Frank Lampard Thread

Add me to the list. Lampard is looking a lot like very late career Derek Jeter right now: capable of short streaks where he seems 27 again but mostly washed up. From start to finish this has been handled poorly by every party and hobbled by bad luck because every poor decision has played out as negatively as could possibly happen.
I just saw the interview MikeDatTiger MikeDatTiger mentioned and wanted to punch the screen when Kreis said that. It just reaffirms that Kreis is a great coach but sadly unprincipled fucking liar who is all-too-comfortable and smooth in his BS to the public. "Well let me say that Lampard's both feet are in" [except he chose not to be here now]. And he says it so calmly -- I don't think his pulse jumped above 50 bpm when he said it.

And I don't want to hear that Kreis has no choice. There are lots of ambiguously favorable things he could say instead of just purely false nonsense. When the interviewer says "And you have Frank Lampard one-foot-in one-foot-out according to critics, let's say" all Kreis should say is "We look forward to his arrival and will welcome him when he gets here." Not negative, in fact vaguely positive, not insulting to Frank, to the team or management, and not a lie.

On top of that to put Lampard's commitment to this team on the same plane as Villa's is a damn insult to the Captain, who probably has too much class to care but it still stinks.

Every time I'm about to get over it these assholes give me a new reason to be annoyed. Kreis couldn't get one week past that absolutely positive awesome home opener without being a lying prick.

It would be awesome if Lampard came here and turned into a valued contributor. It's not beyond every reasonable possibility. I want the team to succeed. But if it does happen it would amount to a complete turn in the way this has gone so far given that every piece of timing has been disastrous. And they're not going to let him go, or transfer him back to MCFC. We're stuck with him. How many years is the contract?

I agree his form went off at the same time as the shit hit the fan.
I think looking at how bad ,pub standard the defences are in mls you just know he will score shit loads ,they won't have a clue he's coming
On a side note we've met frank about ,6 times and he's one of our better pro s and I think he will be a good ambassador for the club off the pitch.
I don't know how much you can actually blame him for any of this ,at the end of the day your an employee and you do/go where you told .
Do you agree about maybe having a decent centre half as a DP ?

I'm a Man City fan, but I don't think any Man City fan can crack "pub league defense" after the humiliation Messi handed City yesterday.

I'm not sure the reports back this as "Frank was told to stay in Manchester" as much as "Frank asked to stay in Manchester and, with Pellegrini's eager blessing, CFG relented."

I'm not sure I'd rather see the last DP spot on a center half; DPs tend to favor offensive players, and only Portland has used a spot on a defender (Ridgewell). I do think spending one on a DM might be a smart investment.

Reactions: Narrowback gal
I'm a Man City fan, but I don't think any Man City fan can crack "pub league defense" after the humiliation Messi handed City yesterday.

I'm not sure the reports back this as "Frank was told to stay in Manchester" as much as "Frank asked to stay in Manchester and, with Pellegrini's eager blessing, CFG relented."

I'm not sure I'd rather see the last DP spot on a center half; DPs tend to favor offensive players, and only Portland has used a spot on a defender (Ridgewell). I do think spending one on a DM might be a smart investment.
As far as I know clubs cant tell players where to go, especially in Lampard's case when he had not signed a contract with any club. Am I wrong in thinking the contract he signed to be with City right at this moment was signed on January 1st? So before that contract was signed there was no way City, or Pellegrini could tell him where to go because he wasn't even signed to a contract with their club. It would be like NYCFC telling Xavi he has to play with us. We can't do that.
So like you said, I am positive Frank not only was okay with the stay at City, but he most likely asked for it.

Messi gave a master class last night I don't think any defence in the world would of stopped him last night without hart it could have been ten.
I honesty think the mls clubs want a star name and star player for DPs and are totally neglecting the defensive side of the game.from what little bit I've seen .I cannot believe any club could sign liam ridgewll he's only ever been a championship level player.it has been rumoured that kolo toure could be an option for nycfc after last night you could buy a kolo get a yaya free

Add me to the list. Lampard is looking a lot like very late career Derek Jeter right now: capable of short streaks where he seems 27 again but mostly washed up.

Yup, and I think he'll have another thing in common with Jeter soon... my bet's that he'll probably be retired very soon.

I was talking to someone at work about NYCFC, the opener, etc... and Lampard came up and I told him I'm thinking Lampard may just full on retire at the end of the BPL season and not bother to ever come over. That wouldn't surprise me one bit.

If he doesn't, then I'm guessing he'll retire at the end of this MLS season. I think with his age and his apathy toward NYCFC and MLS he's probably going to just be a blip on the radar in the grand scheme of things.

Yup, and I think he'll have another thing in common with Jeter soon... my bet's that he'll probably be retired very soon.

I was talking to someone at work about NYCFC, the opener, etc... and Lampard came up and I told him I'm thinking Lampard may just full on retire at the end of the BPL season and not bother to ever come over. That wouldn't surprise me one bit.

If he doesn't, then I'm guessing he'll retire at the end of this MLS season. I think with his age and his apathy toward NYCFC and MLS he's probably going to just be a blip on the radar in the grand scheme of things.
I think its more likely he will retire at the end of one full MLS season. After all the abuse he has gotten I'm sure he will play atleast a few games for us before he calls it quits.

Add me to the list. Lampard is looking a lot like very late career Derek Jeter right now: capable of short streaks where he seems 27 again but mostly washed up. From start to finish this has been handled poorly by every party and hobbled by bad luck because every poor decision has played out as negatively as could possibly happen.
I just saw the interview MikeDatTiger MikeDatTiger mentioned and wanted to punch the screen when Kreis said that. It just reaffirms that Kreis is a great coach but sadly unprincipled fucking liar who is all-too-comfortable and smooth in his BS to the public. "Well let me say that Lampard's both feet are in" [except he chose not to be here now]. And he says it so calmly -- I don't think his pulse jumped above 50 bpm when he said it.

And I don't want to hear that Kreis has no choice. There are lots of ambiguously favorable things he could say instead of just purely false nonsense. When the interviewer says "And you have Frank Lampard one-foot-in one-foot-out according to critics, let's say" all Kreis should say is "We look forward to his arrival and will welcome him when he gets here." Not negative, in fact vaguely positive, not insulting to Frank, to the team or management, and not a lie.

On top of that to put Lampard's commitment to this team on the same plane as Villa's is a damn insult to the Captain, who probably has too much class to care but it still stinks.

Every time I'm about to get over it these assholes give me a new reason to be annoyed. Kreis couldn't get one week past that absolutely positive awesome home opener without being a lying prick.

It would be awesome if Lampard came here and turned into a valued contributor. It's not beyond every reasonable possibility. I want the team to succeed. But if it does happen it would amount to a complete turn in the way this has gone so far given that every piece of timing has been disastrous. And they're not going to let him go, or transfer him back to MCFC. We're stuck with him. How many years is the contract?

Point 1: This interview was clearly held on media day, which was before the opener. Weird timing, but there you go.

Point 2: the calmness you note seemed to me a product of him trying to keep his cool during a really stupid interview from an interviewer who clearly derived her questions from Wikipedia.

Point 3: You can read his bit about commitment also as a message to Lampard. As in: "You lying sack of ****. You screwed up all my plans. I can't stop you from coming here, but in every interview that I have to sit through and answer a question, I'm going to bring up commitment because that's all you're going to hear once you get here. Commitment is the theme of NYCFC and you better know it. I'm going to double down and emphasize your commitment in interviews so that when you get here, that's what you'll be judged on by the fans and media. Sure you still want to come?"

I think its more likely he will retire at the end of one full MLS season. After all the abuse he has gotten I'm sure he will play atleast a few games for us before he calls it quits.
With the unique talent he has and what he's up against he should be fine for a couple of seasons.trust me you will be chanting his name when he smashes a few in seen exactly the same with tevez and toure.football fans are a very strange forgiving bread when the ball hits the net

With the unique talent he has and what he's up against he should be fine for a couple of seasons.trust me you will be chanting his name when he smashes a few in seen exactly the same with tevez and toure.football fans are a very strange forgiving bread when the ball hits the net
That is definitely not happening. And that is unfortunate because from the time I was 10 years old he was my favorite player. The first jersey I every bought was the 2004-2005 season Chelsea shirt with his name on the back. From then on he was my favorite player. Fast forward to news of him coming to NYCFC and they are immediately adopted as my MLS team and I got a shirt with his name on the back.
Of course when (if) he plays for us, I hope he does well so our team doesn't suffer, but it won't go beyond that. I won't cheer for him and I won't boo him. In all honesty I just hope he doesn't come at all. I don't care if he scores the goal that wins us the MLS cup, it won't make me like him any better.

And also, we aren't typical "football fans." The majority of NYCFC's fans are American and from New York City and the surrounding areas. Not the same types of fans you see in England. Not even close.

That is definitely not happening. And that is unfortunate because from the time I was 10 years old he was my favorite player. The first jersey I every bought was the 2004-2005 season Chelsea shirt with his name on the back. From then on he was my favorite player. Fast forward to news of him coming to NYCFC and they are immediately adopted as my MLS team and I got a shirt with his name on the back.
Of course when (if) he plays for us, I hope he does well so our team doesn't suffer, but it won't go beyond that. I won't cheer for him and I won't boo him. In all honesty I just hope he doesn't come at all. I don't care if he scores the goal that wins us the MLS cup, it won't make me like him any better.

And also, we aren't typical "football fans." The majority of NYCFC's fans are American and from New York City and the surrounding areas. Not the same types of fans you see in England. Not even close.
A football fan is a football fan new York fans are no different to fans in outa Mongolia .when the ball hits the net the stadium will erupt whoever scores it

Very much in agreement with Mike and Nicholas here. MLS needs to make a bold statement about the increasing quality of this league. The club/league need to cut the cord on Lampard and sign another DP that wants to get into the energy that is happening in MLS and especially at NYCFC.
Exactly, if Manchester were smart, and this has all proven that they aren't, but if they were smart, they'd realize Lampard's a lost cause. All he'll do when he arrives is re-open the old wounds that started to heal with our good start in the league. It will be bad for Lampard, it will bad for us, it will be bad for everyone. So why have him come here?

Really, give Mix a raise, he deserves it and he wants to be here. Make him a DP and get someone else to round out our 3. I think all New Yorkers would like that.

Exactly, if Manchester were smart, and this has all proven that they aren't, but if they were smart, they'd realize Lampard's a lost cause. All he'll do when he arrives is re-open the old wounds that started to heal with our good start in the league. It will be bad for Lampard, it will bad for us, it will be bad for everyone. So why have him come here?

Really, give Mix a raise, he deserves it and he wants to be here. Make him a DP and get someone else to round out our 3. I think all New Yorkers would like that.
So why have him come here ?
With the standard of defending in MLS even at this stage in his career lampard will be good for 10/15 goals from midfield and will comfortably outscore Nemec

So why have him come here ?
With the standard of defending in MLS even at this stage in his career lampard will be good for 10/15 goals from midfield and will comfortably outscore Nemec
We'll see....maybe...in about 4 months.

We'll see....maybe...in about 4 months.
I've been quite impressed with the standard of play so far this season except for the standard of defending which is incredibly bad across the league.if frank can manage 5 in about 2 full games in England he will score for fun in the us

I will definitely chant his name - followed by "GO HOME!" I am sure that I will come up with something more creative over the next four months, but for now FRANK LAMPARD GO HOME is a good start.