2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I know Benfica is a big team, but I really want to see Taty in one of the big leagues.

True but maybe he gets champions league minutes and Europa league (if they fall to that tournament).

It’s the price really that may limit interest from other teams. We will see as it’s still early.

Everton could use him as a DCL replacement. Fits Dyche.

Imagine we send him back on loan.

This team looks like a reserve squad right now. Bunch of 18-22 year olds with (hopefully) decent size transfers ahead of them - Talles, Sands, Ilenic, Santi, Gabby, Haak, Ledesma - and absolutely no fucking idea how to win.

David Lee/CFG went out and prioritized getting cute and selling guys on at the expense of winning.

This team looks like a reserve squad right now. Bunch of 18-22 year olds with (hopefully) decent size transfers ahead of them - Talles, Sands, Ilenic, Santi, Gabby, Haak, Ledesma - and absolutely no fucking idea how to win.

David Lee/CFG went out and prioritized getting cute and selling guys on at the expense of winning.

I think Lee/CFG prioritized selling players a year too early instead of a year too late. I also think they thought they would retain Maxi and Callens and were caught off-guard by those departures. The Heber move made absolutely no sense and still makes no sense.

They see the roster and it's capabilities. They know they need additions, and I think we're going to see some in the summer window. Let's hold our fire until we see what happens in this window. It's a critical period for the team -- and for David Lee & Nick Cushing's tenures. I think they both know the pressure is on and they need to make changes.

I think Lee/CFG prioritized selling players a year too early instead of a year too late. I also think they thought they would retain Maxi and Callens and were caught off-guard by those departures. The Heber move made absolutely no sense and still makes no sense.

They see the roster and it's capabilities. They know they need additions, and I think we're going to see some in the summer window. Let's hold our fire until we see what happens in this window. It's a critical period for the team -- and for David Lee & Nick Cushing's tenures. I think they both know the pressure is on and they need to make changes.
I can't find it now, but soon after we won in 2021 there was a discussion about how to qualify for a European soccer work visa. IIRC the main way to accumulate points is caps for your national team, and the biggest shortcut to earn a ton of points is to win a league championship with your club. Also, IIRC, the points you get for winning a club championship expire after 1 year. If that's all correct, we basically had to send Sands and Taty to Europe in 2022 because Taty's never getting the caps and James may or may not and it will take a while. I wish I could find it. I think Fantazma Fantazma was the forum expert and if I''m right maybe he can correct or confirm what I'm saying.

I think you're probably right about the club's expectations about at least one of Maxi or Callens, and maybe both.

I disagree about Heber. He has 2 goals in 762 minutes in a half season. He has not scored since Game 2 in March. Since he hasn't played 1,500 minutes since 2019, his 762 minutes are as you can expect from him halfway. Sure I'd like to have 2 more goals, but 2 goals in March does not help this current losing streak. In return, we got $400k in GAM guaranteed split this year and next, potentially another $150k under undisclosed incentives, and offloaded more than $1 million in guaranteed compensation against the cap this year. I think it was a great deal and the problem is we did nothing with all that added cap space to replace him. OTOH, I agree we need to see how they handle the summer window, not just replacing Heber but overall.

I can't find it now, but soon after we won in 2021 there was a discussion about how to qualify for a European soccer work visa. IIRC the main way to accumulate points is caps for your national team, and the biggest shortcut to earn a ton of points is to win a league championship with your club. Also, IIRC, the points you get for winning a club championship expire after 1 year. If that's all correct, we basically had to send Sands and Taty to Europe in 2022 because Taty's never getting the caps and James may or may not and it will take a while. I wish I could find it. I think Fantazma Fantazma was the forum expert and if I''m right maybe he can correct or confirm what I'm saying.

I think you're probably right about the club's expectations about at least one of Maxi or Callens, and maybe both.

I disagree about Heber. He has 2 goals in 762 minutes in a half season. He has not scored since Game 2 in March. Since he hasn't played 1,500 minutes since 2019, his 762 minutes are as you can expect from him halfway. Sure I'd like to have 2 more goals, but 2 goals in March does not help this current losing streak. In return, we got $400k in GAM guaranteed split this year and next, potentially another $150k under undisclosed incentives, and offloaded more than $1 million in guaranteed compensation against the cap this year. I think it was a great deal and the problem is we did nothing with all that added cap space to replace him. OTOH, I agree we need to see how they handle the summer window, not just replacing Heber but overall.
On Maxi -- they re-signed him for this season, only for him to decide he wanted to go back home. They absolutely thought he was coming back.

On Heber -- I just think you can't remove the only actual striker from the roster unless you have a replacement lined up. We have no idea whether he'd have scored more on this team than he is on that Seattle team, but you can't take him off the roster until you have the replacement.

But hey, Girona and other CFG clubs got just a little bit better and according to Marwood we should be happy with that.

Reactions: Kjbert
Regarding work visas, I think the point system is more about playing in England than in Europe generally, where it is less challenging.

Plus, Taty has just finished a season in Spain where he was a regular starter. That has to count for something.

Plus, Taty has just finished a season in Spain where he was a regular starter. That has to count for something.
My point was why there was urgency to transfer them in 2022 instead of waiting until 2023. Yes now that Taty has been in Europe he's probably all set; probably also for James. But I think you're right about the difficulty being mostly about the UK. I found the post. It was by Fantazma Fantazma. It was about the UK, and I also think I was wrong about the MLS Cup points expiring. So my whole point was mistaken.

I think a big Portuguese team is a great spot for Taty and nycfc. He will likely perform well in the league and hopefully Europe. Once you perform well for Porto and Benfica every club in the world comes sniffing.

That's exactly what this team needs. There's no question in my mind that another inexperienced teenager coming to town will right the ship!
The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

I think a big Portuguese team is a great spot for Taty and nycfc. He will likely perform well in the league and hopefully Europe. Once you perform well for Porto and Benfica every club in the world comes sniffing.
Unless he gets Keaton Parks-ed

If July 25 comes and goes and we don't have a new striker on our team, it will have been a year since the Taty loan announcement (and not certainly longer since the front office knew Taty wanted to leave, planned his departure, and ultimately signed the loan) that we don't have a replacement (non-Heber who also was traded) striker. That's just malpractice as a front office and would really have me start to question the investment of CFG in terms of the football operations for NYCFC. Just because you're working on a shiny, new stadium in 4 years, doesn't mean the team can flounder until then...

July 25. 42 days from today.

If July 25 comes and goes and we don't have a new striker on our team, it will have been a year since the Taty loan announcement (and not certainly longer since the front office knew Taty wanted to leave, planned his departure, and ultimately signed the loan) that we don't have a replacement (non-Heber who also was traded) striker. That's just malpractice as a front office and would really have me start to question the investment of CFG in terms of the football operations for NYCFC. Just because you're working on a shiny, new stadium in 4 years, doesn't mean the team can flounder until then...

July 25. 42 days from today.
With all due respect I think it’s hard to believe it’s malpractice. We need a striker yes. But I think the front office basically put all its eggs in the Magno 9 basket. Hell they even signed Segal as a back up for him. The bet failed and they didn’t have a good backup plan. I don’t know if that’s malpractice. I still think they should have kept Thiago (unless there were other underlying issues).

Reactions: Sabo
Following up on the UK soccer work visa eligibility discussion:

New rules proposed by the FA and approved by the Home Office (ie the government) will be that every Premier League and Championship team can sign 4 players regardless of points status, and League 1 and 2 teams will get 2 slots each.

This will make it easier for MLS teams to sell to teams in the UK, but also maybe harder to sign players in the first place.