Away 05/10 - Red Bulls

The crazy thing was, even with a man up, our entire defense was caught out of position 3-4 times that led to NJ breaks the other way. I like Williams and Wingert usually, but they just seem too boxy and not very fluid. Maybe it's better for our smaller field, but especially Williams was playing too high and had 90 yards to go to get back into the action.

I felt bad for Villa this game. He had a rough go, but made some pin-point change of field passes that would hit Alvarez or whomever on the right directly on the foot. His quality shows, but he was frustrated early and never really recovered. I still don't know how you leave BWP open 4 yards from the goal. Hernandez went to one post, Williams the back post, and left BWP without anyone within 5 yards but Saunders. I feel awful for Saunders, too. He goes out and makes a 1v1 stop on BWP, but his defense leaves him to deal with point-blank shots on almost all the goals this year that haven't been deflected.

Mix was also a ghost out there. Even in a role that should have had him moving forward. It was like there's no sense of attacking with this team. The passes are slow, and usually off by a yard or two, it's so frustrating. Poku came on and his passes are moving at twice the pace and are exact. There's not weight behind the ball 90% of the time, while NJ was pinballing through the midfield. I really do think that Frank is going to be a big difference maker for this squad, and he can't get here enough. He's going to bring some leadership this team desperately needs, and the passing ability it ought to have at this level.

Are people honestly suggesting that Kreis was justified in his substitutions because he wanted to make a statement? When your down one and RB are playing with 10 men thats the time to win a game not make petty statements by subbing off your best players and keeping on your worst.

What exactly is he expecting from Villa and Diakerud? To pick up the slack of the whole team (Primarily Kreis's RSL golden boys) Mix has to carry the midfield and shore up the defense simultaneously. No room for offense. Villa is out of position and cant get service or playing time. Im confident he would of scored if played same with Mix.

He hasnt a clue as Tom in fairfield said. Hoping for a slight change in wind direction to help us score is not giving me any confidence in his coaching abilities. He is a lost cause. Thinking Ballouchy is going to save us because he had 2 lucky goals set up for him while failing to provide anything else in terms of on the field presence.

If he wants to make statements sub off the shit that smells of Grabavoy Jacobson and Wingert. So sick of the excuses for Kreis.
Can't agree more. Making a statement to your best players shows you are out of ideas.

Reactions: Gavin23
Before last night I thought we were better than our record. Deflections causing lost points, blah, blah, blah.

Now I'm not sure it isn't the reverse. We easily should have lost that game 4-1 or 5-1. Kudos to Allen for the goal line stop on Sam, Saunders for stonewalling BWP (who could have passed right for a tap in) and the refs for erroneously calling Richards offsides and taking a way a 50 yard 1v1 with Saunders.

On the bright side, that was by far our worst game of the season imho.

Reactions: TommyM
On comparisons of BWP touches vs. Villa touches:

Of course BWP did more with his touches.

BWP is playing striker. His touches are largely going toward goal with 1 or 0 defenders to beat. Villa is playing in the midfield with all of his touches coming with his back to goal and 5+ defenders to beat. We might want to learn something here.

Can't agree more. Making a statement to your best players shows you are out of ideas.

Yes, with regards to Mix. Mix should always be on the field. Best distributor we have.

However, I believe taking out Villa was a smart idea. Villa was lazy, unproductive, and whiny. Should have subbed out Villa or Alvarez much earlier in the game.

Am i the only one who thought Shelton was awful? Every first touch was bounced five yards away. For a big guy, he can't take contact from defenders. I was a big Shelton supporter, but at this point I'd like to see him on the bench.

I agree. He's got a lot of promise, but isn't there yet. Definitely not a starter. Look around the league and the forwards...he's not at that level.

But we had possession! I fantasize about dropkicking Barça bandwagoners who think possession is everything. It doesn't mean a fucking thing if you're not shooting at the goal and scoring goals.
Wingert was barely offside. He should have dropped behind the last ED defender but he stole a few inches and that was the difference. We're lucky Miazga got sent off. Otherwise we would have gotten trounced. This should light a fire and get everyone off their asses but from what we've seen from Kreis, he'll continue putting his RSL guys out there until we're dead last.
Seba hasn't seen the field in weeks. This isn't nepotism.

We just don't have anyone better than Ned who is capable of playing 90 minutes. You guys are being pissy with Kreis when the real target should be City, who hamstrung him from the fucking minute he started here. You can't build a winning expansion side with one often-injured DP. Yet that's what City made him do. This is on them.

Am i the only one who thought Shelton was awful? Every first touch was bounced five yards away. For a big guy, he can't take contact from defenders. I was a big Shelton supporter, but at this point I'd like to see him on the bench.

No, you're not. I was absolutely disgusted with his play yesterday. In addition to the awful touch and looking weak this game; he looked SLOW! I couldn't believe it. The guy has been dynamite to this point and I don't know if he's gotten too comfortable or if that was another display of Kreis' work behind the scenes. He was BAD.

As bad as he was, Poku is stroooong. I don't think there is a player in MLS who can knock him off of the ball. The guy almost literally walks through tackles and warps the ball out on the other side. He's so quick to recover and is clearly just doing; not thinking. Kreis has to better use his roster.

Also.... width. For goodness sake UNDERSTAND WIDTH! RJ Allen was terrible.

Yes, with regards to Mix. Mix should always be on the field. Best distributor we have.

However, I believe taking out Villa was a smart idea. Villa was lazy, unproductive, and whiny. Should have subbed out Villa or Alvarez much earlier in the game.

Are you Jason Kreis or something? What in heavens name are you talking about? Alvarez was our best player on the pitch by far. Hes done 90 for us before and could and should of yesterday. As for Villa....Unproductive and whiny? Those are terms Id apply to Grabavoy and some other players we fielded but not Villa. He is a striker playing in midfield and was subbed off before he could make an impact. The only unproductive and whiny people I saw stayed on for a full 90...

Since when is being frustrated reason for substitution over just being plain shit? If thats the strategy we are going to adopt we are set for failure. You sub off shit players not performing not the players who sinply show emotion and frustration.

Reactions: FootyLovin
No, you're not. I was absolutely disgusted with his play yesterday. In addition to the awful touch and looking weak this game; he looked SLOW! I couldn't believe it. The guy has been dynamite to this point and I don't know if he's gotten too comfortable or if that was another display of Kreis' work behind the scenes. He was BAD.

As bad as he was, Poku is stroooong. I don't think there is a player in MLS who can knock him off of the ball. The guy almost literally walks through tackles and warps the ball out on the other side. He's so quick to recover and is clearly just doing; not thinking. Kreis has to better use his roster.

Also.... width. For goodness sake UNDERSTAND WIDTH! RJ Allen was terrible.

Your right about everything save for Allen. The thing he has done since starting is provide some width.

Reactions: roxfontaine
Lol RJ Allen and Alvarez provided more width that we had all season

RJ Allen was terrible. I'll give him his proper for the cross to P. Mully but this guy was getting burned all game. He was slow, unaware and left entirely too much space on the wing for the opposition to run.

Edit: Watch all of the counter attacks. They all end up playing to RJs side because he was nowhere to be found.

Reactions: Paul
Allen looked better at the end of the game, but it was mostly his fault on the first goal. He is better than Brovsky at LB but not better than Calle.

That was maybe 70% his fault. He stepped in to tackle but made a huge mistake in assuming the play was finished. I wish he'd had a twitch reaction and put his body in front of that ball. Save that goal and leave everything else as is, we escape with a draw. The rest was on whoever should have marked BWP.

That was maybe 70% his fault. He stepped in to tackle but made a huge mistake in assuming the play was finished. I wish he'd had a twitch reaction and put his body in front of that ball. Save that goal and leave everything else as is, we escape with a draw. The rest was on whoever should have marked BWP.
Hernandez and Wingert were busy playing referee at the near post while the opposition's top scorer was standing alone in the middle of the six yard box.

Shelton is fast, that's it. When he can no longer kick the ball 10 yard down the field and beat the defender there he has no weapons left. Still, this year he has gotten two defenders sent off for dragging him down - surely that's worth something. I think Kreis had the right idea with him in the beginning playing him as a sub - which makes me wonder whether he is right about how to use Poku as well, despite appearances.

I wonder how much of our poor play can be chalked up to the inconsistency in our lineup. I really don't think we are worse individually than Orlando but when they go forward they look like they know what they are doing, they just do it poorly. We on the other hand look utterly lost.

Reactions: leilanikali420

The Kreis blame in this thread is just silly. When given an impossible task, of course the person is going to look stupid and run out of ideas.

No manager in the world could turn this into a winning team.

It's real simple. We don't have talented players. We just have to wait this out and get some roster turnover in the offseason, and build from there.

Once again, RJ was a RB being played at LB because Kreis loves playing Wingert as a CB. I don't think we've played the same starting 11 since the ORL game.
Until George John comes back, I don't know that we have a better CB. Mendoza may be worth a look, but Watson-Siriboe has honestly been a bit shit.

Reactions: leilanikali420