Donovan Left Off The Plane To Brazil

I'm sorry... I understand that this is a long term thing, but we've been "on the cusp" since 2002. I know soccer is a long-term deal. It takes decades to change things, but playing for the next world cup while this one is still in front of us is crazy. I don't care if we have a tough group, getting out of it should be the goal. Are we the Mets? Is this a "rebuilding world cup?" Seriously, it comes once every four years. If there was another WC next year? Sure. Let's throw this one away and play for the future, but who the heck knows what can happen in four years. Play the next game on your schedule.

Leaving Donovan off scream "2018" not let's play to the best of our abilities now.
on the cusp? really, i dont think so, not even close. Now there is finally some progress, the next 4-8 years should yield some real talent, donovan is an average player but was our best, that isnt saying a lot

You don't need 23 players in better form. That's what people don't seem to understand. You just need 2-4 people that play his position better.

Klinsmann views LD as a Forward. I don't agree, but whatever. I love Wondo and he's in great form internationally, but it's Landon Donovan. They would essentially play the same minutes.

And let's say he's a MF. Zusi (love him), Davis (like him) and Green (who knows) offer more internationally than Donovan?

on the cusp? really, i dont think so, not even close. Now there is finally some progress, the next 4-8 years should yield some real talent, donovan is an average player but was our best, that isnt saying a lot

After 2002, we were on the cusp. Then in 2012, before the Nashville debacle, we were on the cusp with our U-23.

After 2002, we were on the cusp. Then in 2012, before the Nashville debacle, we were on the cusp with our U-23.

Cusp of what? I have never heard of US soccer as a contender to winning the World Cup. There have been claims of "these guys coming up have a lot of potential" some of which panned out and some didn't.

And the question for Donovan is how you play him. People talk about him as a super sub but as Alexi Lalas pointed out in his Bighead/Redhead podcast last week, Donovan's been a full game kind of guy. He's never been a super sub; he needs the whole flow of the game. So if Klinnsman can't fit Donovan into his starting lineup, and Donovan isn't much use as a sub, then I get it.

Now, I have no idea how Yedlin made the roster. Yedlin make Portland look like Real Madrid.

Klinsmann views LD as a Forward. I don't agree, but whatever. I love Wondo and he's in great form internationally, but it's Landon Donovan. They would essentially play the same minutes.

And let's say he's a MF. Zusi (love him), Davis (like him) and Green (who knows) offer more internationally than Donovan?
Love zusi too, i think he is the key, one of the first americans i have seen play with creativity and flair.

When the US broke out in 2002 it was, wow in 10 years, we could be looking at quarters or semis all the time. That's what "on the cusp" means. Now, they're saying that all over again.

This. Said it better than I could get it across.

When the US broke out in 2002 it was, wow in 10 years, we could be looking at quarters or semis all the time. That's what "on the cusp" means. Now, they're saying that all over again.

But there was no infrastructure at that point. In 2002, the Seattle Sounders were about 5 years away from existing. Portland was 9. There were 10 MLS teams total. 2002 helped boost soccer to the point where invest in infrastructure could happen, infrastructure which we're starting to see some results from. Expecting the US to compete with Spain or Germany with that little investment was insane.