Away - September 22 - Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I agree with the need to get as many points as possible - having our guys available for the playoffs is important to. I just worry that Ring will get injury due to fatigue. He's always playing with kinetic tape on his knee already.

I think if there's any game where we can rotate players it's this one. Dallas is coming off a 4-0 loss and isn't in good form right now. out of the last 4 games, this is by far our easiest. I understand the argument then is that we should ensure we get 3 points. but i would hate to hear we're losing guys due to fatigue injuries for PHL and the playoffs. in the end its a judgment call and comes down to how the players feel themselves, which we don't know anything about.

We’re playing for the bye. We’d have 20 days off after reg season to rest up. Even Sands can heal by then.

I think you're reaching a bit on this. Sure maybe that travel schedule benefits Atlanta a bit, but I doubt it could be anything egregious.

I mean, we can also spin it this way.

We have the upper hand at Dallas this week since Dallas is playing tomorrow night at Seattle.

We have the upper hand home against Atlanta since (even though your example above), they have a midweek game this week and in essence, their game against us will be their 4th in 11 days whereas we will have had 3 in that span.

We have the upper hand at the Revolution since when we play them the following Saturday, they will be traveling back from a midweek game at Portland late Wednesday night whereas we will have shorter travel from our home game earlier in the evening on Wednesday.

Hey! This here is the No Spin Zone!

Damn. You make it sound so unfair for our opponents. It's almost as if there are no clear dstandards

Fatigue is a different analysis than strategic YC resting, and fatigue possibly causing injury is yet a different animal. But my general approach is the same. If a guy needs to rest you rest him. But I would not rest someone now because he might need rest 1 or 2 games later. And if you know a guy needs to rest in the next 4 games and can be flexible, I would pick New England. They are starting to slip while Dallas -- at home -- has not. And the biggest potential rest is having 2 weeks off before the second round of the playoffs, and you get that by coming in first place. But if the physio team says he's in rough shape and injury risk is multiplied, you do what you need to do.

fair point. it will come down to how the player feels in the end, as you said. yellow cards or not, if he's not in condition to play then that's that. Knowing Dome, he's not gonna rotate. He'll field the best players available. In fact, as I type this, I recall him saying that he would not rotate going into the end of the season.

We’re playing for the bye. We’d have 20 days off after reg season to rest up. Even Sands can heal by then.
Flip side is a lot of rustiness can develop in three weeks. I still want the bye, but look at college football and how many teams play their bowl game after a long break and are rusty and incompetent - it’s very typical.

Reactions: barnburner13
fair point. it will come down to how the player feels in the end, as you said. yellow cards or not, if he's not in condition to play then that's that. Knowing Dome, he's not gonna rotate. He'll field the best players available. In fact, as I type this, I recall him saying that he would not rotate going into the end of the season.
BTW, the first line of what you quoted was a remnant of an abandoned post I neglected to clear properly. Doesn't really affect anything.

Flip side is a lot of rustiness can develop in three weeks. I still want the bye, but look at college football and how many teams play their bowl game after a long break and are rusty and incompetent - it’s very typical.

Flip it right back at you. Even w/o bye you have 17 days off. And your opponent is traveling to you on 3 days rest. Also could have picked up a red/injury to a player in previous match.

time to set up a friendly with a liga MX club? though probably would be too risky for injuries and such.

i agree 3 weeks is a long time. we'll just have to find a way to manage. maybe a friendly vs a USL club?

time to set up a friendly with a liga MX club? though probably would be too risky for injuries and such.

i agree 3 weeks is a long time. we'll just have to find a way to manage. maybe a friendly vs a USL club?
I had the same thought this morning. If we clinch 1st, we'll want to have a scrimmage at some point, especially as we get guys back from injury and back to match fitness

Fun little analysis. What happens if we end the season how we started?

If we tie our last 4 then we clinch 1st if Phi and Atl each drop 1 more point in their other games.
Interesting way of looking at it which I had not thought of, but I think it's better to say "if Phi and Atl each drop any more points" rather than "drop 1 more point." Because 1 more only gets us to 7 (4 from 4 draws, 2 from PHI and ATL each dropping 2 when they draw us, plus 1 =7). But you can't drop 1 point. You can only drop 2 or 3, so any added drop gets the 8 we need for the Union (ATL just needs 7).

Crazy to think how far we've come since this post, even I'm impressed. #16

Reactions: Shwafta
Crazy to think how far we've come since this post, even I'm impressed. #16
We're 16-4-4 since then for 2.17 PPG over 24 games. LAFC is at 2.13 over 30 games. Too bad about our first six games, but maintaining that pace even for 24 games is impressive. For perspective, only 4 teams besides NYCFC have a Home PPG over 14-16 games to date that is that good or better. NYC did it for 24 games, 12H and 12A 13H 11A [fixed].

I don't think it was just Heber that flipped the switch either. Lots of people noticed that Torrent changed his approach at roughly the same time, and after a visit from Manchester possibly put the fear of being fired in him.

Last edited:
Maybe some minutes vs Atlanta? I’d take that.

doubtful. he's been on the side training by himself since last week. we won't see him get some fitness minutes in actual games until he's doing full training with the team. he's still doing strength exercises to slowly rehab his quad.

i think DOme was spot on to say the earliest we may see him is against Philly. and that's as a cameo appearance. sadly, doesn't look like we'll have a full match fitness/sharp heber for the playoffs but if we make a long run, he should be fully sharp by the cup final?

Reactions: adam
Looks like they put their best out @ Seattle tonight. Hopefully they have to rotate at home vs us after a cross country trip on short rest.

6F6603DD-0B1D-4223-9F8F-D9D233F8CEA2.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Christopher Jee
Looks like they put their best out @ Seattle tonight. Hopefully they have to rotate at home vs us after a cross country trip on short rest.

View attachment 10264
They have to fight for every point available. I don't think they can afford to rotate unless they have to. I think we are more likely to benefit from fatigue, if anything, than rotation.

Watched the first half of the Dallas game and I think we are a really tough matchup for Dallas. It was a tough to tell from tv but it looks like they put 6-7 players very high into their high press. If they use that tactic they are going to be very vulnerable to the long diagonals to the wings we favor in our attack and we should have a lot of opportunities for counterattacks. On the flip side, they don't seem to have much bite in their attack. Barrios as the 9 is less effective than Maxi as our 9.

The extra rest and preparation is going to help us. Hopefully we can get a couple of early goals and put the game to bed quickly.

I wonder if Scally will be getting any time or be a part of the trip down to Dallas. Saw in an Instagram post from NYCFC (and/or Taty) that he was part of the training squad that won the intrasquad scrimmage at the end of practice. If he's playing in those scrimmages at the end of practice I would presume he is well on the mend and possibly ready for game time. I hope he gets a few minutes in one or two of the remaining regular season games so we can see him play and also give Tinny a rest heading into the playoffs.

I wonder if Scally will be getting any time or be a part of the trip down to Dallas. Saw in an Instagram post from NYCFC (and/or Taty) that he was part of the training squad that won the intrasquad scrimmage at the end of practice. If he's playing in those scrimmages at the end of practice I would presume he is well on the mend and possibly ready for game time. I hope he gets a few minutes in one or two of the remaining regular season games so we can see him play and also give Tinny a rest heading into the playoffs.

More likely to see Miller than Scally I would think.

Reactions: Schwallacus
Status
Not open for further replies.