Away - Columbus 08/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also I guess there's nothing to say about the Crew?

Chanot is the man.

This is still the same core of the team (minus one Chipotle-loving Kamara) that went to MLS Cup last year and basically killed NYCFC on the wing in their prior meeting, right?

Still has Finlay, Trapp, Tchani, Higuain...etc. Don't know why they have been so poor this year.

This is still the same core of the team (minus one Chipotle-loving Kamara) that went to MLS Cup last year and basically killed NYCFC on the wing in their prior meeting, right?

Still has Finlay, Trapp, Tchani, Higuain...etc. Don't know why they have been so poor this year.
I think it's the defense just being horrendous, or the minor problems with the back line being exposed this year. For whatever reason their offensive production is also pretty bad, only DC and Chicago have scored less goals than them. Seems like their run last year was mroe of a "getting hot at the right time" rather than the team being that good.

Reactions: Ulrich and NYC24
Columbus did finish second in the East last year so I think it was more than just getting hot at the end. Their offense this year is killing them. Last year they scored 1.7 GPG down to 1.2 this year. The defense got worse but only by 0.1 GPG.

Columbus beat us 3-2 when we visited there in April. It was the 4th game of our 7 game winless streak early on. The loss didn't seem so bad at the time given that Columbus were coming off an appearance in the MLS Cup. But in retrospect, it was a stinker. Columbus' first win of the young season, but they've only gotten two more since.

We went down 3-1. We had chances and couldn't finish, while Columbus converted all 3 of their shots on goal. Two of their goals were when Matarrita got caught too far upfield and they played in behind him. Late in the game, we drew to 3-2 when Poku drew a foul in the box and Parkhurst was sent off for DOGSO (even though Wahl committed the foul), but we couldn't get the draw with a shot by Mullins being saved off the line.

We have changed and improved quite a bit since then, with Lampard and Harrison getting fit, the move of Iraola to CM, and getting stronger tactically. Columbus has not improved.

Columbus beat us 3-2 when we visited there in April. It was the 4th game of our 7 game winless streak early on. The loss didn't seem so bad at the time given that Columbus were coming off an appearance in the MLS Cup. But in retrospect, it was a stinker. Columbus' first win of the young season, but they've only gotten two more since.

We went down 3-1. We had chances and couldn't finish, while Columbus converted all 3 of their shots on goal. Two of their goals were when Matarrita got caught too far upfield and they played in behind him. Late in the game, we drew to 3-2 when Poku drew a foul in the box and Parkhurst was sent off for DOGSO (even though Wahl committed the foul), but we couldn't get the draw with a shot by Mullins being saved off the line.

We have changed and improved quite a bit since then, with Lampard and Harrison getting fit, the move of Iraola to CM, and getting stronger tactically. Columbus has not improved.
That was also the last game of the Pirlo can play as a lone DM experiment. It was a total disaster in that match when added together with Matarrita bombing up the left side and, if I recall, even drifting well into the center of the pitch a number of times. The only good thing is that we are so thoroughly throttled for much of the match (they squandered a lot of chances early on) that it forced a tactical re-think.

This one should definitely turn out better. If not, I'm not going back to Columbus next year.

Columbus have not won since a 4-3 victory over Real Salt Lake on May 28. That was the 2nd game after the Kei Kamara trade and the game in which Ola Kamara got a hat trick. Since then, they have tied 4 and lost 6 and scored only 10 goals (7 by Kamara), giving up 20.

That was also the last game of the Pirlo can play as a lone DM experiment. It was a total disaster in that match when added together with Matarrita bombing up the left side and, if I recall, even drifting well into the center of the pitch a number of times. The only good thing is that we are so thoroughly throttled for much of the match (they squandered a lot of chances early on) that it forced a tactical re-think.

This one should definitely turn out better. If not, I'm not going back to Columbus next year.

Good stuff. I checked - Pirlo didn't play the next game against Philly as Coach V tinkered a bit. That was the first game with Lopez in the starting lineup. It was the following game - against Montreal - where we made 3 changes that are now regular parts of the lineup. Pirlo and TMac were moved more forward, and RJ Allen got his first start at RB. We deserved the 3 points in that one, but gave up a cheap equalizer in stoppage time. Since then, we are 9-4-3, with 30 points off 16 games.

You can really divide our season into 3 phases.

- Early Phase: Vieira tinkers - 7 games, 6 points
- Middle Phase: Lineups & tactics take hold - 8 games, 12 points
- Later Phase: Lampard & Harrison become starters - 9 games, 19 points
I'm really interested to see what happens in the Later-er Phase and Final Phase.

It's hopefully Pirlo, Villa, and Lampard telling the rest of the team, "see, this is what it feels like to win the league."

But first they will need to win playoffs for first time ever. They can draw on tournament experience, but this whole playoff thing will be new to them.

Reactions: mgarbowski

That was our second road game of the year, the first after playing 4 straight on the narrow pitch at YS. I distinctly remember thinking the team was too compact and didn't know how to play on a wide field when watching this match. Matarrita especially not only got caught forward, but too inside. Iraola was playing RB and also would get caught too close to the middle.

Obviously we now have Frank, Harrison, and Chanot as upgrades, but as others have mentioned, Pirlo no longer at DM, Iraola now there to free up Pirlo. Additionally, this team seems to have since figured out how to play on wider pitches.

We need to get three points here.

In what ways have we improved tactically?

In what ways have we improved tactically?
I know that you have your statistics pages open on multiple screens ready to be thrown at your huckleberry. Screw you and your numbers and stuff. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.