Atlanta - Postmatch - Eastern Conference Semifinals Leg 2

Atlanta second goal went from being a useless free kick into the box to a scoring opportunity. Geiger gave them 3-5 yards at least.

We should have had 10 - 15 minutes of extra time but that's never gonna happen. PRO needs to do something about timewasting because it turns off viewers which means less ka ching which means it stunts our growth as a league. When all else fails, hit the bottom line.

I was excited about the second half from a tactical perspective. We lacked the cohesion and / or talent to put it together in the 18 but the way we were able to keep the ball and keep it in their half was encouraging. A little tighter on the line (Taty) and we are still on course to go 2-2 with all to play for.

I'm actually excited about next season at this point. If we can get Villa on a sub-DP contract, get a DP level winger or #10, and replace LB we will wipe the floor with 2018 Atlanta. The question is what 2019 Atlanta looks like. And what 2019 PRO looks like .

giphy.gif

What gives you the idea we're a good team right now? We were exactly .500 since Dome arrived. If Dome is the coach next year, I'm not sure I trust us making the playoffs.
You have to segment the data. As mgarbowski pointed out, there are 3 phases to the Dome reign. Part 1) continuation. Part 2) experimentation. Part 3) proposal.

I liked the way we set up positionally in the second half. It was ballsy, physical and technical. I think we are some cohesion and or one or two key signings away from producing Man City esque football.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
You have to segment the data. As mgarbowski pointed out, there are 3 phases to the Dome reign. Part 1) continuation. Part 2) experimentation. Part 3) proposal.

I liked the way we set up positionally in the second half. It was ballsy, physical and technical. I think we are some cohesion and or one or two key signings away from producing Man City esque football.

Well I think you're giving him too much credit for the Philadelphia games because that was not a very good team.

And I'd ask you why we were terrible in the first half under Dome. Go check how many times we scored a first-half goal under Dome. It's almost never. He made halftime adjustments, but almost never had the team ready from the first kick.

I'm a pretty patient fan, I don't like to overreact, but I've run out of patience with the coaching. This was more than avoidable -- this was inconceivable just four months ago.

Well I think you're giving him too much credit for the Philadelphia games because that was not a very good team.

And I'd ask you why we were terrible in the first half under Dome. Go check how many times we scored a first-half goal under Dome. It's almost never. He made halftime adjustments, but almost never had the team ready from the first kick.

I'm a pretty patient fan, I don't like to overreact, but I've run out of patience with the coaching. This was more than avoidable -- this was inconceivable just four months ago.
I feel you. I was there. I would say go back to the mgarbowski analysis in the "chasing a narrative thread". There is a clear difference between the last 10 and the first 9 games. The last 3 we played the same system as the first 9. And apart from a few defensive mistakes, we were dominant.

Reactions: Kangaroo Jack
I feel you. I was there. I would say go back to the mgarbowski analysis in the "chasing a narrative thread". There is a clear difference between the last 10 and the first 9 games. The last 3 we played the same system as the first 9. And apart from a few defensive mistakes, we were dominant.
We were dominant without purpose, so we basically wasted a lot of time doing very little. The team had no soul and no purpose with how they wanted to play.

We were dominant without purpose, so we basically wasted a lot of time doing very little. The team had no soul and no purpose with how they wanted to play.
I think our 2-3-5 looked good. We kept the ball in their half and created overloads at will. Our counterpress was suffocating. I think that constitutes a plan, but we are getting into subjective things (cue dummyrun) so we may have to agree to disagree

Reactions: Kangaroo Jack
I think our 2-3-5 looked good. We kept the ball in their half and created overloads at will. Our counterpress was suffocating. I think that constitutes a plan, but we are getting into subjective things (cue dummyrun) so we may have to agree to disagree

Well we better be keeping possession and creating overloads with eight guys in attack.

I don't take much tactically from what we were doing in the panic situation of trying to save our season.

Reactions: Ulrich
We played like reckless assholes for much of the first half, being way too aggressive attacking the players and not the ball. Sure, Escobar drew that penalty very smoothly, but if we hadn't been crunching into them for the whole previous 20 minutes, maybe Geiger calls it differently. I dunno.

Taty was embarrassing. His bullshit with Brad Guzan was just too revealing of how cynically we played this game. I don't want us to play like that.

If the club doesn't announce a stadium deal during the off-season, OR bring in a set of enormous star players, I think we know CFG might have lost some interest in this experiment. If they'd discovered Almirón they'd have sent him to Girona instead of us.

We played like reckless assholes for much of the first half, being way too aggressive attacking the players and not the ball. Sure, Escobar drew that penalty very smoothly, but if we hadn't been crunching into them for the whole previous 20 minutes, maybe Geiger calls it differently. I dunno.

Taty was embarrassing. His bullshit with Brad Guzan was just too revealing of how cynically we played this game. I don't want us to play like that.

If the club doesn't announce a stadium deal during the off-season, OR bring in a set of enormous star players, I think we know CFG might have lost some interest in this experiment. If they'd discovered Almirón they'd have sent him to Girona instead of us.

Twellman reported that during the lineup exchange someone from our coaching staff told the refs to watch out for Atlanta's diving, and then said that we wouldn't be diving.

You're right -- embarrassing that we played that way, and that's not the way I want us to play, either.

Reactions: ktdNYCFC

Everything that made me become a Eurosnob happened after NYCFC. CFG is a soul crushing entity here.

Reactions: NickFromAstoria

Taty was incredibly embarrassing. I think he showed lots of great things from an ability standpoint. And that shot he had that Guzan saved was great. But he was a fucking dick out there tonight.

Reactions: Schwallacus
One other item: does anyone know what happened with Maxi on the sideline in the second half where Tata had to get between him and whatever?

I feel like we've either said that Philly was not good at all or they were one of the hottest teams in MLS in order to help whatever argument is trying to be made at the moment.

(Clarification: I'm really not sure what you specifically have said over the past several weeks on this, but I've seen this from across the forum)

I feel like we've either said that Philly was not good at all or they were one of the hottest teams in MLS in order to help whatever argument is trying to be made at the moment.

(Clarification: I'm really not sure what you specifically have said over the past several weeks on this, but I've seen this from across the forum)
Heading into the final part of the season, Philly was hot and playing with a lot of confidence. After seeing them in the two matches, it seemed to be more a result of their individual talent than necessarily coaching. They lost that last game because Trusty was mentally fragile and we exploited it, but we wouldn’t have been able to if Herrera wasn’t locking down the middle. Without him, they’d have beaten us as he was the reason we won the midfield battles - the forum couldn’t stop talking about how much of a difference an 80% Herrera was compared to the other soulless players we’ve used this year. Seriously, without Herrera, we get bounced.

Reactions: roxfontaine
If I thought Villa leaving was weak, this incomprehensibly weak.

I'm sorry, Dome. You took a Supporters' Shield-winning team and killed them. Killed them. Maybe it's not such an offensive thing to have a reporter ask you why a certain guy didn't play.

And by the way, it's not questioning you, it's asking for your explanation so fans understand it. I've lost complete faith in Dome.
Don't take what Araos said at face value. Sounds like he mistranslated something and blew it out of proportion because of his inferiority complex.