2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If it is a 3-4-3, I would imagine Tayvon at RCB and Ilenic at RWB then. But I guess Alfaro at one of the CB spots could push Tayvon to RWB, but Tayvon at RCB and Ilenic at RWB would seem to be a better use of both of their skill sets.
I agree.

Who would you rather have on the pitch? Grey and Ilenic? Or Haak?

I agree.

Who would you rather have on the pitch? Grey and Ilenic? Or Haak?
Gray and Ilenic I think.

But I also may be misunderstanding your question. I'm assuming the option you're presenting is Gray at RCB and Ilenic at RWB in a 3-4-3 vs Haak in a 4-3-3?

Gray is not a RWB. We don’t know if the new kid is good. Which makes me think it’s 4 in the back.

yea the gabby visa situation is very strange. but sometimes these things happen. already miss seeing him work his magic on the wing.
There is chatter on Twitter that Gabby is impressing in training at Bahia and now Bahia wants to sign him. Hilarious how Bahia fans are like “we’ll trade you these players that we don’t want but are very good for gabby”.

There is chatter on Twitter that Gabby is impressing in training at Bahia and now Bahia wants to sign him. Hilarious how Bahia fans are like “we’ll trade you these players that we don’t want but are very good for gabby”.

i'm so glad we have him locked down for , i think 4 or 5 years, when we signed him. if he keeps developing, the kid is going to be a monster. definitely best XI MLS soon and sold off for big bucks.

It’s both incredibly frustrating and incredibly hard to believe, almost stupefying, that it’s February 9th and there hasn’t been 1 link to any sort of attacking player or left sided centerback. And I am usually on the patient side of all this

It’s both incredibly frustrating and incredibly hard to believe, almost stupefying, that it’s February 9th and there hasn’t been 1 link to any sort of attacking player or left sided centerback. And I am usually on the patient side of all this
It's surprising and a bit inexplicable to me as well. We have not even shown up in many stupid stories where some unnamed source says we're linked to a player just to raise his salary or fee to someone else.
I will note that the MLS primary acquisition window is open until May 4, April 24, and NYCFC has a decent history of signing players after the season starts but within this primary window. But we're quite thin, and the increasingly bizarre Pereira situation isn't helping.

Last edited:
It's surprising and a bit inexplicable to me as well. We have not even shown up in many stupid stories where some unnamed source says we're linked to a player just to raise his salary or fee to someone else.
I will note that the MLS primary acquisition window is open until May 4, and NYCFC has a decent history of signing players after the season starts but within this primary window. But we're quite thin, and the increasingly bizarre Pereira situation isn't helping.

i'm going to convince myself that GP is using his time in Brazil to recruit additional players to bring back with him to NYC. he's calling Lee every night with a status report on potential signings. it's not a visa issue, it's a scouting job. lol

I will note that the MLS primary acquisition window is open until May 4, and NYCFC has a decent history of signing players after the season starts but within this primary window. But we're quite thin, and the increasingly bizarre Pereira situation isn't helping.
I think this years window closes end of April, as per Bogert but yeah, same sentiments.

Reactions: Kjbert
I think this years window closes end of April, as per Bogert but yeah, same sentiments.
You're right. MLS has not published its roster rules for 2023, and I took the May 4 date from a source that I now realize mistakenly relied upon the 2022 rules. But this article confirms April 24 as the close of the primary window in 2023.

It's understandable to be frustrated, but being linked to no one is not exactly true. Defenders are Cardoba, Nade, and even Sands. Attacking players have been Sonora, Wlodarczyk (SP???) and even some MCFC youths. That's off the top of my head.

It also doesn't help that the people covering this team the most are amateur journalists, so they're not exactly Tier 1 sources.

It's understandable to be frustrated, but being linked to no one is not exactly true. Defenders are Cardoba, Nade, and even Sands. Attacking players have been Sonora, Wlodarczyk (SP???) and even some MCFC youths. That's off the top of my head.

It also doesn't help that the people covering this team the most are amateur journalists, so they're not exactly Tier 1 sources.
I think those being links depend on how much one trusts nycfcsource. The polish kid was Romano though so that is/was something

I think those being links depend on how much one trusts nycfcsource. The polish kid was Romano though so that is/was something
The correct answer is to not trust NYCFC Source. Or at least be extremely skeptical about what information he's actually digging up. Mind you, he's like 15 or something. I respect his grind, but the whole Alan Sonora thing was a huge nothingburger that nobody else reported on.

Other than that, I wouldn't put too much stock into the Polish kid, Szymon Włodarczyk (believe it's pronounced "Simon Vlah-der-chick"). He was being pursued by Celtic, Fenerbache, Anderlecht, as well as a mishmash of Bundesliga and Serie A clubs. Why would he turn down those attractive offers to play in New York as a hot prospect forward? We can be as aggressive as he wants, but he's already got interest from more higher-tier clubs, some of whom play in Champions League. Plus, according to Romano, the player is expected to wait until the summer to make any decision and that NYCFC will likely be a non-factor.

EDIT: Just dug up this article. According to Szymon's agent, he's expected to finish out the season in Poland.

Reactions: Kjbert and Shwafta