2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If they let Haak walk…Jesus
Can he even be a proper free agent in MLS? Doesn’t he need to play for the team/in the league for a certain number of years? I think we still own his rights.

The only way he leaves is a trade within the league or he leaves on a free transfer to a league outside MLS which would be brutal business. Even worse for our depth.

I can’t imagine he’s demanding that much or in demand for a foreign club?

Last edited:
A little surprised about Pellegrini. Cushing must not have rated him or he didn't train well. Because he certainly never got a chance on the field to show what he can do here.
Same here, but they may still be negotiating. He was a pretty pricey transfer for Inter Miami at $9 million so it's possible the option on his existing contract was just a little too pricey. Nick seemed to like him well enough, just didn't have a place to play him yet.

Don’t think this means Maxi returns. Just buys us flexibility.

Ultimately up to Maxi

just because they decline the option, doesn't mean the player is gone. they can be renegotiating a new contract. i think that's the case with pell for sure. Not sure about Zel though. that's a tough one. I'm not sure why he didn't get more time to show what we can do.

can't believe Mitri is still on the books through 2023. his loan ends june 2023, and then he'd come back and take up a roster spot for 6 months til his contract expires?

just because they decline the option, doesn't mean the player is gone. they can be renegotiating a new contract. i think that's the case with pell for sure. Not sure about Zel though. that's a tough one. I'm not sure why he didn't get more time to show what we can do.

i dont know man, they all got their "thank you" pic.

true. but i'll believe it when it's all said and done.

surprised nick doesn't rate zel though. i think if he got more playing time to get fitness/sharpness, he'd be a great backup. maybe his injury woes were just too much?

here's hoping we see some good signings soon.. and i really hope they bring back santi.

Q for you guys - Do we include declined options and players leaving in survivor next month, or do we only do it with players who will be in the team as of 1/1/2023?

Yeah, when they say "Thank you for being part of our history" it's hard not to finish the sentence with "we regret you're not part of our future."

I'm not too surprised at Zelalem or Vuk -- at all -- but with our midfield situation I thought Pellegrini would stay, especially considering his versatility. But as I said, maybe the option was too expensive and they're negotiating new terms, and the next pic will say "Welcome Back!"

Or not. Nick works with what he has but at the same time, he sure seems to know what he wants.

I feel bad for Zelalem. He got some real playing time under Delia, and we could all see that early promise that had him so hyped as a teenager. Sadly, Cushing doesn't seem to rate him. Hopefully, he catches on somewhere else. I do think he can turn into a good midfielder.

I feel bad for Zelalem. He got some real playing time under Delia, and we could all see that early promise that had him so hyped as a teenager. Sadly, Cushing doesn't seem to rate him. Hopefully, he catches on somewhere else. I do think he can turn into a good midfielder.

i agree. definitely raw talent marred by injury woes and other things. kinda wish we would keep working on him but his injury problems really make it difficult and totally understand if the club tries to move on after a few years of giving him chances to make a comeback

I'm a Gooner in the Prem, and when Zelalem first emerged it looked like he was going to really be something. But he never seemed to develop quite all the way. The defensive side of his game is nonexistent. It's just a sad story for someone with so much talent, especially since by all accounts he's a really good guy. Not an attitude problem.

Not sure that it’s about Nick not rating him as much as it might be about filling the roster slot with a player with more upside and maintaining some roster flexibility while they try and sign Callens SJ and Santi. Same for Pellegrini.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
Free agency discussions start today, so I'm assuming if callens and Johnson have verbally agreed to anything, it will be officially signed or announced today. If not, who knows when...

Have we signed out of contract players on our team back in previous years? If so who, and how long after free agency opened did they re-sign?

Free agency discussions start today, so I'm assuming if callens and Johnson have verbally agreed to anything, it will be officially signed or announced today. If not, who knows when...

Have we signed out of contract players on our team back in previous years? If so who, and how long after free agency opened did they re-sign?
I have to think Johnson won't do anything until the WC is over.
I am 98+% certain we have signed players who were listed as OOC on roster moves day. I think it is pretty routine all over the league.