Away - 3/31 San Jose

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Passover seders start around 8. This match was not scheduled with the religious commitments in mind. That’s what DVRs are for.
If you're gonna start the seder at the proper time should you be watching the game later on DVR?

Reactions: Kjbert
After the NE game, its going to feel like our players have all day on the ball to make passes. SJ is not set up to succeed with the high press (if they start Quincy Amerikwa instead of their top goal scorer Hoesen they might be effective but I would be shocked if they didn't try to stick with worked for them so far). From what I have seen they are more clinical in attack than in the past but are going to look to counter and defend with numbers.

We are so much more potent on attack when Maxi receives the ball higher up the field I hope he doesn't drop back deeper in response to the Revs game -- hopefully everyone will notice how often he was fouled and that Friedel basically said it was an important part of their tactics. Before the season refs said they would issue yellows for excessive fouling of a single player.

Our first match of the season against an average/below average Western Conference team. I expect a great looking performance even on the road and without Ring.

We are so much more potent on attack when Maxi receives the ball higher up the field I hope he doesn't drop back deeper in response to the Revs game -- hopefully everyone will notice how often he was fouled and that Friedel basically said it was an important part of their tactics. Before the season refs said they would issue yellows for excessive fouling of a single player.

Interesting he admitted it. Large stretches of that game looked like those Concacaf games where the under-skilled team goes with the we can't out play them so we're just going to kick them as much as possible approach. Hopefully other teams don't watch the tape and decide it's a viable approach, if they do hopefully the refs clamp down on it as you suggest.

Reactions: adam
Interesting he admitted it. Large stretches of that game looked like those Concacaf games where the under-skilled team goes with the we can't out play them so we're just going to kick them as much as possible approach. Hopefully other teams don't watch the tape and decide it's a viable approach, if they do hopefully the refs clamp down on it as you suggest.
Definitely, but you also have to hope that PRO refs are better than CONCACAF refs and bother to call stuff and protect players. Not that it’ll happen, but that’s why yelling at the TV is a thing. We’re doomed if any other teams can understand Friedel’s accent.

Reactions: gbservis
As some have said, I have a feeling that PV gave Ofori the Mena directives and told him to always (in fact, only) make the safe pass. Likely it was because Ofori was essentially being inserted into the most danger prone position on the field, in his first start, against high pressure. It often looked like his natural instinct was to make the first move past the pressure and glide forward, only to then halt the plan and pass backwards or to a safe outlet. It looked so strange to see him make a shifty move, and then essentially change his mind. From the limited YT videos I have seen and glimpses of his first instinct moves, I actually think that he is capable of carrying the ball forward better and passing more effectively. SJ is going to sit back, and now with a game under Ofori's belt, and evolving instructions from PV, I think (hope) that Ofori is going to look like a completely different player. That's going to make a huge difference.

Admitting might have been a strong word. Freidel said their game plan was to deny Maxi the ball and Maxi had 6 fouls suffered and a bunch of others not called. I am sure I am not the only one who understood what Friedel said in the context of what we watched.

The Galaxy team we played tried the same high press and couldn't keep up the pace for more than 10-15 minutes. I don't think there are lot of teams that can play that style as effectively as the Revs and I think Ofori is going to be better prepared to advance the ball with more games under his belt.

Awuah at LB?
Out of no where we have a strange lack of depth at LB, but still some interesting options. SJ is just waiting to be picked apart. If, for some reason, we are lacking Sweat, I hope PV goes 3 ATB with Awuah next to Ofori somewhere. Get Tinner upfield and trust that Medina, Villa, Maxi and Yangel can disrupt them enough to allow us to regroup defensively for their counter.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Out of no where we have a strange lack of depth at LB, but still some interesting options. SJ is just waiting to be picked apart. If, for some reason, we are lacking Sweat, I hope PV goes 3 ATB with Awuah next to Ofori somewhere. Get Tinner upfield and trust that Medina, Villa, Maxi and Yangel can disrupt them enough to allow us to regroup defensively for their counter.

Let's get those Christian Fuchs transfer rumors started again...

Wow. You know PV has a plan for how to deal with double injuries at LB, but the question is how sound it really is. Maybe we shift a RB over to LB. Maybe a mid like Awuah or a CB can move there. Maybe its a total formation change (seems less likely). Hopefully, we don't have to find out.

This is why a guy like RJ Allen can be valuable despite his limitations. He versatility was useful in these circumstances.

Will San Jose be missing anyone besides their Panamanians?

Injury report doesn't show anything, and I doubt those two will be missing either. Game kicks off shortly, and then they can boogie home and join training tomorrow.

Vako also got called up for Georgia, and that game is at halftime (with a goal from Vako), so that is a similar situation.

ETA: I suppose it is possible those guys will have to wait and take an early commercial flight back in the morning, in which case they'd have to really hustle to make an afternoon training session.

Status
Not open for further replies.