British To Amercian Soccer Vocabulary /parody

franchise646

Registered
Oct 31, 2014
NBC saw fit to translate late American Sports dialect to British dialect (with mixed results). I say we do the same for the English among us. Your are watching MLS, with the help of Falastur time to like an 'merican. First example.

The English like call this :

eden-hazard-chelsea-home-jersey-2014-2015.jpg

a strip. To us Strip is something then in a place like this:

strip-club.jpg

Or a place to land a plane :

airfield_landing_strip_42-17767851.jpg

So the word you are looking for is jersey or uniform.

Nil-nil, zero-zero or tie vs. draw?
WTF is a Nil, when and where in this country do we use the word aside form TRYING to sound English. We do use the Term "tied at zero". That's how we know you are playing soccer... or hockey. Hockey does the tie at zero thing to.

WTF is a Nil, when and where in this country do we use the word aside form TRYING to sound English. We do use the Term "tied at zero". That's how we know you are playing soccer... or hockey. Hockey does the tie at zero thing to.
Sorry I thought you were looking for examples of British to American. I'll step out now if its a private party.

Magnus was going along with what you were doing nil-nil is something you hear during an English broadcast whereas we use zero-zero.

Nobody really calls it a strip anymore, it's mostly referred to as a 'kit' or if you're talking about just the jersey we would call it a shirt or a top.

We call them boots, I think you call them cleats?

Attack and offense

The added on time at the end of the 90th minute we call stoppage or injury time, the added 30 minutes we call extra time, am I right in saying this is all just 'overtime' to you?

I'm not sure how often you use it but 'netminder' when talking about goalkeepers?

We mostly call it a pitch not a field.

If a keeper or netminder doesn't let any goals in we call it a 'clean sheet' not a shutout.

We call them boots, I think you call them cleats?

Attack and offense

The added on time at the end of the 90th minute we call stoppage or injury time, the added 30 minutes we call extra time, am I right in saying this is all just 'overtime' to you?

I'm not sure how often you use it but 'netminder' when talking about goalkeepers?

We mostly call it a pitch not a field.

If a keeper or netminder doesn't let any goals in we call it a 'clean sheet' not a shutout.

It must be hard to play soccer wearing "boots"

Mens-Western.jpg

When there isn't much room on a "pitch"

pitch.jpg

Or on this "pitch"

Pitch.gif

While a "keeper"
trapperkeeper.jpg

Is trying to keep a "clean sheet"
Clean-sheets.jpg

Or Players wear cleats on the field while goalies try to keep them form scoring.

Sorry, I had meant to contribute to this (per the OP) but got caught up in something yesterday.

Here's a couple more which haven't been mentioned so far for you:

Match

In the UK:

liverpool-football-match.jpg

In the US:

match-burning.jpg

Shot on target

In the UK:

cristiano-ronaldo-466-santi-cazorla-free-kick-in-real-madrid-1-1-malaga-with-iker-casillas-trying-to-reach-it-in-2012.jpg

In the US:

Bersa%20380%20Target%205%20shot.jpg

Man-marking

In the UK:

nthmpn1.jpg

In the US:

_64569368_wall_urine_afp464.jpg

Tackle

In the UK:

Soccer_Soccer-Slide-Tackle-from-Behind.jpg

In the US:

complete-15m-telescopic-fishing-rod-and-accessories.jpg

or possibly:

dixelated.jpg

Actually we do have tackling in the us but it is a little different

(I don't fully agree with the dude who made the video)

Haha, well if you're talking about full-body contact murder in other sports then I present to you this:

...but yeah. Anyway, should probably get back on the topic of proper football now...

Reactions: franchise646
Haha, well if you're talking about full-body contact murder in other sports then I present to you this:

...but yeah. Anyway, should probably get back on the topic of proper football now...
LMAO by the way you said match, who's fighting? Isn't the man of the match the guy who wins the fight?

Reactions: einwindir

not gonna lie, i play rugby, and the hits fucking hurt. it american football, players kinda collide to stop eachother, in rugby the player picks up and slams the other player to stop his run with the ball. plus theres the 3 second thing

not gonna lie, i play rugby, and the hits fucking hurt. it american football, players kinda collide to stop eachother, in rugby the player picks up and slams the other player to stop his run with the ball. plus theres the 3 second thing

In rugby players are also less likely to put their head down and slam it into the opposing player's head.

Reactions: CP_Scouse