2024 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

This cuts both ways, I guess: on the one hand he was recently a highly rated prospect at solid midtable or better clubs such as RB Leipzig and Gladbach, OTOH it is a free transfer, so either his on-field production or his injury history discouraged both Gladbach from retaining him and lesser Bundesliga clubs or other European clubs from getting him. It is a rehabilitation project to a certain extent, but not a bad idea.
Not a terrible idea but I just think odds are it will be pretty underwhelming. The guy has barely played 90 minutes in the last year, and is now coming off a meniscus injury. Even when fit - he didn’t exactly tear it up in the Championship. MLS is a lot of running - fitness issues in a winger?

It’s not impossible he excels in MLS especially if the fit is good with his team, but aside from new pussy excitement - I’m just not seeing the fantastic side. Will be awesome if I’m dead wrong though.

Edit: Actually it looks like he had 4 assists to go with his 2 goals at Swansea which isn’t terrible in 19 games. Hopefully he can stay fit.

Reactions: Gene
Wouldn't be surprised if things changed once Messi came. More eyes on the league now

And more guys who want to come here.

I just think those reports were wrong. CFG has always given us an entertaining, successful project. Only 2015 and 2023 did we have subpar years, and there were logical reasons why for both of those years. I just think the people screaming about CFG were ill-informed, and this offseason is proving it. We won't know for a few months how good these transfers are, but that's at least two high-priced transfers, and potentially a third one, too. Plus another guy we got on a free from one of the Big 5 leagues. It's a hell of a window for David Lee and NYCFC.

Also for all the complaints about how late we tend to make additions ... that's now Wolf, Ojeda, Arezo, and maybe even another player coming in -- and we're still over a month away from the start of the season. Great to see the team making these moves in preseason. A lot of #narratives being destroyed this offseason.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinJRogers
And more guys who want to come here.

I just think those reports were wrong. CFG has always given us an entertaining, successful project. Only 2015 and 2023 did we have subpar years, and there were logical reasons why for both of those years. I just think the people screaming about CFG were ill-informed, and this offseason is proving it. We won't know for a few months how good these transfers are, but that's at least two high-priced transfers, and potentially a third one, too. Plus another guy we got on a free from one of the Big 5 leagues. It's a hell of a window for David Lee and NYCFC.

Also for all the complaints about how late we tend to make additions ... that's now Wolf, Ojeda, Arezo, and maybe even another player coming in -- and we're still over a month away from the start of the season. Great to see the team making these moves in preseason. A lot of #narratives being destroyed this offseason.
I've thought all along, an organization -- even one as loaded as CFG -- wouldn't pledge $750 million (read: $1 billion) to build a stadium for a throwaway team.

Anyway, it's good to see things crackling a little. I'm itching to get this season underway. Last year was so frustrating.

So ... this would seem to be exciting.

Starting to get the sense we're going to score some goals this year. Rumors of CFG's lack of caring about NYCFC seem to have been greatly exaggerated.

Interesting, he already was playing with Granada like a week ago after his loan ended with penarol. Can he even play with nycfc? Won’t that be three teams in a season for him?

Interesting, he already was playing with Granada like a week ago after his loan ended with penarol. Can he even play with nycfc? Won’t that be three teams in a season for him?

Players can play for a third team if the season overlaps (so since Penarol and NYCFC are in the summer schedule, he can go from Grenada back to NYCFC and play for us immediately). Basically, Penarol counts as last season for him.

If you want to believe the internet on a slow Sunday afternoon, apparently Bologna is offering €13/14 million for Magno.
The team is holding out for €20 mil.

If you want to believe the internet on a slow Sunday afternoon, apparently Bologna is offering €13/14 million for Magno.
Yes I read that I’m like ? How? At least taty had production so you could justify the price but not talles.

Reactions: mgarbowski and Gene

As reported by @NYCFCSource's Italian cousin @BolognaFonte

Reactions: mgarbowski
“Matías Arezo's representative confirmed that - for now - the player will remain in Granada. More than a month ago, negotiations with New York City FC stopped and the forward will only analyze offers considerably higher than the one made by the North American club.”

• Sad
Reactions: JayH
Interesting, the next time CL Merlo doesn’t report accurately on a South American transfer would be the first. We shall see what happens

Interesting, the next time CL Merlo doesn’t report accurately on a South American transfer would be the first. We shall see what happens

Yeah, I was gonna say ... I wonder what the agent's angle there is. Trying to push NYCFC to give a higher salary? Clearly the transfer fee doesn't go to the player so it has to be a salary demand, right?

Have Grenada and NYCFC agreed on a transfer fee, but NYCFC hasn't agreed with the player on a salary?

??????

I just saw a report on Big Soccer that he was signed.

ETA: Never mind. I clicked the link and it was this guy. FWIW he says an agreement was reached with the player and now they're negotiating the fee with Granada

Last edited: