2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Doyle:

FtTXMJqXgAES-Wh

Reactions: Kenny and Gene
Hate agreeing with Doyle!

We will middle through the first half of the season and bring someone in this July. We’ll hope they adapt well (they won’t) and then Talles will be gone in the winter window.

only to brazil. aint no way he leaves to europe. he is not exactly killing it.

Reactions: Antidote P. Smiley
only to brazil. aint no way he leaves to europe. he is not exactly killing it.
I’ve been incredibly underwhelmed by Magno this season. Maybe someone who is into the numbers can tell me that my eye’s deceive me. If I don’t see another series of step overs from him all season I’ll be okay with that.

Reactions: Marito
I’ve been incredibly underwhelmed by Magno this season. Maybe someone who is into the numbers can tell me that my eye’s deceive me. If I don’t see another series of step overs from him all season I’ll be okay with that.

at the 9 he struggled. on the wing he's struggling as well because we don't have a proper 9 to create more space for him. he's getting his isolation on the wings but he's often getting double/triple teamed. this didn't happen as much before with taty and maxi occupying a lot of the attention of the defense.

overall, i think he's not at his potential yet. but i don't think anybody on the squad is at the moment. hoping everyone turns it up a few levels soon.

I've been wondering whether the added flexibility of the U22 Initiative made NYCFC more willing to spend a DP on a center back. But then also wondering if the Santi DP deal messed up their plans to use one on an established striker.

Giakoumakis, Bouanga, Vela, Heber, and Giovinco all came to MLS at around 27-29 and started scoring in bunches. Josef Martinez was 23 I think, which is younger, but still older than Taty and Talles when they came to us and too old for a U22. If you get someone very young you either pay a ransom or take a risk (or in the case of Talles, both). I really wish we could get bring in someone a bit more proven.

I want to wait for 2 more games, but I've started looking at some numbers to do a look at the season to date. But barring a major change in the next 2 games, the numbers are very consistent with what we're all seeing. The club is not creating that much, and the numbers I tentatively reviewed do not indicate Talles is progressing.

Last edited:
Maybe having Maxi Morales patched over a shit ton of problems?

The club is not creating that much, and the numbers I tentatively reviewed do not indicate Talles is progressing.
It's very difficult for an individual offensive player to show distinction/progression while the team offense is regressing/poor. I think this is particularly tough in Talles's case since half (more than half?) of his minutes this season were out of his natural position.

Reactions: Kjbert
It's very difficult for an individual offensive player to show distinction/progression while the team offense is regressing/poor. I think this is particularly tough in Talles's case since half (more than half?) of his minutes this season were out of his natural position.

I think it's poor roster construction and place the blame for the offensive regression on the front office more than any of the players. Talles is struggling because he doesn't have a #9 next to him to make space. Talles also wants to slow the ball down dribble at people and then link up with his teammates with little touch passes in tight spaces that many of his teammates are not capable of operating in.

All of our other attacking players are high-energy, fast ball movement, aggressive counter-press type players, and Magno drifting around on the left wing giving minimal effort when we press doesn't maximize what they are best at either. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Talles continues to struggle with NYCFC only to leave and then thrive on a team with players better suited to complement his talents.

👁️👁️

New arrival Richy Ledezma got his first start, playing as a No. 10 in place of Santi Rodríguez, who came on at the hour mark. He looked good, and yes, NYCFC have gotten deeper and better over the past two months.

But with all due respect to Segal, who works hard, they still have a need up top at the 9. And two open U22 Initiative slots. And a week to go before the window closes. And a history of splurging with those U22s.

What I’m saying is to turn Twitter notifications on for Tom Bogert’s feed this week if you’re an NYCFC fan.

👁️👁️

New arrival Richy Ledezma got his first start, playing as a No. 10 in place of Santi Rodríguez, who came on at the hour mark. He looked good, and yes, NYCFC have gotten deeper and better over the past two months.

But with all due respect to Segal, who works hard, they still have a need up top at the 9. And two open U22 Initiative slots. And a week to go before the window closes. And a history of splurging with those U22s.

What I’m saying is to turn Twitter notifications on for Tom Bogert’s feed this week if you’re an NYCFC fan.

I don't think he has inside info, I think he is just assuming we will make a move because we need someone in that spot.

I haven't been following Sean Johnson in Toronto, but can we feel pretty confident at this point that we were probably better off saving money and moving on to Barazza?

Only if we use the saved dollars from letting all these guys go for FREE.

I haven't been following Sean Johnson in Toronto, but can we feel pretty confident at this point that we were probably better off saving money and moving on to Barazza?

Maybe - depending on how much you agree with advanced goalkeeping stats, he's not having a great year. Then again, LB's numbers are worse than I would have expected as well.

Maybe - depending on how much you agree with advanced goalkeeping stats, he's not having a great year. Then again, LB's numbers are worse than I would have expected as well.
Their numbers are very close, and as you note neither is that impressive. That doesn't really favor Barraza per se, but if this is the level you are going to get, might as well pay less for it. That's subject to 8 games being a short sample, and paying a decent sized one time fee for LB's backup/competitor.

Worth noting also, that on a per game basis, Johnson's numbers this year are almost exactly what he did last year, and very much in line with his career at NYCFC. As much as we loved him he never had great advanced stats, and he's always been pretty mid.

As much as we loved him he never had great advanced stats, and he's always been pretty mid.
I've always thought of him as kind of like one of those .265 hitters with pop in Major League Baseball. One of those guys who is basically league average statistically but has a way of coming up big in the clutch.

Think a soccer equivalent of Curtis Granderson (who also happens to be a really great guy).

I don't know how reliable the source is, but FWIW I'm seeing Houston Dynamo player Sebastian Ferreira might be looking to leave.
I'm not sure if they can somehow finagle DP rules like they do in LA, but he just turned 25 and would fill in the 9 spot for us.

I don't know how reliable the source is, but FWIW I'm seeing Houston Dynamo player Sebastian Ferreira might be looking to leave.
I'm not sure if they can somehow finagle DP rules like they do in LA, but he just turned 25 and would fill in the 9 spot for us.

I doubt it, you have to give up alot for a DP. No way they do it

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene