2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
Having Sweat, Tinnerholm and Matarita play as wingbacks would suit their particular sets of talents.
giphy.gif
Having Sweat retire would be optimal. Especially since our genius FO killed the only reason to keep him around by giving him a fat contract. Bastard couldn’t be bothered to run back or cut out a cross when he was hungry to get a living wage. Now? AS IF, mufukkers.

Last season at this time we had signed:

Tinnerholm
Stuver
Abdul-Salaam

It's December 19th. Can we give the team a chance to make some moves before we declare the offseason a disaster?
We could. But they chewed up that political capital already with Dome and friends.

Last edited:
Any list that doesn't have Maxi in it is absurd. Dude was clearly best XI in the league last season.

Maxi is our best and most important player but I can see a rationale for leaving any of our attacking players off the list based on how few goals we scored in the second half of the season. It also depends on how they categorize Maxi. I'd bet most of us recognize him as a box to box MF but most of the league probably assumes he's an attacking midfielder. It would be an easier case to advocate for him being above a bunch of the guys on the box to box list as opposed to the attacking midfielder list.

Ring is the best DM in MLS. Callens is a Top 5 CB easily.

Maxi is a borderline Top 5 CAM. Johnson is a borderline Top 5 GK.

But the defensive midfielder conversation in MLS begins with Alex Ring. He’s in a tier all by himself.

that's absurd. Ring feels like the greatest omission to me followed by Callens, and SJ.
Any list that doesn't have Maxi in it is absurd. Dude was clearly best XI in the league last season.
Maxi is our best and most important player but I can see a rationale for leaving any of our attacking players off the list based on how few goals we scored in the second half of the season. It also depends on how they categorize Maxi. I'd bet most of us recognize him as a box to box MF but most of the league probably assumes he's an attacking midfielder. It would be an easier case to advocate for him being above a bunch of the guys on the box to box list as opposed to the attacking midfielder list.
Ring is the best DM in MLS. Callens is a Top 5 CB easily.

But the defensive midfielder conversation in MLS begins with Alex Ring. He’s in a tier all by himself.

13 points in the final 13 games has had a major effect on perceptions. Flip our season so we start with that and end with 17 points in the final 7, and we're ecstatic, and MLS writers would be putting the team and its players on top of all the lists. From an individual player perspective, some at least would probably get more credit as an excellent player on a poor team. There's a certain romanticism to that. But when a team self-implodes the stink is pervasive.

TBF Maxi was an "honorable mention" for CAM.

I thought it was hilarious that Gressel made top 5 RB because he played a few games there.

What a fucking idiot.

The fact that someone pays Bobby Warshaw to provide content and analysis is a black eye to American soccer.
I've learned only to pay attention to Warshaw when he's breaking down one specific play. Anything else feels pretty consistently bait-y.

TBF Maxi was an "honorable mention" for CAM.

I thought it was hilarious that Gressel made top 5 RB because he played a few games there.

I've learned only to pay attention to Warshaw when he's breaking down one specific play. Anything else feels pretty consistently bait-y.

He’s not smart enough to be clickbaity

Reactions: Rimil
I find about 10-20% of his written or spoken commentary to be solidly informative. The rest is a mix of clickbait, undisguised trolling, and ignorant conventional wisdom.