2022 General MLS Transfer Rumors

It would be, but it sounds a bit unbelievable, unless Toronto are paying an insane amount for MLS, which would be kinda destabilizing. It would be a mega readjustment for the league, and all the big spenders would have to either play up to keep up with TOR or complain to Garber. It would be even worst for the teams like COL, Nashville, etc that have managed to stay relevant on a budget. It sounds a bit crazy, without knowing the terms of the next broadcast deal.

For comparison's sake TOR already have the most expensive player in the league in Pozuelo, who earns 4.6 M and cost apparently 11M in transfer fees.

Insigne is in a completely different league. He is the best player in one of the strongest teams in Serie A. There are many numbers flying around on the www, but it looks like his current annual salary is 9.6 million (Google and other sources say 5 M, but that sounds very low). Maybe at 30 he is looking for a last fat paycheck and only a less prestigious league like MLS is willing to offer a guaranteed 5 years at 12 million per year, which is the rumor regarding TOR. Obviously, more competitive leagues wouldn't take such a risk for a 30 year old. OTOH, Insigne is finally blooming at 30, arguably playing the best soccer of his life, a starter in the Italian national team, a star in the last Euro, etc. His valuation is around 50M (maybe a bit less because of age). He is literally twice as big in terms of current value as any previous DP.

I personally think Giovinco has been by far the best DP in MLS, and his profile was waaay lower than this. It is almost like Dybala deciding to come to MLS, except for the age.

All credit to Toronto for this one. There are a few MLS teams that would willingly open up the checkbook for a guy like Insigne. But it's really hard to convince a guy like that to come. I am talking about a guy around age 30 and still very productive in a top 5 league. We were able to do it with Villa. Not sure there are many other examples.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
All credit to Toronto for this one. There are a few MLS teams that would willingly open up the checkbook for a guy like Insigne. But it's really hard to convince a guy like that to come. I am talking about a guy around age 30 and still very productive in a top 5 league. We were able to do it with Villa. Not sure there are many other examples.
Would Beckham count with his move to LA?

This is the oddity of the game. I'd love to keep Taty if his value is $12-15 million. He is DP worthy and could star for this club for years. Obviously, at his age he wants to aim higher, and holding him here could create a toxic situation and damage our club's player-friendly image. In the end, we could conceivably end up exchanging Taty for a star DP at the tail end of his career at the same price.

Sucks for us because id rather have a younger, maturing star instead of a declining veteran, but that's the market.

This is the oddity of the game. I'd love to keep Taty if his value is $12-15 million. He is DP worthy and could star for this club for years. Obviously, at his age he wants to aim higher, and holding him here could create a toxic situation and damage our club's player-friendly image. In the end, we could conceivably end up exchanging Taty for a star DP at the tail end of his career at the same price.

Sucks for us because id rather have a younger, maturing star instead of a declining veteran, but that's the market.
I was thinking about how smart/lucky Nashville is with Mukhtar. He grows up in Germany, and plays there and 3 other European leagues. Nashville signs him before he’s 25 and he shows no sign of wanting to go back to Europe to test himself. That could change, but he also could stay in Nashville for 8-10 years in his prime

Last edited:
So to get to 11m euros/12.5m US$ net income equivalent, he'd need to be earning ~22-23m US dollars per year, given a top income tax rate of 33% in Canada + 12% in Ontario. Definitely some wiggle room with that, so maybe a bit less, but still a top 5 Premier League gross salary.

if he is really earning 22-23M per year, isn’t he making more than almost all clubs spend on payroll nowadays? Don’t clubs like RBNJ spend like 10M on total salary, so you’d have one player making more than most of the league teams spend on salary. That’s nuts.

Actually found the numbers - in 2021 the top spending team was LAG at 20 mil. So Insigne will make more than every team payroll in the entire league this past year.

I was thinking about how smart/lucky Nashville is with Mukhtar. He grows up in Germany, and plays there and 3 other European leagues. Nashville signs him before he’s25 and he shows no sign of wanting to go back to Europe. That could change, but he also could stay in Nashville for 8-10 years in his prime

Added bonus, he's really good but from a country, with a stacked national team so they never lose him during international play.

The three criteria are to be a top class player, who has gas left in the tank (no older than 32), and who is serious about MLS and gives it his best effort.

Villa and Henry fit the bill for sure. Beckham probably does, although there are reasonable questions about his commitment.

if he is really earning 22-23M per year, isn’t he making more than almost all clubs spend on payroll nowadays? Don’t clubs like RBNJ spend like 10M on total salary, so you’d have one player making more than most of the league teams spend on salary. That’s nuts.

Actually found the numbers - in 2021 the top spending team was LAG at 20 mil. So Insigne will make more than every team payroll in the entire league this past year.
While we are still going through a global pandemic, and in a league that depends a lot more on stadium ticket sales than the big European leagues. I don't understand the logic of the move from a $$$$ standpoint. Insigne is great, but he is not a Fortnite-avatar-ready kinda household name for casual fans and non-fans who could justify the move through merch sales, etc.