Expansion Rumors Megathread

How much do you think they asked for?

us.as.com/us/2016/01/29/futbol/1454102531_658250.html

Translated:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://us.as.com/us/2016/01/29/futbol/1454102531_658250.html?id_externo_rsoc=comp_tw&edit-text=&act=url

This was the recent article that came out on it. Miami United says they aren't looking for money, they want to be involved in the project. Basically, he probably wants a small stake in the MLS team and resources to grow the NPSL team while partnering the MLS Miami as a reserve or developmental squad.

us.as.com/us/2016/01/29/futbol/1454102531_658250.html

Translated:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://us.as.com/us/2016/01/29/futbol/1454102531_658250.html?id_externo_rsoc=comp_tw&edit-text=&act=url

This was the recent article that came out on it. Miami United says they aren't looking for money, they want to be involved in the project. Basically, he probably wants a small stake in the MLS team and resources to grow the NPSL team while partnering the MLS Miami as a reserve or developmental squad.
Beckham would say no to that cause he said no another group asking for that.

Well we expect smaller cities to charge less, but I'm confused by the map. Are those upper sections only a few rows deep or luxury boxes (doesn't make sense by price coloring)? Interesting how they charge more as you get closer to the center line. Our stadium seems to have a different pricing approach which I like better.

View attachment 4008 View attachment 4009

Atlanta will play in a new stadium that will be dual use for football/soccer. (It will also have a wicked cool roof that retracts like the lens of a camera.)

The soccer configuration assumes the upper decks are curtained off, so the map is for the lower sections and luxury boxes. Of course, if their ticket sales are strong enough, they might open some upper decks too.
atlanta-falcons-stadium.jpg

Reactions: FootyLovin and adam
Atlanta will play in a new stadium that will be dual use for football/soccer. (It will also have a wicked cool roof that retracts like the lens of a camera.)

The soccer configuration assumes the upper decks are curtained off, so the map is for the lower sections and luxury boxes. Of course, if their ticket sales are strong enough, they might open some upper decks too.

Not very innovative, Cobra had that type of retractable roof decades ago!

terrordrome-small-114.jpg

2022 - San Diego Flash (#27; Another city soon to lose it's NFL team, which clearly arouses MLS)
2022 - Detroit City FC (#28; Sorry San Antonio, this round is all about the TV deal next year, and there's more people in Detroit)

If you account for the continued population decline in Detroit and increase in SA this may not be true by 2022. I think you also have to consider health of the economy. Detroit may have more people but if a large % of them can't afford to go to a game then it doesn't matter.

Reactions: FootyLovin
If you account for the continued population decline in Detroit and increase in SA this may not be true by 2022. I think you also have to consider health of the economy. Detroit may have more people but if a large % of them can't afford to go to a game then it doesn't matter.

The Detroit metro area is 12th in the country at 5.3 million people, and only lost 0.14% from 2010 to 2012.

San Antonio metro area is 31st in the country at 2.2 million people, and grew by 4.27% from 2010 to 2012.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_areas_of_the_United_States

Unless there is some radical change, Detroit should still be about twice the size of San Antonio in 2022.

In addition, Detroit is 13th in number of TV households while San Antonio has less than half and is ranked 32: http://www.tvb.org/media/file/2015-2016-dma-ranks.pdf

All that said, and for the purpose of fairness, San Antonio blows Detroit away in number of Hispanic TV households at 443k to 59k: http://www.tvb.org/media/file/2015-2016-dma-ranks-hispanic.pdf

I still think if Detroit finds an investor and is able to secure a stadium (good real estate market in Detroit right now), they would have a slight edge on San Antonio. But it could be a toss up. Maybe they both go in ahead of San Diego?

Reactions: gbservis

I dislike how the seats look far from the field and also very high up. That near side section with the MLS logo looks 20 feet above the field.

I dislike how the seats look far from the field and also very high up. That near side section with the MLS logo looks 20 feet above the field.

The stadium looks awesome and with their ticket sales, the atmosphere should be great. But I agree that if there's one thing to complain about, it's the low grade of the lower bowl. Fans are pushed away from the action a little bit rather than on top of the action, because it's designed for 71k not 29k, and they need room for the upper decks.

But still, amazing looking stadium that Atlanta fans should be thrilled with.

Reactions: Ulrich
Reactions: adam
No surprises. David Beckham probably has little interest in investing in the club. He is simply going to leverage his brand, and his $75m+ discount to hold onto a nice chunk of equity in the club.

No surprises. David Beckham probably has little interest in investing in the club. He is simply going to leverage his brand, and his $75m+ discount to hold onto a nice chunk of equity in the club.

While this makes sense, why the hell wasn't it done two years ago? Maybe with some deeper pockets behind them, they could have greased the right wheels and got one of the top tier stadium sites.

Really wish they just gave #24 to Sacramento. Everything would be all set for 2017 and 2018. Miami could then take it's time with a new deadline of 2020 in order to be established before the new TV deal negotiations.

Reactions: Paul
While this makes sense, why the hell wasn't it done two years ago? Maybe with some deeper pockets behind them, they could have greased the right wheels and got one of the top tier stadium sites.

Really wish they just gave #24 to Sacramento. Everything would be all set for 2017 and 2018. Miami could then take it's time with a new deadline of 2020 in order to be established before the new TV deal negotiations.

It's possible that Beckham wanted to be the majority owner and call the shots. It took two years of frustration for him the learn how much $$ it would actually take to get a stadium off the ground and a team up an running.

Reactions: jerseyhotspur
It's possible that Beckham wanted to be the majority owner and call the shots. It took two years of frustration for him the learn how much $$ it would actually take to get a stadium off the ground and a team up an running.

The league and his business people should have counseled him otherwise. This whole thing really has been a disaster. Can't wait to be past Miami and on to the next group of four.

Reactions: gbservis
The league and his business people should have counseled him otherwise. This whole thing really has been a disaster. Can't wait to be past Miami and on to the next group of four.
I wish the league would just tell him the clock has run out and he's lost his option to buy in. How many years does it take to put this together, or should I rephrase it, be allowed to put this together? Plus, what I cannot understand is that between Beckham (estimated at $350M net worth) and Simon Crowell as his current ownership partner (btw, he's worth over $550M w/ $95M/year), how can Beckham not have enough capital to pull this off???

This has been a fiasco from the beginning.... time to pull the plug and move on.....

Miami and Atlanta. Two cities that historically have been selective in supporting sports franchises. Maybe soon St Louis can be added to the list. Where have you gone Zelmo Beatty and Clyde Lovellette. I guess money matters more than anything to Garber.

Would it be even the slightest bit possible to put an MLS team in Puerto Rico? I think it would be cool to incorporate one of our US Territories into the fun exciting league we call MLS.

Would it be even the slightest bit possible to put an MLS team in Puerto Rico? I think it would be cool to incorporate one of our US Territories into the fun exciting league we call MLS.
Puerto Rico as a territory is teetering on bankruptcy because of a weak tax base. That translates to a limited amount of liquidity among the constituents. Not sure that placing a club on the island would be financially stimulating/rewarding to the hypothetical ownership group.

Miami is all about adding a big TV market ahead of the next TV package. It is not a sports town. Support for the local teams tends to be limited to when they are winning and when there is a big game and while that's true to some extent everywhere, the swings in Miami are huge. The fans can sell out a big rivalry game and leave the stadium half empty the rest of the season.

Reactions: 21Architect