Colorado - Postmatch

I’ll say it: Villa has two years left in him. I absolutely cannot believe how high his work rate and quality still are. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This year feels like his last, but if he’s still having fun and he can get some breaks from playing 90 every week, why the hell not?

Remember a few weeks ago when people were saying David Villa was washed up, done, finished, and holding us back?

That dude is the man. Works his ass off every game, and might have been the best player on the field for us for the 2nd straight game. Old Man still has plenty of youth in those legs, and he remains an absolute joy to watch. I'd wager that whenever someone did something that made me turn my head, it was Villa 70% of the time. He's remarkable.

Kind of interesting to watch Vieira try something against Colorado. Man, they stink -- I don't think there was one time all game I thought the Rapids were anywhere close to scoring a goal. Just putrid going forward. That game was over at 1-0, and it was on cruise control at 2-0.

3-5-2 was very interesting. It allow us not to play Berget on the wing and gave freedom for Villa to go where ever he wanted with out us losing our shape in the middle. Maxi had the freedom to go where ever in the midfield or press where ever in the backline when needed. We could probably play a similar line-up with a 442 diamond.

I brought my four-year-old daughter today, as it's the only match all season which starts early enough for her to make her usual bedtime, and we started out sitting a few rows back from my actual seats in order to keep dry.

She was loving all the pregame stuff until the kind of awkward and prolonged Villa 400 celebration. Then, she kind of checked out right as the game kicked off. We were out of the seats and walking around by minute nine, and then right before the first goal she said she wanted to go home. So, not a super successful outing, but at least we rampaged over a shit team.

I'm still sorry to see Tim Howard playing for that garbage side.
Oh man, that's rough. Too bad we had the worst weather on the day you take her. There are a couple more afternoon games this year, so maybe? I'm a sucker for daddy/daughter stuff.

Shout out to the usher who kicked me and my friends out from under the awning to sit in the rain for the entire match while the 15-20 seats that could have kept us dry remained open.

Did this happen to anyone else? I get they want us to sit I our assigned seats, but no one was coming and we told her if someone did come we’d move immediately. She didn’t care. Can’t wait to see her for every remaining match this season and ask her where I sit.
My advice is to raise hell via email and phone calls. The NYCFC staff at the match has no control over these rent a cop types. But as a group, pre-match, they can influence.

I unintentionally made Dan Steeves get absolutely drenched delivering me tickets. Why? Because he didn’t trust the people in the section he wanted me to look at to allow me up there.

3-5-2 was very interesting. It allow us not to play Berget on the wing and gave freedom for Villa to go where ever he wanted with out us losing our shape in the middle. Maxi had the freedom to go where ever in the midfield or press where ever in the backline when needed. We could probably play a similar line-up with a 442 diamond.
With Ring able to play CB, a 442 diamond morphs into a 3412 very easily with him shifting back and the outside backs holding a higher line with free reign to push forward.

Berget today split the sdefenders so many times and he didn’t get the throughball service. Players on the ball need to look for his runs because hitting him like that gives a completely different variable to the team’s attack.

I mean Herrera was bad again.
This seems harsh. He had some bad touches and bad passes, but thought overall he had a good game. He won a lot of balls in the midfield, which was especially important since Ring was not there to disrupt, and he did start the sequences for the 1st and last goals

Reactions: Marito
Interested in what people thought of Ring playing as a central defender in this game. I kind of feel like it wastes what makes him such a good midfielder. I thought he was nowhere near as big a factor as he usually through no fault of his own.

Reactions: LeeNYCFC
Interested in what people thought of Ring playing as a central defender in this game. I kind of feel like it wastes what makes him such a good midfielder. I thought he was nowhere near as big a factor as he usually through no fault of his own.

I thought he was a huge factor, he shut things down and had great distribution to move the ball up field. It was a different role than usual but just as important.

If we're going to continue playing a 3-5-2 or 3-5-1-1 I love having Ring playing CB. He's not a goal scorer, not do we need him to be. He can defens, tackle, and pass really well. Plus, if it gets Better and Shradi on the field with Villa I'm all for it.

I mean, that one word minimizes the fact that it was a massive tactical and formational change, so yeah.
Felt like more of a sweeper responsibility than a true CB. In that he wasn't charged with man marking and had much more license to dictate play in this system. Early days, but in the right circumstances it seems like an inspired idea. He reads the play well. He is a much better passer and handler of the ball than any of our true centerbacks. So when he wins the ball, he is able to turn it around into attack really quickly.

Also loving the freedom that Villa gets in this system, solving the left back issue (as previously mentioned) and opening up more slots for central midfielders. It finally feels like we have a system that suits our roster.

It will be interesting to see how this system fares against stronger teams. I can imagine having our wingbacks pinned by better teams and not being able to build out. I'd like to see the front two (on D) run the channels so that we can play over / around a press. We didn't have to do that too much in this game, but at least in the first half the ball down the line was barely ever available.

Felt like more of a sweeper responsibility than a true CB. In that he wasn't charged with man marking and had much more license to dictate play in this system.

I agree that Ring was playing more of a classic sweeper than CB. Going into the game I thought the Rapids threats were Badji's speed over the top and Castillo's abilities. I think Ring is faster than our CBs so moving him into a sweeper role responsible for making sure we don't get beat Route 1 absolutely works and then Isi kept Castillo out of the game by staying wide and deep because Castillo couldn't leave him too open. I thought it was a great tactical adjustment by PV -- something I am not used to seeing.

Hopefully by playoff time we will have a few looks that the team can use to make it difficult to prepare for us.

If a team is going to give Ofori or Callens 40-60 yards of space to run down the field they should take it. someone else like Herrera can drop back and cover.

7-1 wouldn't have been a flattering final score. We had a ton of quality chances.

I feel like I am still wet.

I thought he was a huge factor, he shut things down and had great distribution to move the ball up field. It was a different role than usual but just as important.

Not saying it was less important, just wondering if we're better when he's in his normal role. It didn't much matter today with how bad Colorado are, but it might matter against a better opponent.

Reactions: Christopher Jee