only have 3 wide players on the roster right now that are worth shit. Matarrita, Tinnerholm and ITS.

Why not play the two natural defenders wide and ITS behind Berget.
Not sure Mata can be considered a natural defender.

Reactions: Jock
Any reason why we would do this before the expansion draft? Wouldnt this have been an excellent contract to negotiate the day after Cincinnati picked? I can't imagine they would have wasted the pick on an international they have no guarantee would stay around.
It's probable that we already know what Cincinnati is doing, and this doesn't impact that.

NYCFC DEPTH CHART: End of 2018 Season & after roster moves

Striker/Wing: Villa, Berget
Wing/CAM: Moralez, Medina, Tajouri-Shradi, Castellanos, Wallace, Lewis
CM: Ring, Herrera, Ofori, Amagat, Sands, McNamara, Awuah, Bedoya
RB: Tinnerholm, ?Abdul-Salaam?, Scally
LB: Matarrita, Sweat
CB: Chanot, Callens, Ibeagha, Hountondji, Owusu?
GK: Johnson, Stuver, Caldwell, Rawls

Reactions: FootyLovin
Possibly that too.

We’re going to be forced to leave some cheap players unprotected. The Chanot announcement yesterday was properly criticized for the timing. I just think they know who cincy is taking and/or have a deal in place.
I doubt anyone knows this due to MLS opacity, but...
Can we make an enforceable deal with Cincy before the trade window opens? To be specific, is it possible we had a deal with Cincinnati, announce Chanot, and then Cincinnati says the deal is off and we have to decide whether to protect him or someone else we didn't plan on?

Reactions: Kjbert
Can we make an enforceable deal with Cincy before the trade window opens? To be specific, is it possible we had a deal with Cincinnati, announce Chanot, and then Cincinnati says the deal is off and we have to decide whether to protect him or someone else we didn't plan on?
An interesting question. I imagine it would not be a great way for them to introduce themselves to the league. Would be hard to transact with your fellow GMs after pulling a stunt like that.

Impossible to say. But even if a deal isn’t enforceable in a strict sense, there should be powerful incentive for the teams to deal honestly with each other. In a closed system, with the necessity of repeated dealing with the same parties over time (and not just in player transactions, but in all league business), reputation becomes a critical matter. Going back on a deal in that context in general would be highly irrational. I think it’s safe to assume that *if* any deal is in place, the parties are pretty likely to stick to it.

An interesting question. I imagine it would not be a great way for them to introduce themselves to the league. Would be hard to transact with your fellow GMs after pulling a stunt like that.
Impossible to say. But even if a deal isn’t enforceable in a strict sense, there should be powerful incentive for the teams to deal honestly with each other. In a closed system, with the necessity of repeated dealing with the same parties over time (and not just in player transactions, but in all league business), reputation becomes a critical matter. Going back on a deal in that context in general would be highly irrational. I think it’s safe to assume that *if* any deal is in place, the parties are pretty likely to stick to it.

I agree that Cincy blows its trust capital with Reyna and NYCFC completely if they do this. I also think no other team will have our backs. Say Houston approaches Cincy with a better deal last night and to take it Cincy has to renege on NYC. Houston won't care. And the other 21 teams will probably think "they didn't break a promise to us." They might be more careful when dealing with Cincy in the future, but they won't punish them or refuse a good deal out of principle.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Whatever we do, I hope we can shorten the talent gap with ATL. It's been kind of a schadenfreude experience to see how they've flattened the NJ cows and the Timbers even more authoritatively than they did us. Yesterday's MLS Cup game was pretty one-sided.

So who do we protect for the Expansion Draft?

1. Sean Johnson
2. Anton Tinnerholm
3. Sebastien Ibeagha
4. Alex Callens
5. Ronald Matarrita
6. Ben Sweat
7. Alex Ring
8. Maxi Moralez
9. Jesus Medina
10. Valentine Castellanos
11. Ismael Tajouri-Shradi

Automatically Protected: Joe Scally, James Sands, Jonathan Lewis

That leaves the following players unprotected: Brad Stuver, Jeff Caldwell, Cedric Hountondji, Daniel Bedoya, Jo Inge Berget

Updated...

1. Sean Johnson
2. Anton Tinnerholm
3. Sebastien Ibeagha
4. Alex Callens
5. Ronald Matarrita
6. Ben Sweat
7. Alex Ring
8. Maxi Moralez
9. [Remove: Jesus Medina] Maxime Chanot
10. Valentine Castellanos
11. Ismael Tajouri-Shradi

Similarly to leaving Berget unprotected because of his salary, same tactic with Medina.