Favorite league and team to watch?

Feel free to continue watching the other leagues. I am sure you have never fallen asleep watching Stoke vs West Brom before...
I'll watch anything man. I like MLS and watch almost every match since I subscribe to the live package. I just think SJ plays really ugly football. There are usually 4-5 teams in EPL that play equally ugly football. Stoke came around last year after Pulis took his negative tactics to Palace.

I don't like Ligue 1 or Serie A quite so much, but mostly because I don't know the players or clubs too well with a few exceptions. In any event, I think those leagues are becoming less and less relevant anyway. It's happening incrementally, but I think they are on the whole slipping a touch outside a few clubs.

Reactions: horky
I'll watch anything man. I like MLS and watch almost every match since I subscribe to the live package. I just think SJ plays really ugly football. There are usually 4-5 teams in EPL that play equally ugly football. Stoke came around last year after Pulis took his negative tactics to Palace.

I don't like Ligue 1 or Serie A quite so much, but mostly because I don't know the players or clubs too well with a few exceptions. In any event, I think those leagues are becoming less and less relevant anyway. It's happening incrementally, but I think they are on the whole slipping a touch outside a few clubs.

I agree with you regarding Serie A; it's fall in to obscurity is evidenced by Juventus' performance in the Champions League and Europa League. They have dominated Italy for a few years now but barely finished above Copenhagen in their CL group (having only won a single game on the campaign against the Danish) and then went out in the EL Semi-finals to Benfica after failing to score in the home leg (though, admittedly, they did put quite a few shots on target). Add to that Milan were the only Italian club which barely made it out of their CL group before crashing out against Atletico—and both Napoli and Fiorentina where knocked out of the EL round of 16—and you have a fairly clear picture of their competitiveness with even "lowly leagues" like Liga Portuguesa and Danish Superliga. I just hope another Calciopoli is not on the horizon, as well, otherwise Serie A will become a league comprised entirely of past glory.

Ligue 1 is a bit different, though. It is not becoming a competition of the same quality as the Premier League but it is developing toward the second La Liga, with two clubs set to dominate and two-three others vying for the other places (and occasionally giving PSG and Monaco hard-fought losses). The profit sharing is set to be a bit better than in Spain, as well, as both ownership groups of the mega-rich clubs seem to care about the long game (I would say based on Monaco's gate/local sponsorship limitations they have to care, but that's a discussion for another time). I think they will continue to strengthen in the European competitions and will become solidly the fourth best league in Europe.

Ligue 1 is a bit different, though. It is not becoming a competition of the same quality as the Premier League but it is developing toward the second La Liga, with two clubs set to dominate and two-three others vying for the other places (and occasionally giving PSG and Monaco hard-fought losses). The profit sharing is set to be a bit better than in Spain, as well, as both ownership groups of the mega-rich clubs seem to care about the long game (I would say based on Monaco's gate/local sponsorship limitations they have to care, but that's a discussion for another time). I think they will continue to strengthen in the European competitions and will become solidly the fourth best league in Europe.

You're right on Ligue 1. It's just that every time it shows up on tv here, the matches are terribly boring, except when it's PSG boat racing some team like Nice.

La Liga #HalaMadrid

Same. I never miss a Real Madrid match even if I have to watch an unauthorized online stream for early rounds of the Copa del Rey. :-/

Any Real Madrid fans should check out the official NYC chapter of the Peña Madridistas (official Real Madrid supporters club). We are the biggest Peña outside of Spain and get together for every match at Quinn's (356 W. 44th St.)

I know almost all the players in MLS and I've seen many of them in their stadiums hence they are my favorite league. Are they the best? Certainty not. But their my fav.

How do you define one league being better then another?
Well, most who use a basic analytical framework base their thesis on relative quality as a function of inter-competition outcomes, investment distribution, spectator viewership, and concentration of international players.

But, if you mean determining a favourite, they generally just go with the one they have access to that provides the most satisfaction.

Just out of interest distance is obviously a factor but as of now how far do you travel to watch your favorite team play or is it just on screentime? Ill kick it off I have a 400ml round trip to watch City

Just out of interest distance is obviously a factor but as of now how far do you travel to watch your favorite team play or is it just on screentime? Ill kick it off I have a 400ml round trip to watch City

My journey to Manchester is also approx. 400 miles round trip. Doesn't help that I have to start by heading in the wrong direction just to get into London.

I mainly watch the EPL now. Used to watch La Liga, Serie A, and the Bundesliga when they were on ESPN/WatchESPN. Man City is my favorite team to watch.

I also watch the MLS quite a lot and I really like where the league is headed. And I went to my first soccer match @ RBA for the RB v TFC last month and really enjoyed it.

My journey to Manchester is also approx. 400 miles round trip. Doesn't help that I have to start by heading in the wrong direction just to get into London.
snap! live in Dorset so all the pretty crap to get to m/way:(

I'm in Herts, so plenty of access but have to take the train as I can't drive (for some reason). Takes as long as driving anyway, although surprisingly I quite like the long train journeys.

Premiere League/Chelsea. but now with NBC i watch whenever a game is on live and will DVR other games im interested in.

I watch the Campeonato Brasileiro Serie A league. My favorite team is Corinthians and I have been following them since 1999. They play in Sao Paulo, Brazil and have won the FIFA Club World Cup twice. The only other team with 2 championships is Barcelona.

I lived in Madrid for a while back in 2010 and became a huge fan of theirs during that time and since.

Reactions: BxLio91
I agree with you regarding Serie A; it's fall in to obscurity is evidenced by Juventus' performance in the Champions League and Europa League. They have dominated Italy for a few years now but barely finished above Copenhagen in their CL group (having only won a single game on the campaign against the Danish) and then went out in the EL Semi-finals to Benfica after failing to score in the home leg (though, admittedly, they did put quite a few shots on target). Add to that Milan were the only Italian club which barely made it out of their CL group before crashing out against Atletico—and both Napoli and Fiorentina where knocked out of the EL round of 16—and you have a fairly clear picture of their competitiveness with even "lowly leagues" like Liga Portuguesa and Danish Superliga. I just hope another Calciopoli is not on the horizon, as well, otherwise Serie A will become a league comprised entirely of past glory.

Serie A is one of the best leagues imo

Yes Juve have dominated in recent years but there are so many good footballing sides and historically big clubs in the league at the moment.

You have Juve, Roma, Napoli, Fiorentina, Atalanta and Parma who all play good attractive attacking football, as well as other big sides like Lazio, Torino, Inter and AC Milan.

Plus so many big derby matches Lazio vs Roma
Sampdoria vs Genoa
Torino vs Juve
Inter vs Milan

I wouldn't really look at European results to see how strong a league is. City havent even reached the quarters of CL yet even they have won the prem twice in the past three years.

Serie A is one of the best leagues imo

Yes Juve have dominated in recent years but there are so many good footballing sides and historically big clubs in the league at the moment.

You have Juve, Roma, Napoli, Fiorentina, Atalanta and Parma who all play good attractive attacking football, as well as other big sides like Lazio, Torino, Inter and AC Milan.

Plus so many big derby matches Lazio vs Roma
Sampdoria vs Genoa
Torino vs Juve
Inter vs Milan

I wouldn't really look at European results to see how strong a league is. City havent even reached the quarters of CL yet even they have won the prem twice in the past three years.
I have argued that the premier league has not quite been as strong as some believed. I think that will change this year, though.

I also think you are arguing that the league is entertaining, which I can agree with, while I am arguing that it is no longer strong relative to the other leagues from a footballing perspective. I don't take history into account because otherwise I would have to say the Championship is a strong league because it has so many historically successful clubs.

Just different arguments.