2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If Magno is your 9, it changes how we press. And then you have no creativity in your midfield. May as well play hoofball.

And Andrade sucks guys. Please don’t pencil him into your 11.

We have questions at…
GK
CB
RB
Striker or LW

Who on this roster is scoring 15+ goals?

I generally agree, but would argue GK is set (whether we trust the options or not) and that we need either a CB or RB but not both (Gray will slot in as one or the other).

The team needs a midfielder and striker at minimum. As to 15 goals, if the right attackers are signed, I could see Magno reach that level - but it would be easier from the wing.

If Magno is your 9, it changes how we press. And then you have no creativity in your midfield. May as well play hoofball.

And Andrade sucks guys. Please don’t pencil him into your 11.

We have questions at…
GK
CB
RB
Striker or LW

Who on this roster is scoring 15+ goals?
I think Talles and GP are both very capable of scoring 15+ goals.

But without a proper 10 they wont

I generally agree, but would argue GK is set (whether we trust the options or not) and that we need either a CB or RB but not both (Gray will slot in as one or the other).

The team needs a midfielder and striker at minimum. As to 15 goals, if the right attackers are signed, I could see Magno reach that level - but it would be easier from the wing.

Good point. Should clarify. I think the starting GK is now on the roster, but he’s a question mark.

No issue with Chanot starting but it’s a downgrade to the defense. We have LB options. RB is worse today than 4 months ago.

Not gonna lie - I wasn’t all that interested in the latest USMNT games. Any thoughts on Sonora’s play?

Reactions: Kjbert
A view from BigSoccer:

As far as what Sonora will do in MLS, I don't he'll be a smash hit. He's not that type of player who sees things the vast majority don't, is some dribbling dynamo, or has next-level physical tools. He's an all arounder. So he's not a 1:1 replacement for Mihailovic, who has super vision. He's a cog in a wheel, maybe even one of your more important ones. This could have made him solid in another top league, maybe that's nominally even moderately better than MLS, like Portugal. That could have been a better call for his career. As a DP or big GAM guy expected to be your creative engine like Mihailovic or Zelarayan, I think he could wind up underwhelming.

Last edited:
I'm... I'm very confused?

It's switching from saying he could be an important piece to being underwhelming, and keeps flip-flopping. I learned basically nothing from this lol

basically says he's not the kind of guy you build your attack around but he's good enough to play as part of a system. otherwise, does not have any standout features or skills

basically says he's not the kind of guy you build your attack around but he's good enough to play as part of a system. otherwise, does not have any standout features or skills
So then I don't get the whole part about him playing in a better league as a "better call for his career" ?

So then I don't get the whole part about him playing in a better league as a "better call for his career" ?

it's not entirely clear what he's trying to say with that, but my guess would be that going to portugal would be better for him because he'd be surrounded by better players vs in MLS where he'd be expected to lead the attack, but he isn't a player with a stand out skillset to do so.

it's not entirely clear what he's trying to say with that, but my guess would be that going to portugal would be better for him because he'd be surrounded by better players vs in MLS where he'd be expected to lead the attack, but he isn't a player with a stand out skillset to do so.
My reading as well. The real issue is whether the Duke’s talent assessment skills are superior to his writing abilities.