2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
People are jealous. Even if he is just an aggregator, who cares? It’s not like we have any traditional media covering the club? You get more news on the XFL in this city.
I myself don't see any harm in what he's doing. Occasionally he says things like "I was told," which implies he has a non-public source of information (which he may have). But mostly he's just talking NYCFC.

He's being clever about it with the quasi-mystery too. He even identifies himself as "NYCFC Source" on his podcast even though pretty much everyone knows who he is: The Source Pod

Just having fun. We should wish for more people talking about us like this.

$2 million for a U22 Striker? Eek.
Isn't the whole point of U22 that we don't have to count the transfer fee against the cap? Why not go big on a young talented number 9. Setting a limit of $2 million does not make much sense when looking to fill the U22 spot!

Reactions: Kjbert
Isn't the whole point of U22 that we don't have to count the transfer fee against the cap? Why not go big on a young talented number 9. Setting a limit of $2 million does not make much sense when looking to fill the U22 spot!
The strategy has been consistent though. Acquire a young promising player, build him up over a couple years, and sell for profit. If we invest too much at the outset, it becomes increasingly difficult to reach profitability, especially considering that 22-23 year olds generate less than a 19-20 year old.

The strategy has been consistent though. Acquire a young promising player, build him up over a couple years, and sell for profit. If we invest too much at the outset, it becomes increasingly difficult to reach profitability, especially considering that 22-23 year olds generate less than a 19-20 year old.
I don't think we need to spend 10s of millions, but I think a hard cap of 2 million is too low to find someone who can make an immediate impact as a starter and have the potential to be sold for a significant profit later on. I like the strategy but we also need someone who can make an actual impact this year.

But why do I care about profitability? Do you get extra points in the table?

When was the last time Man City was profitable in a transfer window? 2005?
Profitability in MLS is different up to a point. With a salary capped league racking up XAM of all sorts can give a legitimate advantage, that being said you can only make so much on 1 player and you have to be willing to use it when you have it. I don't see NYCFC succeeding on that front yet, I imagine will we see the full benefits as we sell on taty and the young south Americans we have . The ideal version of this being you bring in more productive and high potential players to keep your XAM above the cap advantage as high as possible to have a strong and especially deep team.

NYCFC is not Man City.

Parent companies invest differently in different subsidiaries all the time. Expecting NYCFC to be treated the same as Man City will lead to endless disappointment.

What was NYCFC worth 10 years ago?

What is worth today?

They have a significant gain in the franchise. Probably 4x. They’re sitting on a significant unrealized gain on their investment.

Reactions: adam
For those of you that disagree with my comment comparing NYCFC and Man City, I assume you’re kissed off that Taty Castellanos wasn’t sold, right??

Reactions: adam
It's a loan through July then an option to buy. Only a four-ish month loan?

He's ineligible to play in England for the rest of the Premier League season due to a transfer snafu, so they're loaning him until their offseason so he can get some minutes, then they want him back in time for preseason.

He's ineligible to play in England for the rest of the Premier League season due to a transfer snafu, so they're loaning him until their offseason so he can get some minutes, then they want him back in time for preseason.
You’re right, but the MLS article says there’s a purchase option. Something doesn’t add up.

Reactions: JayH