2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Remember, scouting is only half FIFA card & half techno highlight reel. So maybe he has some good beats to score to.
I haven't played Fifa in years but I'd expect they have bigger league bias? Young Polish kid playing where he is I wouldn't expect off the charts ratings regardless .

Reactions: Kjbert
"[Johnson] joins through the 2024 MLS season using Targeted Allocation Money (TAM)."

Well, there goes my theory about it being the years. We must not have come up to his number.

Good luck, Sean. Although not too much luck.

EDIT: Sorry guys, just saw the other thread . . . Back to Poland we go . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
350K GAM definitely and up to 400K GAM more. That feels that Philadelphia won this trade to say the least. If Barraza ends up being the number 1, which I think he does, terrible deal by David Lee.

New York City Football Club acquires Goalkeeper Matt Freese from Philadelphia Union in exchange for $350,000 in General Allocation Money ($200,000 in 2023 GAM and $150,000 in 2024 GAM) and up to an additional $400,000 in performance-based incentives. Philadelphia retains a percentage of any future transfer either inside or outside of MLS.

350K GAM definitely and up to 400K GAM more. That feels that Philadelphia won this trade to say the least. If Barraza ends up being the number 1, which I think he does, terrible deal by David Lee.

New York City Football Club acquires Goalkeeper Matt Freese from Philadelphia Union in exchange for $350,000 in General Allocation Money ($200,000 in 2023 GAM and $150,000 in 2024 GAM) and up to an additional $400,000 in performance-based incentives. Philadelphia retains a percentage of any future transfer either inside or outside of MLS.

no way he sitting the bench for that amount of GAM. thats also ALOT for a backup. he must of been highly rated to get that much for him. Basically its what we got for Heber.

Edit: and giving philly percentages of future sales? wtf? though to be fair if the dude leaves, its gonna be waived or contract run out.

Wow. Now I'm convinced that Sean simply chose TFC over us, not that we chose not to match TFC's offer. This looks kind of like a panic response, even if Freese ends up being solid.

It's tough to contemplate that we let Johnson go to save $700K or so in wages over 2 years only to spend that much to get Freese.

EDIT: Freese makes a lot less than I had remembered. He was on $118,250 last year and has 2 years left on his contract. So, that's $558,000 less than Toronto is likely paying Johnson. So, we've paid between $350-750 in GAM to get a player making $1,116,000 less than Johnson.

Last edited: