2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I wouldn't say it's impossible, but that would be a complete 180° in policy.

Anyway, the chirping is he might be heading to St. Louis.

Yet more developments in British visa points. MLS has moved up from Band 4 to Band 3. It means that in addition to the new waiver slots allotted to every UK team, it now will be much easier for MLS players to qualify via the points system. Potentially this plus the slots could be a major change. MLS could have to raise the cap significantly to hold on to players. Or we’re becoming even more of a selling League.

Last edited:
Maybe this is a better thought to have during/after the transfer window, but I'm starting to feel that either:

1) We've dropped considerably in the pecking order for priority for CFG clubs either because...
1a) We've won a title or...
1b) Other geographies are more important to support the main product of Manchester
2) CFG has acquired too many clubs that their sporting resources have been stretched too thin in terms of scouting/recruiting

Maybe this is a better thought to have during/after the transfer window, but I'm starting to feel that either:

1) We've dropped considerably in the pecking order for priority for CFG clubs either because...
1a) We've won a title or...
1b) Other geographies are more important to support the main product of Manchester
2) CFG has acquired too many clubs that their sporting resources have been stretched too thin in terms of scouting/recruiting
I think you are correct with both 1b and 2 but I also think CFG is also tellino NYCFC that it has a $10M+ Taty winning lottery ticket and we better cash it in before CFG is willing to gives us additional money.

Reactions: snugglefarts
Here’s his contribution as a world champion.
I read a good summary in an Uruguayan sports paper. He was promoted to first team at Danubio FC, age 15. Debuted at 16 scoring 3 goals in his debut game. Had a meteoric rise at Danubio FC and broke the club's transfer record when Torque bought him at 17 for almost 4 million bucks. But he was injured a lot at age 18 and has been unable to replicate his super-young success. Played for Uruguay at the U20 qualifiers in Jan/Feb and at the WC a few weeks ago, but mostly as a sub. He turned 19 in April.

I feel like Magno's struggles and the lack of a #9 have kind of covered up the fact that Santi so far has been a terrible Maxi replacement. Santi is very talented and his work rate is always impressive but he brings none of the creativity and vision that Maxi provided. When a team is scoring 1 goal per game and creating so little on offense some of the blame needs to fall on the guy playing as the 10 that's supposed to be unlocking the offense and setting everyone up. Maybe getting a true #9 helps Santi regain his form but I'm skeptical that he's the long term answer at the 10, most times he looks like a winger trying to play the CAM role.

I feel like Magno's struggles and the lack of a #9 have kind of covered up the fact that Santi so far has been a terrible Maxi replacement. Santi is very talented and his work rate is always impressive but he brings none of the creativity and vision that Maxi provided. When a team is scoring 1 goal per game and creating so little on offense some of the blame needs to fall on the guy playing as the 10 that's supposed to be unlocking the offense and setting everyone up. Maybe getting a true #9 helps Santi regain his form but I'm skeptical that he's the long term answer at the 10, most times he looks like a winger trying to play the CAM role.
I think you’re argument is valid and makes sense. But looking at past examples when maxi was out for injuries or was subbed off, Santi is brilliant in the #10. I think right now he is trying to do too much. Needs to KISS. Keep it simple stupid. Currently he’s trying to be all of the offense and that’s just not working. If given only one role instead of 3 or 4 I think he would excel again. Either at CAM or a winger. But right now he’s trying to be both and a 9. It’s not working. I’m willing to wait and see before I pass judgement that Santi has lost his touch

I think you’re argument is valid and makes sense. But looking at past examples when maxi was out for injuries or was subbed off, Santi is brilliant in the #10. I think right now he is trying to do too much. Needs to KISS. Keep it simple stupid. Currently he’s trying to be all of the offense and that’s just not working. If given only one role instead of 3 or 4 I think he would excel again. Either at CAM or a winger. But right now he’s trying to be both and a 9. It’s not working. I’m willing to wait and see before I pass judgement that Santi has lost his touch

I think that's fair but if we take that stance on Santi then Magno deserves the same pass. Magno has been productive in the past with better players around him, yet many in the fanbase have made Magno the scapegoat while completely giving Santi a pass. I have no problem with a wait-and-see approach for all of these guys if we are saying the roster is incomplete. My initial thought was that the incomplete roster "pass" is being unfairly applied only to some and not to others.

Reactions: erosenbaum97
I've seen Santi play more on the wing this year then centrally/deep lying at Maxi did in his time at NYCFC.

Reactions: Kjbert