Away 05/10 - Red Bulls

This is perhaps the greatest thread in the history of NYCFCFORUMS.com.

Honestly, how many of you were drunk with rage when you posted?

Think more marathon less sprint. We should have expected such a result against one of the best teams in MLS at their home.

Maybe you're fine with mediocracy, but I'm not. Everyone keeps using the "expansion" excuse for the abysmal performance, but that's just a load of shit. This is NYC. They are owned by two winning franchises that have a ton of money. There is no excuse why they can't field an average team. No one is asking for a championship team out of the gate, just something respectable. What we have now is pure garbage. I've never seen shittier soccer being played in my life, and I manage my son's U7 team. At this level, this team is unacceptable. Accepting it just dooms us to a lifetime of failure. We have every right to be ragging about this and holding the team accountable.

Reactions: TommyM and Gavin23
Maybe you're fine with mediocracy, but I'm not. Everyone keeps using the "expansion" excuse for the abysmal performance, but that's just a load of shit. This is NYC. They are owned by two winning franchises that have a ton of money. There is no excuse why they can't field an average team. No one is asking for a championship team out of the gate, just something respectable. What we have now is pure garbage. I've never seen shittier soccer being played in my life, and I manage my son's U7 team. At this level, this team is unacceptable. Accepting it just dooms us to a lifetime of failure. We have every right to be ragging about this and holding the team accountable.

10 freaking games and it hasnt even been a year and already people are freaking out like the end of the world. the depth of talent is thin in the league or maybe just too young. Plus we got who ever wasnt wanted from other teams. and no all the money in the world doesnt help when there are salary cap rules and a bunch of other rules that i still dont fully understand from this league. the best domestic talent is already tied to another team or on DP type contracts. so no its not that easy to get a winning team of the bat. probably been unlucky as well some of those losses could of been draws. Is it frustrating ? sure but these were growing pains i expected for the whole first year.

could they have gotten more international players? perhaps but i am not even sure how many spots are left on the roster.

maybe CFG is hesitatant to spend money due to waiting to see what UEFA will do to them in terms of FFP. maybe they are being cheap so therefore they wont spend. All these questions will be figured out by end of season and people can make their decision to see if they want to renew season tickets or not.

id feel worse being like Toronto who after years of spending so much never made the playoffs, although maybe this year they might we shall see.

My sister is taller than Grabavoy - you're going to start calling him out for not being Olivier Giroud?

You may not like it, but Grabavoy is, by rating, worthy of a starting midfield spot for us right now. The only players in the midfield higher rated at this stage are Mix and Ballouchy (by virtue of his two goals).

His passing percentages are the best of any midfielder getting minutes on the squad - better than Mix's, in fact. He's not the turnover machine people are making him out to be.

Grabavoy hasn't been fantastic thus far, but he's a great complementary piece being asked to do far too much. That's not his fault - it's the roster's. I'm not at all against criticism where it's warranted, but the "Grabavoy's shit" comments are just pure fucking idiocy.
I agree with you that Grabavoy is being asked to do too much and my previous posts on him bear that out. I also agree that he's not a CAM. While Grabavoy's work ethic is fantastic, I can't put too much stock in his completed passing percentage when the overwhelming majority of his completed passed are either lateral or backwards. I was at the game on Sunday and I can't remember one instance where he turned the ball up field and completed a positive vertical pass through the midfield. On the contrary, there were at least two occasions where he tried to go forward and he gave the ball right to a Red Bull player with little or no pressure on him. He also had our only other great chance to score a goal and he basically tapped the ball directly to Robles. Regardless, I think a lot of the anger directed at Grabavoy is really misdirected anger at Kreis for keeping him out there late in games when we are chasing a goal knowing full well that Grabavoy has shown zero ability to create or score that goal.

wow I am so dumbfounded by these types of comments. Sure is it frustrating, CERTAINLY! Do we like losing every single game and only winning one so far in the year, OF COURSE NOT. But to say that we have to hold them accountable for the bad performances is stupid. Hold them accountable? Ok so if they continue to lose, which is very probable, how are you going to hold them accountable? Are you going to stop supporting this team? Are you going to continue to show your displeasure on these boards which is in your every right to do so? Truth is, it is a LONG LONG SEASON. Are these results good? Of course not. Could these results look better if we held on to win at Orlando and vs Philly at home? Of course they would but given that they gave up late goals is another indication this team is not good. Yes I would agree with that. Is this team anywhere near a finished product? Absolutely not.

The truth is before the season started I thought they can sneak into the playoffs along with Orlando at spot 6 & 5 respectively. So far what I have seen, nothing has changed. Once Villa gets healthy, once Mix figures out MLS, they both will play better. Hopefully Lampard coming will make our midfield better and push guy like Grabavoy into a more limited role. Poku needs to start in MID and once he does, a midfield of Poku, Mix, and Lampard is a very good midfield, and a striker tandem of Villa and Nemec, with Shelton off the bench is the way to go. Again assuming health is good. The defense needs to improve and it will. And guess what, if none of these things happen, it is still not the end of the world. If this team continues to perform like this well into next year and beyond then I think it is time to really evaluate the players we are bringing in, and I think the front office will want answers from Kreis and Reyna. I think we are going down the path of Kreis having all say of player personnel, and putting Reyna into another role, or leaving the organization all together but again too soon to talk about that.

Bottom Line is this. IT IS STILL WAY TO EARLY, WAY TO EARLY to start to saying stuff like this team should be ashamed of themselves, I am done with this team, not to say you have said the latter, but I do see some fans getting so frustrated, without much forward thinking, and abandoning this team. Let's all relax, and enjoy the ride whatever comes our way this season, when the turn around does happen, it will be even sweeter.

wow I am so dumbfounded by these types of comments. Sure is it frustrating, CERTAINLY! Do we like losing every single game and only winning one so far in the year, OF COURSE NOT. But to say that we have to hold them accountable for the bad performances is stupid. Hold them accountable? Ok so if they continue to lose, which is very probable, how are you going to hold them accountable? Are you going to stop supporting this team? Are you going to continue to show your displeasure on these boards which is in your every right to do so? Truth is, it is a LONG LONG SEASON. Are these results good? Of course not. Could these results look better if we held on to win at Orlando and vs Philly at home? Of course they would but given that they gave up late goals is another indication this team is not good. Yes I would agree with that. Is this team anywhere near a finished product? Absolutely not.

The truth is before the season started I thought they can sneak into the playoffs along with Orlando at spot 6 & 5 respectively. So far what I have seen, nothing has changed. Once Villa gets healthy, once Mix figures out MLS, they both will play better. Hopefully Lampard coming will make our midfield better and push guy like Grabavoy into a more limited role. Poku needs to start in MID and once he does, a midfield of Poku, Mix, and Lampard is a very good midfield, and a striker tandem of Villa and Nemec, with Shelton off the bench is the way to go. Again assuming health is good. The defense needs to improve and it will. And guess what, if none of these things happen, it is still not the end of the world. If this team continues to perform like this well into next year and beyond then I think it is time to really evaluate the players we are bringing in, and I think the front office will want answers from Kreis and Reyna. I think we are going down the path of Kreis having all say of player personnel, and putting Reyna into another role, or leaving the organization all together but again too soon to talk about that.

Bottom Line is this. IT IS STILL WAY TO EARLY, WAY TO EARLY to start to saying stuff like this team should be ashamed of themselves, I am done with this team, not to say you have said the latter, but I do see some fans getting so frustrated, without much forward thinking, and abandoning this team. Let's all relax, and enjoy the ride whatever comes our way this season, when the turn around does happen, it will be even sweeter.
^^^ This!!

While I am not happy with how the season has gone so far I am accepting of it for reasons already stated. On top of that, I would actually be embarrassed for the MLS if NYCFC (or Orlando for that matter) were very successful right out of the box....... I want to hurt a little for a season or so..... Gives us NYCFC fans some "skin in the game" so that when we are successful (SOON!) no one can say that we bought the Cup with CFG/YS money, etc..... We took our lumps and earned it!!!

10 freaking games and it hasnt even been a year and already people are freaking out like the end of the world. the depth of talent is thin in the league or maybe just too young. Plus we got who ever wasnt wanted from other teams. and no all the money in the world doesnt help when there are salary cap rules and a bunch of other rules that i still dont fully understand from this league. the best domestic talent is already tied to another team or on DP type contracts. so no its not that easy to get a winning team of the bat. probably been unlucky as well some of those losses could of been draws. Is it frustrating ? sure but these were growing pains i expected for the whole first year.

could they have gotten more international players? perhaps but i am not even sure how many spots are left on the roster.

maybe CFG is hesitatant to spend money due to waiting to see what UEFA will do to them in terms of FFP. maybe they are being cheap so therefore they wont spend. All these questions will be figured out by end of season and people can make their decision to see if they want to renew season tickets or not.

id feel worse being like Toronto who after years of spending so much never made the playoffs, although maybe this year they might we shall see.

I'm not freaking out at all, I'm just being realistic and not apologizing for the FO. They've done a shitty job with assembling a team. I'm here until the end, but this idea that we should not complain because we're only 10 games in is ludicrous. The performance so far has been embarrassing.

Never once did I say I'm done with the team, and I'm relaxed. But I'm a realist, and if something is shit then I call it out. Simple as that. I don't making excuses, which a lot of folks are doing. Don't make excuses for them, and don't tell people to chill out because it's early. Yeah, it's early, but they're also so bad they I highly doubt they turn it around, unless they improve the talent on the team. I hope I'm wrong as hell, I really really do. I just get really annoyed when folks with rose colored glasses try to tell the folks that have legitimate complaints to RELAX, or that IT'S EARLY, or that they're an EXPANSION team. These are all excuses. Don't make excuses. Be realistic. You don't have to get pissed off, or complain, or lose hope. Just be realistic about the current state of the team. That's my point.

How is accepting defeat to one better team equate to accepting mediocrity for the whole season? I never said anything of the sort.

It's hard to be an expansion team. The real question is can nycfc change it?

Reactions: Drainyoo and Gene
How is accepting defeat to one better team equate to accepting mediocrity for the whole season? I never said anything of the sort.

It's hard to be an expansion team. The real question is can nycfc change it?

You're criticizing folks for complaining about the current state of the team. No one is bitching about just one loss. The performance of the team so far has been worse than just being a bad team. It's pathetic.

You're 100% correct. Building a new team is definitely not easy, and we have to see how NYCFC reacts. I just hope they don't think all will be saved when Lampard gets here. The non-DP players are the real issue, and make up a majority of the team. There's a large group of players on the team that shouldn't even be on the bench, let alone starting.

Reactions: Gavin23 and TommyM
Never once did I say I'm done with the team, and I'm relaxed. But I'm a realist, and if something is shit then I call it out. Simple as that. I don't making excuses, which a lot of folks are doing. Don't make excuses for them, and don't tell people to chill out because it's early. Yeah, it's early, but they're also so bad they I highly doubt they turn it around, unless they improve the talent on the team. I hope I'm wrong as hell, I really really do. I just get really annoyed when folks with rose colored glasses try to tell the folks that have legitimate complaints to RELAX, or that IT'S EARLY, or that they're an EXPANSION team. These are all excuses. Don't make excuses. Be realistic. You don't have to get pissed off, or complain, or lose hope. Just be realistic about the current state of the team. That's my point.
Your saying to be realistic. What's not realistic about these facts:
EXPANSION TEAM
Talent that other MLS Teams did not really want, we picked up, and all of a sudden we aren't supposed to be "shit" as you stated.
Homie, that is being realistic. Staying patient through the early part of the season because the realists understand from the get go, it will not be easy, and especially early on. The fans that had the rose colored glasses before the season started, I assume that is you, now all of a sudden come back to reality, and they bitch and moan, saying we demand better!!!!!!! etc etc....if you are a realist then you understand, hardly any expansion team ever succeeds. IS that an excuse? NO it isn't, its just reality.

Why don't they succeed? Because they do not have any good players! Why don't they have good players? Because they are an EXPANSION TEAM!!!!!! 2+2=4. No one is saying not be annoyed or mad. I get more annoyed and mad then anyone else however what keeps me from grounded in reality is the fact that it is still way too early, and we are an expansion team. Brighter days are surely ahead but again we have to go through growing pains. These growing pains can last a season or two but eventually we will get there. That's being a realist homie.

^^^ This!!

While I am not happy with how the season has gone so far I am accepting of it for reasons already stated. On top of that, I would actually be embarrassed for the MLS if NYCFC (or Orlando for that matter) were very successful right out of the box....... I want to hurt a little for a season or so..... Gives us NYCFC fans some "skin in the game" so that when we are successful (SOON!) no one can say that we bought the Cup with CFG/YS money, etc..... We took our lumps and earned it!!!
Good point about MLS getting embarrassed if two expansion teams were considered two of the top teams. Like I said, in pre-season I thought OSC and NYCFC could both make the playoffs as a the 5th and 6th seed and really nothing in my mind has changed. I still think that will happen. Both of these teams will improve, but even if they don't. It is not surprising. The talent is just not there and the big stars are not performing because of many reasons. I for one am annoyed about dropping points and losing games but its all part of supporting a team from the ground up. Wait till Lampard get's here, Poku grows into a more steadfast role HOPEFULLY, Mix hopefully improves...and we shall see. The key to any good team is having a good midfield. Look at the redbulls this year with Dax, felipe, and Sacha, and not to mention Lloyd Sam. Their midfield is probably the best in the league. Once we get our midfield situated with Mix, Lampard, Poku, and maybe Alvarez, we should do better.

I'm not freaking out at all, I'm just being realistic and not apologizing for the FO. They've done a shitty job with assembling a team. I'm here until the end, but this idea that we should not complain because we're only 10 games in is ludicrous. The performance so far has been embarrassing.

Sure you can complain but don't see where we could of gotten "better mls players" when the reality is we are an expansion team, and the players we got in expansion draft are probably not good enough so the performances are probably what they should of been with players obtained.

No one is being blinded by anything, we all see the loses and yes it is early, who the hell knows we may go on a four game win streak at end of season and manage to get last wild card spot, is it likely ? No but you never know.

If new players are wanted then wait till summer when transfer window opens and see what international player is obtained, cuz we ain't getting any "good domestic" player. We probably got nothing to trade for ( maybe Shelton) them

Reactions: MagnusPax
For all the complaints, just imagine if we played the second half of this season with this lineup:

----------Villa----Drogba-------------
Mix-----------------------------Alvarez
----------Lampard--Poku--------------
Calle----KWS---Hernandez---Facey
---------------Saunders----------------

Tweak what you want. Swap Drogba with another DP. Put Shelton in for Alvarez. Etc.

But does anyone really think this lineup couldn't string together enough wins to make a run for the last playoff spot? And as an expansion team, isn't just being in the running for a playoff spot about the right hope to have?

And, while we're at it, would love to see others' 2nd half of season dream lineups for our squad.

For all the complaints, just imagine if we played the second half of this season with this lineup:

----------Villa----Drogba-------------
Mix-----------------------------Alvarez
----------Lampard--Poku--------------
Calle----KWS---Hernandez---Facey
---------------Saunders----------------

Tweak what you want. Swap Drogba with another DP. Put Shelton in for Alvarez. Etc.

But does anyone really think this lineup couldn't string together enough wins to make a run for the last playoff spot? And as an expansion team, isn't just being in the running for a playoff spot about the right hope to have?

And, while we're at it, would love to see others' 2nd half of season dream lineups for our squad.
I like this. KWS and facey stand out as weak spots. And I think poku and lampard would play the same game. Need a DM to stay home. I think poku will end up subbing for frank and hopefully learning from his game this year. But two top strikers make up for a lot of problems in this league.

Reactions: Gavin23 and Paul
Main problem with this lineup: sure game 1 goes well but then 2 of 3 DPs are tired or injured by game 2. And that's the cycle for the rest of the season.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT