2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It's tough to contemplate that we let Johnson go to save $700K or so in wages over 2 years only to spend that much to get Freese.

EDIT: Freese makes a lot less than I had remembered. He was on $118,250 last year and has 2 years left on his contract. So, that's $558,000 less than Toronto is likely paying Johnson. So, we've paid between $350-750 in GAM to get a player making $1,116,000 less than Johnson.
Yeah we paid a lot, but it's still a big saving and if he works out sets the team up for 5-8 years at least probably at GK. They likely think very highly of him.

Last edited:
Yeah we paid a lot, but it's still a big saving and if he works out sets the team up for 5-8 year at least probably at GK. They likely think very highly of him.
Agreed. Seems like the club thinks that at least one of Barraza or Freese will work out and then they are set up for a while.

If Freese doesn’t work out, you had him on a cheap salary and gave up $350k (assuming that if he doesn’t work out, incentives won’t be reached, which I think is a fairly safe assumption).

And on top of that “Freese not working out” could simply mean that Barraza balls out and and Freese doesn’t get a decent shot.

Agreed. Seems like the club thinks that at least one of Barraza or Freese will work out and then they are set up for a while.

If Freese doesn’t work out, you had him on a cheap salary and gave up $350k (assuming that if he doesn’t work out, incentives won’t be reached, which I think is a fairly safe assumption).

And on top of that “Freese not working out” could simply mean that Barraza balls out and and Freese doesn’t get a decent shot.
And with the work load this year we'll need two starter-quality goalkeepers, whoever wins the job.

Reactions: SoupInNYC

are we thinking the club is planning for OUR future for the next 5-7 years or are they looking to develop and sell?

Okay everyone. Here is your chance to get what you’ve been requesting.

with no more stadium questions - what the hell is there to ask?

EDIT: this is in the roster thread, but SIMs has no say/control over the roster and recruiting i'm guessing. so questions about that would probably get the same "we have people working on that" answer.

i guess more details as to stadium time frame may be asked? but that's probably out of his hands too.

So Blake makes $750k/$869k and is only 1.5 years younger than Johnson. I wonder if the Union have another young keeper in their system they expect to step up.

Reactions: Kjbert
NYCFC 2023 DEPTH CHART

Striker: Segal
Wing/Striker: Talles Magno
Wing: Thaigo, Pereira, Pellegrini, Jasson, Jimenez
CAM: Carrizo
CM: Parks, Morales, Haak
RB: Gray, Ilenič
LB: Cufre, O'Toole, Amundsen, Gloster, McFarlane, Turnbull
CB: Chanot, Martins, Alfaro, Owusu, Benalcazar
GK: Freese, Barraza, Mizell

NYCFC 2022 DEPTH CHART - UPDATED

Striker: Castellanos, Heber, Segal
Wing
: Magno, Thaigo, Jasson, Pellegrini, Jimenez
Wing/CAM
: Moralez, Rodriguez, Carrizo
CM
: Parks, Morales, Acevedo, Zelalem, Haak
RB: Tinnerholm, Gray, Ilenič
LB
: Cufre, O'Toole, Amundsen, Gloster, McFarlane, Turnbull
CB
: Chanot, Callens, Martins, Latinovich, Alfaro, Owusu, Benalcazar
GK
: Johnson, Freese, Barraza, Mizell

NYCFC 2023 DEPTH CHART

Striker: Segal
Wing/Striker: Talles Magno
Wing: Thaigo, Pereira, Pellegrini, Jasson, Jimenez
CAM: Carrizo
CM: Parks, Morales, Haak
RB: Gray, Ilenič
LB: Cufre, O'Toole, Amundsen, Gloster, McFarlane, Turnbull
CB: Chanot, Martins, Alfaro, Owusu, Benalcazar
GK: Freese, Barraza, Mizell

You know something, for all the doom and gloom our first choice XI doesn't look that bad. No real No. 10 on the roster (Pellegrini? Parks?), but aside from that this starting lineup isn't that bad. The problem is the bench is not good and injuries would really hurt without more signings.

--------Talles-----
Thiago-Pellegrini-Gabi
-----Morales-Parks----
Cufre-Martins-Chanot-Gray/Ilenic
--------Barraza/Freese------

NYCFC 2022 DEPTH CHART - UPDATED

Striker: Castellanos, Heber, Segal
Wing
: Magno, Thaigo, Jasson, Pellegrini, Jimenez
Wing/CAM
: Moralez, Rodriguez, Carrizo
CM
: Parks, Morales, Acevedo, Zelalem, Haak
RB: Tinnerholm, Gray, Ilenič
LB
: Cufre, O'Toole, Amundsen, Gloster, McFarlane, Turnbull
CB
: Chanot, Callens, Martins, Latinovich, Alfaro, Owusu, Benalcazar
GK
: Johnson, Freese, Barraza, Mizell
Just looking at this the only spot that scares me is CAM. Everywhere else is either good, fine, or passable.

You know something, for all the doom and gloom our first choice XI doesn't look that bad. No real No. 10 on the roster (Pellegrini? Parks?), but aside from that this starting lineup isn't that bad. The problem is the bench is not good and injuries would really hurt without more signings.

--------Talles-----
Thiago-Pellegrini-Gabi
-----Morales-Parks----
Cufre-Martins-Chanot-Gray/Ilenic
--------Barraza/Freese------

i still feel starting 11 is missing a piece or two. the bigger issue is no depth imo. especially on attack/ midfield.

Reactions: Kjbert and Gene
We can't play through fatigue or injuries at all right now.

Except at left back. We could mow down a bunch of those guys with a machine gun and still be okay.
Turnbull can play on the right, O'Toole can play just about anywhere. Gray can slot in at center back (I think that's really his position anyway) if someone goes down. So, there's a little flexibility.

But we're definitely thin. Really thin. And I'm not sure we can fill in the missing pieces until we have a striker.

Turnbull can play on the right, O'Toole can play just about anywhere. Gray can slot in at center back (I think that's really his position anyway) if someone goes down. So, there's a little flexibility.

But we're definitely thin. Really thin. And I'm not sure we can fill in the missing pieces until we have a striker.

I think the team thinks Talles can be that guy -- they did it with Taty, they think they can do it with him. They may be right, but I actually believe them when they say they're going into the season with him at the 9.

I think the team thinks Talles can be that guy -- they did it with Taty, they think they can do it with him. They may be right, but I actually believe them when they say they're going into the season with him at the 9.
That may be the plan going in. They may be thinking of trying to hold out for the summer window.

But man, I just don't think he's really the guy. He's so much better on the wing. Give him some green grass and he can wreak havoc.

Reactions: Kjbert and moogoo
If Magno is your 9, it changes how we press. And then you have no creativity in your midfield. May as well play hoofball.

And Andrade sucks guys. Please don’t pencil him into your 11.

We have questions at…
GK
CB
RB
Striker or LW

Who on this roster is scoring 15+ goals?