2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
On Sands, Rangers also fired the guy that brought him in

On the NYCFC 2 Centerbacks, neither is considered a high level prospect. Not sure either could provide the cover that Vuk did last year. At one point, Owosu was considered a big prospect. He’s aged out and hasn’t really developed.

On the NYCFC 2 Centerbacks, neither is considered a high level prospect. Not sure either could provide the cover that Vuk did last year. At one point, Owosu was considered a big prospect. He’s aged out and hasn’t really developed.
In fairness to Owusu, he hasn't been given many chances.

Reactions: JohnB

Owusu, who I think will be an extremely good MLS player for sure, was the best CB in MLS Next Pro over other teams reserve players and some big minute contributors.

Benalcazar does have some semblance of a resume from my googling.
If I were to say we had a player who started in college next to Alistair Johnston at Wake Forest against Henry Kessler and Daryl Dike in the NCAA tournament, I’m sure most of you would agree said player could play 350 reserve minutes in the MLS ala Latinovich lol. I do agree though we should look into a starting caliber CB though!
22 & 21 are still very young for CBs anywhere in the world, aside from the phenoms, I’ll reserve my judgement till the end of the year for them

Last edited:
We have deep depth at CB, but not middle depth. Not the guy who sits immediately behind the starters and leaves little or no dropoff when he comes in.
It's an issue. But assuming we can't (or won't) re-sign Callens and Martins and Chanot are penciled into the XI, Gray is the third option. It's actually his natural position (and I personally think he'd make a good pairing with Martins).

Which leaves us with Owusu and Benalcazar at the moment, both of whom were creditable at the Deuce. As solid as Benalcazar was, I think Owusu especially was downright impressive at times.

One game in particular we were getting our keisters handed to us and he came in off the bench and was an absolute warrior. Lockdown defense and either progressed the ball himself or broke the lines with a really good pass. We lost, but he almost single-handedly got us back in it.

All that being said, I don't think we should put too much stock in the preseason roster. There's more to come. We have plenty of dry powder.

Reactions: 413Blue and adam
So Santi rejected both NYCFC and Bahia. He's currently back with Torque then, but I guess the consensus is he's looking to move to Europe. He seems less developed than Taty was when he left, and Taty kind of had to settle for what he could get. I'll be interested to see how this works out for Santi.

So Santi rejected both NYCFC and Bahia. He's currently back with Torque then, but I guess the consensus is he's looking to move to Europe. He seems less developed than Taty was when he left, and Taty kind of had to settle for what he could get. I'll be interested to see how this works out for Santi.

I am kinda surprised Santi would reject NYCFC. He must not have been very happy or thought his chances of going to europe were better if he went back to south america. I'd be surprised if Torque or Bahia were offering him more money than NYCFC, but who knows. Maybe he thought he was worth DP money and the club was like... "LOL.. no" and he left.

I liked him as a player though. He always had a passion and was a fairly consistent performer. Was really looking forward to seeing him develop and stay at the club until we saw him off to europe, but guess that won't be happening. good luck to ya santi.

Paul Harvey, Part Two.
welp

Again, RTWT

tl;dr - NYCFC 2023 has lost a somewhat historically large portion of their best contributing players in one offseason, and while they have the cap room to replace them, they need to be nearly perfect with every acquisition.

ETA: NYCFC had a lot of stability for a long run. It's not great that it seems to be happening all at once, but so it goes.

Last edited:
Rangers coach on Sands:
“James Sands has had a bit of a knock. He was listed on the bench for Dundee United but once we got to the stadium he didn’t feel right. “He hasn’t trained this week . He’s had a slight muscle issue.​
“To be fair to James he’s had to play mostly at centre-back, even going back to the PSV games which were fantastic results.​
“He came in as a guy to play in midfield and can play as a centre back if required and he has done that more than we expected.​
“So I would like to give him an opportunity to play in his more favoured position before we make any decision on that one.​

We'll see.

Not sure this good news, 23 year old CB from the French 2nd division with a transfer market value of 2M. If we make the move and the value is accurate it seems like confirmation that Callens is gone and we are dumping a considerable amount into another CB. I'd rather they just spend the money on Callens if that's an option.

Paul Harvey, Part Two.
welp

Again, RTWT

tl;dr - NYCFC 2023 has lost a somewhat historically large portion of their best contributing players in one offseason, and while they have the cap room to replace them, they need to be nearly perfect with every acquisition.

ETA: NYCFC had a lot of stability for a long run. It's not great that it seems to be happening all at once, but so it goes.

It will be fine. Our fantastic Academy will backfill…