Frank Lampard Thread

How about instead of fuck off, we make it screw off?

We have more than enough time to let our dislike and distrust fester and develop into an organic chant. Perhaps when he scores a goal chanting:

"There's Frank Lampard!
We don't really care!
Don't even want him here!"

If I came up with that in 4 minutes - who knows what can happen in four months.

Frank did some questionable things when he was younger, but I'm not going to throw a stone since I live in a glass house. I also understand fans frustrations with (the timing of) Frank Lampard's arrival; I am one of these fans. However, I want NYCFC to play as well as it can, and for the team to get the best results that it can, and to help in that effort, I want to be supportive of ALL team members that give 110%; on this front, the NYCFC track record is excellent so far. Claudio Reyna and Jason Kreis have been astute in the selection of players to be part of NYCFC.

I'm sure Frank is thick-skinned, has heard his share of jeers, especially going from Chelsea to MCFC, but he will be a team member soon and I would encourage all NYCFC supporters to support Frank Lampard. Prominent in US culture are learning from mistakes, second chances and forgiveness when merited. It helps to make our country and our teams strong. If after a period of adjustment, we feel Frank Lampard is not making an effort on the field, I would reassess at that point, but based on his career track record, I don't have a reason to doubt that he will apply himself.

There are many people in the forum whom I respect who feel differently regarding Frank Lampard, but I wanted to share my perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: SayWhat44 and JayH
I'm sure besides fans who actually care and followed the situation from the start, everyone else is going to let him get away with it.

This is my first post after lurking for a while, and after joining only last week.

Anyone holding a grudge against Frank Lampard is behaving in an unreasonable manner.

First of all, no one can possibly blame a player for preferring to play in the Premier League. When it became clear that Man City wanted to keep Lampard for the full year, he quite reasonably saw that this was the thing to do. The Premier League is just more important than MLS -- and this is no knock on MLS, as the same thing can be said about every other league in the world outside of Spain and Italy.

The only blame in the situation is with NYCFC, which should have anticipated the possibility (albeit unlikely at the time) that Man City would want Lampard for the whole season. NYCFC should have announced from the beginning that Lampard would be coming to the league in the summer, just as Beckham, Henry, Cahill, Keane, and even Dempsey did, and as Gerrard will be doing this year. After such an initial announcement, Lampard's possible early arrival would have been a bonus; and no one would have been complaining when Man City decided to keep him for their full season.

NYCFC's botching of the situation unfortunately cast the Man City connection in a bad light, which somehow placed fans of the club on the defensive and gave the team's detractors ammunition. But no fan of NYCFC should ever be apologising about the club's connection to Man City; rather, the City-City link is something to be proud of.

Furthermore, the whole thing will certainly work out in NYCFC's favour. Lampard can finish the season at Man City, take a few months off, and then join NYCFC in early August. That will be just fine, as MLS's come-one-come-all playoff format (now there's a knock on MLS) ensures that the most meaningful matches are not played until that time of the season. In fact, Lampard coming off a summer break will be more useful to any potential NYCFC playoff drive than he would have been had he joined the club in its pre-season training and had he been playing in every match from the season's start.

Considering that Man City fans were able to welcome back Carlos Tevez after he refused to come on in a Champions League match, after he said that he never wants to go back to Manchester, and after he stayed home in Argentina for months boycotting the team, fans of NYCFC can certainly welcome Frank Lampard after he did nothing more than elect to stay with the defending champions in the best league in the world after the club's manager had made repeated public comments about his desire to keep the player.

Lampard did absolutely nothing wrong in staying with Man City at Pellegrini's insistance. And he will be NYCFC's biggest star and top draw once he arrives -- the game against the Galaxy and Gerrard in late August will be the most celebrated event in MLS since the arrival of Beckham. All fans of this team should not only accept this, but enthusiastically embrace it.

This is my first post after lurking for a while, and after joining only last week.

Anyone holding a grudge against Frank Lampard is behaving in an unreasonable manner.

First of all, no one can possibly blame a player for preferring to play in the Premier League. When it became clear that Man City wanted to keep Lampard for the full year, he quite reasonably saw that this was the thing to do. The Premier League is just more important than MLS -- and this is no knock on MLS, as the same thing can be said about every other league in the world outside of Spain and Italy.

The only blame in the situation is with NYCFC, which should have anticipated the possibility (albeit unlikely at the time) that Man City would want Lampard for the whole season. NYCFC should have announced from the beginning that Lampard would be coming to the league in the summer, just as Beckham, Henry, Cahill, Keane, and even Dempsey did, and as Gerrard will be doing this year. After such an initial announcement, Lampard's possible early arrival would have been a bonus; and no one would have been complaining when Man City decided to keep him for their full season.

NYCFC's botching of the situation unfortunately cast the Man City connection in a bad light, which somehow placed fans of the club on the defensive and gave the team's detractors ammunition. But no fan of NYCFC should ever be apologising about the club's connection to Man City; rather, the City-City link is something to be proud of.

Furthermore, the whole thing will certainly work out in NYCFC's favour. Lampard can finish the season at Man City, take a few months off, and then join NYCFC in early August. That will be just fine, as MLS's come-one-come-all playoff format (now there's a knock on MLS) ensures that the most meaningful matches are not played until that time of the season. In fact, Lampard coming off a summer break will be more useful to any potential NYCFC playoff drive than he would have been had he joined the club in its pre-season training and had he been playing in every match from the season's start.

Considering that Man City fans were able to welcome back Carlos Tevez after he refused to come on in a Champions League match, after he said that he never wants to go back to Manchester, and after he stayed home in Argentina for months boycotting the team, fans of NYCFC can certainly welcome Frank Lampard after he did nothing more than elect to stay with the defending champions in the best league in the world after the club's manager had made repeated public comments about his desire to keep the player.

Lampard did absolutely nothing wrong in staying with Man City at Pellegrini's insistance. And he will be NYCFC's biggest star and top draw once he arrives -- the game against the Galaxy and Gerrard in late August will be the most celebrated event in MLS since the arrival of Beckham. All fans of this team should not only accept this, but enthusiastically embrace it.

Very very well put Sir! You talk a lot of sense.CTID

Reactions: Ferdinand Cesarano

I'm a little hesitant to buy that you're a New Yorker when you spell it "favour." But let's play pretend:

Yes, you can absolutely blame a player for appearing of his own free will at a press conference who announces that he wants to come to MLS, so buy tickets/jerseys/tshirts for him coming who then changes his mind. Going back on your word is a universally blameable offense. Sure, the PL is better and the UCL is a great thrill to play in. But if you'd rather play there as a bench player then a starter in MLS, that's not problem. Do that. Just don't promise you're going somewhere else.

Plenty of people blame NYCFC, but if NYCFC had announced he was coming in the summer and then he came in February because MCFC didn't want him anymore, well that's not great optics. "Come to Yankee Stadium to see the Man City reject" won't pack 40k.

Your "who cares, the playoffs make it even" ignores several key points. The first is that NYCFC is by no means guaranteed to make the playoffs. Lampard not being here is a loss of an expected DP for 5 months out of the season, and then another month or so of trying to get Lampard up to speed with the flow NYCFC has spent 5 months establishing to even be ready. Maybe it works out, but to pretend like the playoffs solve those problems is ludicrous.

And while I imagine the Lampard/Gerrard event will be big in MLS, we have better events starting with those playoffs. We have regular season matches between the pre-Gerrard Galaxy and Seattle Sounders that draw 60k. NYCFC just came from a 60k regular season opening, followed by 43k in Yankee Stadium. I hope both Lampard and Gerrard do well in MLS and think that eventually they will.

But for you to condescend and tell us MLS needs these guys to have big events is just wrong.

I'm a little hesitant to buy that you're a New Yorker when you spell it "favour." But let's play pretend:

Yes, you can absolutely blame a player for appearing of his own free will at a press conference who announces that he wants to come to MLS, so buy tickets/jerseys/tshirts for him coming who then changes his mind. Going back on your word is a universally blameable offense. Sure, the PL is better and the UCL is a great thrill to play in. But if you'd rather play there as a bench player then a starter in MLS, that's not problem. Do that. Just don't promise you're going somewhere else.

Plenty of people blame NYCFC, but if NYCFC had announced he was coming in the summer and then he came in February because MCFC didn't want him anymore, well that's not great optics. "Come to Yankee Stadium to see the Man City reject" won't pack 40k.

Your "who cares, the playoffs make it even" ignores several key points. The first is that NYCFC is by no means guaranteed to make the playoffs. Lampard not being here is a loss of an expected DP for 5 months out of the season, and then another month or so of trying to get Lampard up to speed with the flow NYCFC has spent 5 months establishing to even be ready. Maybe it works out, but to pretend like the playoffs solve those problems is ludicrous.

And while I imagine the Lampard/Gerrard event will be big in MLS, we have better events starting with those playoffs. We have regular season matches between the pre-Gerrard Galaxy and Seattle Sounders that draw 60k. NYCFC just came from a 60k regular season opening, followed by 43k in Yankee Stadium. I hope both Lampard and Gerrard do well in MLS and think that eventually they will.

But for you to condescend and tell us MLS needs these guys to have big events is just wrong.
I agree with all of this but I think you're missing just one point! For fans like myself that instantly fell in love with the team and the league we only want players that want to be here. If this is a second choice for any player or only an option for players that want one more year before they retire I think they should look someplace else. Clearly Lampard is a talented player and more talented than any one else on our team bar Villa, but give me a player that loves the team as much as I do.

I agree with all of this but I think you're missing just one point! For fans like myself that instantly fell in love with the team and the league we only want players that want to be here. If this is a second choice for any player or only an option for players that want one more year before they retire I think they should look someplace else. Clearly Lampard is a talented player and more talented than any one else on our team bar Villa, but give me a player that loves the team as much as I do.
This is spot-on and I agree 100%. With that said, given that he will be joining us, I just think we may want to (and I am ready to) give him a chance to show he is a guy who: made what arguably was a poor and selfish decision, that blew up in his face, he realizes it, has paid for it, now really genuinely wants to be here, knows he has to prove it, ultimately does prove he is all-in for this team, and adds value on the field and off. I'm ok with that scenario and will give him the benefit of the doubt to prove those things. Part of this probably is reasonable, part of it probably my tendency of rationalizing with a positive spin, so I get the reluctance to adopt this approach!

This is spot-on and I agree 100%. With that said, given that he will be joining us, I just think we may want to (and I am ready to) give him a chance to show he is a guy who: made what arguably was a poor and selfish decision, that blew up in his face, he realizes it, has paid for it, now really genuinely wants to be here, knows he has to prove it, ultimately does prove he is all-in for this team, and adds value on the field and off. I'm ok with that scenario and will give him the benefit of the doubt to prove those things. Part of this probably is reasonable, part of it probably my tendency of rationalizing with a positive spin, so I get the reluctance to adopt this approach!
He's coming here for a payday, that's all. If he scores goals, good- that's what he's getting paid for. But he's never going to be beloved the way Villa already is. He turned his back on us for something "better" and now he'll just reap what he sowed.