2022 Schedule Thread

oh yeah I agree, anything can happen... however it feels to me like this is Philly's year, they've got a bone to pick and I think I'm going to die on this hill lol

philly has had few injuries - I think Gazdag has started all 32 games for example. They also did not play CCL and lost early in the Open Cup. Those things do help with focus and rest. It definitely feels like their year. New England last year kept winning one goal games so it didn’t feel as dominant as Philly just whooping up on everyone. I even remember Bruce saying “maybe we aren’t as good as our record” after NE lost to NYC.

would love to see RBNJ win the 4-5 matchup and then play demolition derby and frustrate and knock out Philly in Philly’s first game. That would be pretty funny.

I gave up on this team last year after another dreadful performance with just 5 games to go. We didn't lose another match after that.
So the only thing giving me hope right now is that many of these players were here last year for that run, maybe they can do it again!

Reactions: Kjbert and moogoo
Really hoping we can somehow grind out that third place. 4 and 5 go to Philadelphia, and I'd much rather lose to Montreal or Columbus than to Philly. (or win because I have a feeling some of those would be easier...)

I think Philly in the playoffs won't end well for us this season.

Really hoping we can somehow grind out that third place. 4 and 5 go to Philadelphia, and I'd much rather lose to Montreal or Columbus than to Philly. (or win because I have a feeling some of those would be easier...)

I think Philly in the playoffs won't end well for us this

I think Philly in the playoffs won't end well for us this season.

i don't care who we play. but i wouldn't mind philly. would love to go there and WIN in philly. of course if we lose, we won't hear the end of it. but what else is new. haha. philly fans continue to jump on nycfc twitter threads to comment cause we are in their heads. lol

The dirty little secret that no one wants to talk about is where we host a playoff game if we do finish 4th. Because that's during the division series of MLB, so neither Yankee Stadium or Citi Field is going to be available. Let's get through hosting at RBA before we talk about who we face in the conference semifinals.

The dirty little secret that no one wants to talk about is where we host a playoff game if we do finish 4th. Because that's during the division series of MLB, so neither Yankee Stadium or Citi Field is going to be available. Let's get through hosting at RBA before we talk about who we face in the conference semifinals.

i've already accepted that we are going to have to win out on away games if we want another cup. chances of it happening again are slim, but would make it all the more spectacular if we do it.

this 2 week break for guys who got knocks to recover. parks and anton coming back. nick said he would get at least a game for guys who haven't played much and need minutes, though not sure if that means friendly or intrateam scrimmage.

everyone back for the final game into the playoffs, anything can happen. I am satisfied with this season though. a second cup would be icing on the cake.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Let the Randall's Island journey begin!

I just took a gander at the MLS and MLB playoff schedules. There isn't a scenario in which either Yankee Stadium or Citi Field would be available for the first round - at least not with enough notice to plan a game there.

The Yankees will certainly win their division and end up directly in the divisional playoffs as host. That leaves them in line to host games the same weekend as the MLS first round.

The Mets are likely in the same position, and if they win their division Citi will be booked. They have a 2-game lead on the Braves, but even if Atlanta manages to pip them and take the division, the MLB playoff schedule leaves too much uncertainty to plan for a soccer window. In that scenario, Citi Field would host a game on Friday, too close for an MLS game on Saturday or Sunday. Plus, if they win the Divisional Series, they could end up hosting a playoff game on Tuesday, meaning the Monday date might not be open either.

Yes, the Mets might lose in the wild card or Divisional Series or be the road team in the LCS, but none of that will be known in time to commit to a game at Citi Field.

What about Met Life? Has that officially been ruled out as an option for us? We could theoretically play the Monday night game (or maybe Saturday) in the first round as they have NFL on Sunday. The second round weekend appears to be open entirely.
The Sounders and Revolution have regularly played day before/after NFL, but obviously they are permanent tenants.

I think MetLife would look terrible, as it has all the same negatives as RBA, plus far more empty seats, and artificial turf, but we'd prefer it over Connecticut I think?

Reactions: Kjbert
What about Met Life?
Train from Penn Station to Secaucus to MetLife. If they run them for our "event." $11 round trip.

ETA: They have the same thing at Gillette for football but don't run the trains for soccer, for what that's worth.

So we have a home game. But nowhere to play yet, correct?

So right now with our pointage, if we win against ATL, we'll be hosting mls cup against any west team except Austin and LAFC. Assuming we'd ever even get that far lol

Not for nothing, but the way the Mets are collapsing, Citi Field might be open. They're not announcing the postseason schedule until the day the ALWC round ends anyway, so if the Mets blow the division and lose in the ALWC, we'll know by the time they need to schedule it.

Not for nothing, but the way the Mets are collapsing, Citi Field might be open. They're not announcing the postseason schedule until the day the ALWC round ends anyway, so if the Mets blow the division and lose in the ALWC, we'll know by the time they need to schedule it.

still sucks. our success at citi field is not great. we're so much stronger at YS.

What about the Randall’s Island BS from earlier this season?

Even if they lose the division, Mets would still host the NL Wild Card at home, which takes place before MLS Cup Playoffs Round One. It's potential they lose that series and Citi Field is available but that's unlikely.