Blues Again Pursuing Spanish Gk, Iker Casillas

Meara would be an upgrade? We all saw what he was capable of last year at Chicago.

Edit: Just for funsies, here was our lineup for that game against Chicago

Nemec-Shelton
Jacobson (red-carded)-Mix-Grabavoy-Ballouchy
Calle-KWS-Wingert-Brovsky
Meara

Mullins, Velasquez, and Matt Dunn were all subbed on. Oh, and Poku was on the bench and stayed there.

What a difference a full offseason makes to a roster.
Not for nothing but Meara was awesome in that game despite that gaffe in the box. He kept us in the game with the chance to potentially get a point if we convert any of our 2H chances (Mix's off the bar comes to mind).

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
His precipitous drop in form over the last few seasons is what concerns me. Not because I don't think he could still be an upgrade over Josh. But because we likely would be overpaying for appeal not equivalent to value, when we could likely find better or comparable value at a better price. The sums saved could be useful for better appropriation.

Meara would be an upgrade? We all saw what he was capable of last year at Chicago.

Edit: Just for funsies, here was our lineup for that game against Chicago

Nemec-Shelton
Jacobson (red-carded)-Mix-Grabavoy-Ballouchy
Calle-KWS-Wingert-Brovsky
Meara

Mullins, Velasquez, and Matt Dunn were all subbed on. Oh, and Poku was on the bench and stayed there.

What a difference a full offseason makes to a roster.
Gosh, what the fck is that defense????

What a difference a new coach makes to talent evaluation.

If we sell Poku before winning 5 consecutive MLS cups, I'm going to be like that xmen cartoon meme of Wolverine holding Jean's picture.
wolvie.JPG
Really, it's the the possibility of you chilling around your house donning elbow-length rubber gloves and a flared-out mask that's most amusing.

By signing Iker though, we'd seriously increase our worldwide women fan-base.

And would finally have the same situation as MCFC have: signing the defensive spanish-speaking players for any money - the more expensive the better - and it doesn't matter how do they play or if we could spend the money ways better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
I agree that he is not right, but to say we should spend the money elsewhere, on the defense that was so porous? We have! Matarrita gives us one of the best LBs in the league, and Brillant should be an upgrade from Facey. We should definitely go after a GK, but a guy who seems to be falling off his form doesn't make sense for any team. I feel that kennedy, Meara and Macmath have been available for the right price and would all be upgrades. The roster management at GK has been a joke.
You mean we need a 3rd gk or you say that we should sign Meara and play him above Saunders?

Meara is a better keeper than Saunders. And he's younger. It's ridiculous that he is judged by one play against Chicago. Saunders is not great, I don't understand his deification by this fanbase.

I would rate him a 60 (using FIFA metrics) but even then I give him tons of credit. That dude was bombarded at times and he stood his ground. The defense was holding the door open for opposing strikers to shoot on a regular basis and Saunders constantly stood on his head deflecting shots....

I don't care if he stays or goes, but he did a great job relative to his "talent" and our defense

Reactions: Konrad
I've kept quiet on the Saunders "controversy" for the most part but I have to say that I totally agree with this. Many here take it as an indisputable given that Saunders' distribution is terrible, and sure, he's duffed a few here and there. But I have to say that I agree totally with saying that punting the ball past midfield is a total crapshoot probably 90% of the time.

I watch a lot of EPL and the same's true there too. The vast majority of the time long punts arrive at random players on a random team rather than being laser guided missiles direct to your favorite striker. And quite a few head straight for the stands as well. So if this is what you're basing your "Josh sucks" stance on I'm just not really buying it.

Is he the best keeper on the planet? No, of course not. Is he a reasonable-quality MLS keeper? Definitely, and at a decent price to boot.

Blasting the ball to the center of the pitch ends up with a random output for even the best world-class keepers. I've been watching Saunders get reamed for his poor distribution for months here on the forum and it doesn't seem to make sense to me. It's not like he's taken 63 penalty kicks and missed 58 of them, it's more like he's kicked the ball 60 yards up the field and then soccer things have happened.

Saunders has kept us in a lot of games that our porous defense would have lost for us. Sure, he's let in a few howlers but he's also made some unbelievable saves too. And all those games we lost last year were 1-0, not 6-0.

Is he the best keeper ever? No, but he has heart and soul and loves the team and the fans more than anyone has a right to. But I'd rather have us put together good solid defense to stand in front of Saunders than to spend millions of dollars on a big name keeper.

Dude, I know you like MCFC. But even given that, this is your worst post ever because you defend us having a player incapable of doing things that are the bare professional minimum for his position. Not okay.

Meara is a better keeper than Saunders. And he's younger. It's ridiculous that he is judged by one play against Chicago. Saunders is not great, I don't understand his deification by this fanbase.
I think Saunders is the worst keeper in the league. He makes me sick to watch him. He gets credit for people kicking the ball right at him, mostly because his positioning is so poor, he shocks the attacker into kicking it right at him.

He's bad, guys. He cost us as damn near many as he saved. the fact that it's arguable alone is enough to say he's next on the chopping block.

Dude, I know you like MCFC. But even given that, this is your worst post ever because you defend us having a player incapable of doing things that are the bare professional minimum for his position. Not okay.
I'm not saying he's a technical genius and the best keeper ever, and I already said he's let in some howlers. My main point is that he's a decent keeper and I'd love to seem him play with a really good defense in front of him. I would not cry about an upgrade though, although I think defenders should be our first priority.

Not sure what my being a Man City fan has to do with it, although I did see the England #1 keeper Joe Hart distribute one into the stands just yesterday. Hey, wait, maybe that's what you're talking about.

I'm not saying he's a technical genius and the best keeper ever, and I already said he's let in some howlers. My main point is that he's a decent keeper and I'd love to seem him play with a really good defense in front of him. I would not cry about an upgrade though, although I think defenders should be our first priority.

Not sure what my being a Man City fan has to do with it, although I did see the England #1 keeper Joe Hart distribute one into the stands just yesterday. Hey, wait, maybe that's what you're talking about.
That's a better interpretation than I intended, since I was just doing a bit of sky blue trolling. You think you've got it bad, I have to watch Saunders and Mignolet.

Reactions: Vito and Kjbert