2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
My inside sauces are telling me to keep an eye open towards Lewis O'Brien who is a 24 yo midfielder at Nottingham Forest.

Linked to a move to MLS after a transfer snafu left him in limbo. Interesting idea there -- would probably have to be a loan if we're signing Santi to a DP contract.

Reactions: Kjbert
I'm sure it's been discussed here during my off season sabbatical but since we've lost 3 players who wore the armband, this season's captains are going to be Chanot, then Alfredo, Martins and Parks if I'm to guess correctly?

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
Would he supplant Alfredo in the pecking order in midfield? Transfermarkt lists attacking mid as a position he can play, but he appears to be a DM or central midfielder in the Prem.
No -AM is our anchor.

Would he supplant Alfredo in the pecking order in midfield? Transfermarkt lists attacking mid as a position he can play, but he appears to be a DM or central midfielder in the Prem.

He seems to have been highly sought by decent championship sides but a loan to Blackburn fell through last minute. I don't think he'd come to MLS to be backup.

Such good news here. We have our No. 10. Now just need a backup CB, a another forward (depending on how Talles does, maybe a backup striker or a starting striker/winger), and another midfielder for depth. Starting to feel like we're going to be OK this year.

We have a really good starting XI, just need some depth now. I think it would be wise to wait until summer to find another striker so we can see if Talles is that guy. If he is, we bulk up elsewhere. If he isn't, we find a new starting striker.

Reactions: adam
If Santi replaces Maxi, then who replaces Santi? If Talles Magno replaces Heber, who replaces him on the wing

Reactions: Gene
If Santi replaces Maxi, then who replaces Santi? If Talles Magno replaces Heber, who replaces him on the wing

Talles was the main starter at striker by the end of the year. Heber was a bench piece and only started when Talles got hurt near the end of the regular season.

If the Ledezma signing goes down, then he becomes the back-up No. 10. I think they'll sign another winger and another box-to-box midfielder, in addition to another striker. There would seem to be another 3-4 moves coming at some point. Maybe one of them is Sands returning, maybe it's the rumors about Lewis O'Brien, then a winger and a back-up CB and we're pretty much where we want to be.

Reactions: JCMore
If we sign Ledesma and he is as impressive as we hope then he replaces maxi and santi replaces santi. Striker on the other hand… I don’t know

Reactions: Higgs1
Let's take a quick look at our history, specifically the season we'd all love to relive. Here's what our players in and out looked like in our dream season.

November
  • OUT - Mitrita
  • IN - Jasson
December
  • OUT - Mackay-Stephen
  • OUT - Zelalem
  • OUT - Ring
  • OUT - Matarrita
January
  • OUT - Scally
February
  • IN - Amundsen
March (Were we grumbling at this point? Complaining about depth maybe? Lack of signings?
  • IN - Mizell
  • IN - resign Zelalem
  • OUT - Torres
  • IN - Gloster
April (With the season about to start, were we happy with our roster?)
  • IN - Morales
May
  • IN - Andrade
June
  • IN - Latinovich
July
  • IN - Magno
  • IN - Rodriguez
Without our midseason signings of Magno and Santi, we weren't a championship team. Without our early season signing of Andrade and our eve of season signing of Morales we were lacking in depth. Let's also remember that it wasn't until some very late season data magic from mgarbowski mgarbowski that many (most?) on this board thought Morales was worth a damn.

I don't know if the squad has depth or not. I don't know if Andrade will develop on the wing or Magno in the center the way we'd hope. Same as we didn't know Heber would go on a tear in 2020 or Taty would go on a tear in 2021. But all of this seems like dejavu all over again to me.