Big Apple Soccer Article on Players Meeting

I would be surprised if there weren't some animated and emotional conversations, meetings, etc. after that game. Hopefully they were more of the healthy venting and productive refocusing variety rather than of the finger pointing and locker room dividing variety suggested by BAS. The best evidence we will get is how they look on Sunday.

Last edited:
Crack staff.

November 1, 2016CORRECTION
About the Pirlo injury rumor

Earlier Tuesday BigAppleSoccer.com posted a story about the playoff chances of New York City FC and the Red Bulls that had misinformation in it. We thought we had taken it out of the story, but obviously we did not. It mentioned "crazy rumors" about Andrea Pirlo's injury and rumors surrounding it. We thought it had been edited out of the story. We since have removed that information from the post.

It was an honest mistake and we will be certain to make sure something like that doesn't happen again.

BigAppleSoccer.com regrets the error and offers its profuse apologies to Pirlo and the club.

Crack staff.

Earlier Tuesday BigAppleSoccer.com posted a story about the playoff chances of New York City FC and the Red Bulls that had misinformation in it. We thought we had taken it out of the story, but obviously we did not. It mentioned "crazy rumors" about Andrea Pirlo's injury and rumors surrounding it. We thought it had been edited out of the story. We since have removed that information from the post.

It was an honest mistake and we will be certain to make sure something like that doesn't happen again.

BigAppleSoccer.com regrets the error and offers its profuse apologies to Pirlo and the club.

lol sheeeeet

EDIT: another example why any rumor is taken with a grain of salt when it comes to sports for me

Crack staff.

I mean, they didn't say the rumors were baseless. They obviously wanted to verify them in some way and someone hit publish before they got it done (or they couldn't verify). Frankly, that only lends more credibility to everything else in the story.

BAS isn't some tabloid shit. Michael Lewis has been in the game a long time and wouldn't risk his credibility on absolute trash rumors.

ETA: Aside from that, who cares if they all got pissed off. They should have been pissed off. They get paid to win, and the coach hamstrung the squad.

I take no offense in your comment, but your comment is honestly 10x more naive. There was definitely smoke. To deny that is as you call it naive.
Did you actually read my comment? In no way did I say there was no smoke. I have no idea what evidence there was or wasn't. I was commenting on your statement that a story like that doesn't get published unless there is smoke. Of course it does. Happens all the time.

Did you actually read my comment? In no way did I say there was no smoke. I have no idea what evidence there was or wasn't. I was commenting on your statement that a story like that doesn't get published unless there is smoke. Of course it does. Happens all the time.
My interpretation (and since it's my POV, too, I'll assume it's what Ulrich Ulrich meant) is that Michael Lewis doesn't publish stuff like this without a source.

As I posted just above, I think the removal lends credibility to that position.

Reactions: Ulrich
I mean, they didn't say the rumors were baseless. They obviously wanted to verify them in some way and someone hit publish before they got it done (or they couldn't verify). Frankly, that only lends more credibility to everything else in the story.

BAS isn't some tabloid shit. Michael Lewis has been in the game a long time and wouldn't risk his credibility on absolute trash rumors.

ETA: Aside from that, who cares if they all got pissed off. They should have been pissed off. They get paid to win, and the coach hamstrung the squad.
And this is the appropriate manner to address an error made. Unlike a certain EOS writer who jumped on a random Reddit rumor started by one person.

Agree on all, other than not buying the inadvertent publishing part, senders' remorse (for whatever reason) seems more likely.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Agree on all, other than not buying the inadvertent publishing part, senders' remorse (for whatever reason) seems more likely.
Didn't mean to imply it was an accident. More like an editorial disagreement. But it wasn't up for long obviously, as evidenced by pg. 1, intra.

Reactions: JayH

Did PV really hamstring the side? If Lampard can't go 90 and Pirlo is hurt....well then you get stuck with Bravo, Lopez and McNamara.

Did PV really hamstring the side? If Lampard can't go 90 and Pirlo is hurt....well then you get stuck with Bravo, Lopez and McNamara.
Do you think Pirlo will play Sunday? I do.

ETA: also, see your post in the other thread about how Mix or Harrison would have at least given us a chance to have some possession. I mean, we didn't have to go so negative. And we def went negative, and I think that hamstrung the team, i.e., decreased our chance to win.

I honestly don't know.

Question for you: Do you think PV wanted to risk his season on Mikey Lopez?
I want to say no, but I can't given how much time and the situations he's played him in the past. So I'll answer the question I want to answer: I think PV wanted to try to steal a goal in the last half hour after he drew some cards on TFC.

Do you think Pirlo will play Sunday? I do.

ETA: also, see your post in the other thread about how Mix or Harrison would have at least given us a chance to have some possession. I mean, we didn't have to go so negative. And we def went negative, and I think that hamstrung the team, i.e., decreased our chance to win.
Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan I'll go to an ITALIAN witch doctor to remove the curse !

That's not how journalism works. The writer might be exaggerating, or he might be guessing based off limited information, but there's something there. There is at least a part of this that is true. Reporters don't just make stuff up.
Ummmm please refer to the recent Nazi flag in supporters section shit show

Ummmm please refer to the recent Nazi flag in supporters section shit show
Empire of Soccer is a blog run by bloggers. There is a gigantic difference between that circus and BAS which is helmed by a guy who's been in the business for decades doing reputable stuff at real newspapers.

Reactions: Kjbert
My interpretation (and since it's my POV, too, I'll assume it's what Ulrich Ulrich meant) is that Michael Lewis doesn't publish stuff like this without a source.

As I posted just above, I think the removal lends credibility to that position.

So assuming it's credible the thing that stands out to me is that he doesn't list any players by name. If the meeting was as cynical as the article implies I have a hard time believing that any of our DPs + Iraola took part. No way those guys are pulling this kind of panic move, way too much pedigree between the 4 of them to believe they would do something like this. It's even more implausible to believe they would go after PV who is essentially one of their own from the same small circle of elite European players they all belong to. Too much respect there. If any of the DPs attended Lewis would have listed them by name, what's he have to loose, it would only help sell the story. Now if you find out Saunders and Hernandez led some stupid meeting because they are pissed they didn't play and are deluded enough to view themselves as team leaders I'll buy that as slightly more plausible. If I'm writing an article about this meeting that lacked any of the big names but I still want the article to gain traction I'd be happy not to name names.

So assuming it's credible the thing that stands out to me is that he doesn't list any players by name. If the meeting was as cynical as the article implies I have a hard time believing that any of our DPs + Iraola took part. No way those guys are pulling this kind of panic move, way too much pedigree between the 4 of them to believe they would do something like this. It's even more implausible to believe they would go after PV who is essentially one of their own from the same small circle of elite European players they all belong to. Too much respect there. If any of the DPs attended Lewis would have listed them by name, what's he have to loose, it would only help sell the story. Now if you find out Saunders and Hernandez led some stupid meeting because they are pissed they didn't play and are deluded enough to view themselves as team leaders I'll buy that as slightly more plausible. If I'm writing an article about this meeting that lacked any of the big names but I still want the article to gain traction I'd be happy not to name names.
I view it the opposite way in that I could easily see the DPs being involved - they all come from Pedigree that is offensive-minded in nature and winning games... especially after the entire season has been about outscoring the opponent first and foremost. Bunkering would be like a kick in the teeth and nuts. Lewis also likely wasn't given any names, or at least didn't want to publish the one name/source as that'd be dead givaway and journalists always protect their sources. I think your Hernandez/Saunders theory is also plausible, but I wouldn't rule out the DPs either.

Reactions: gbservis
I want to say no, but I can't given how much time and the situations he's played him in the past. So I'll answer the question I want to answer: I think PV wanted to try to steal a goal in the last half hour after he drew some cards on TFC.
I think this is right. I also think his tactics have to be taken in the context of the fact that we have been dreadful on the road for the last 3+ months and have been near unbeatable at home over the same stretch. That reality makes it sensible to try to keep this game tight and also try to get a card on Bradley or Altidore.

All that being said, Mikey Lopez - great guy, but simply shouldn't be playing extended minutes. Full stop. I thought Bravo was actually good, particularly in the first half, but Lopez is simply too poor on the ball. Ideally the Mix situation wouldn't have been so screwed up (and I said that even as someone who has been pretty negative on his performance), but even if not, I wish he had played Lampard or TMac and just had them play deeper than normal.