Frank Lampard Thread

I'm a little hesitant to buy that you're a New Yorker when you spell it "favour."

I am a lifelong New Yorker who long ago adopted British spelling conventions: "colour", "metre", words ending in "-ise", etc.

Yes, you can absolutely blame a player for appearing of his own free will at a press conference who announces that he wants to come to MLS, so buy tickets/jerseys/tshirts for him coming who then changes his mind.

He didn't change his mind. Changing his mind would mean that he decided not to come. He merely postponed his arrival. He's still a part of this team.

Going back on your word is a universally blameable offense.

No, it is not.

First of all, he didn't go back on his word in any meaningful sense; he is coming. But, even if he had changed his mind completely, neither would that have been something for which he would deserve denunciation. Sometimes circumstances change; and, in response, a person alters his/her course. That is how people operate in all aspects of real life.

For example: I am divorced, despite the fact that I promised publicly to stay with my ex-wife for life. But our relationship changed; and so I altered my course. I am quite happy that I did this, and would heartily recommend it to anyone in a similar situation.

Of course, a person might be constrained by a contract which limits his/her ability to change course. But Lampard's contract was with CFG, which allowed him to make this determination once Man City expressed its interest in retaining him for the rest of the season. In his situation and with his options, anyone else would have made the same decision, and rightfully so.

Your "who cares, the playoffs make it even" ignores several key points. The first is that NYCFC is by no means guaranteed to make the playoffs.

I never suggested that NYCFC are guaranteed to make the playoffs. But, with six teams qualifying from each conference, it is realistic to think that they could conceivably be in the running for the sixth spot.

Lampard not being here is a loss of an expected DP for 5 months out of the season, and then another month or so of trying to get Lampard up to speed with the flow NYCFC has spent 5 months establishing to even be ready. Maybe it works out, but to pretend like the playoffs solve those problems is ludicrous.

It also saves several months of wear and tear on his body. You are correct to note that he will lack familiarity with whatever flow that the club will by then have established. But one would have to believe that a player of his calibre and intelligence will be able to fit himself in rapidly. All in all, the delay in Lampard's arrival is a net win for the club.

And while I imagine the Lampard/Gerrard event will be big in MLS, we have better events starting with those playoffs. We have regular season matches between the pre-Gerrard Galaxy and Seattle Sounders that draw 60k. NYCFC just came from a 60k regular season opening, followed by 43k in Yankee Stadium. I hope both Lampard and Gerrard do well in MLS and think that eventually they will.

But for you to condescend and tell us MLS needs these guys to have big events is just wrong.

The crowds for the first two weeks have been great; and Seatlle's crowds are always good. That's the trend now in the league; and most observers expect it to continue.

Still, we shouldn't fail to acknowledge that the City-Galaxy match featuring both Lampard and Gerrard will be a level above. This does nothing to denigrate the fact that games around the league have an increasing amount of buzz to them. At the same time, this increasing amount of buzz is a direct result of the Beckham legacy, a legacy which was carried on by Henry, is currently borne by David Villa, and is soon to rest with Gerrard and Lampard. Players of this level give the entire league a boost, even in matches not featuring their teams.

When Lampard arrives, he will be the face not only of NYCFC but of the entire league. And this is a good thing.

For fans like myself that instantly fell in love with the team and the league we only want players that want to be here.

It is true that each player needs to buy into the club for which he is currently playing. But, if a better opportunity (for example: playing for a top club in the world's best league) becomes available, we should not be insulted if that player takes that opportunity. Consider that, when one of the big English clubs buys a player from a smaller club, the smaller club's fans may be sad to see the player go, but they generally do not begrudge him the opportunity to hit the real big-time. Fans of NYCFC and every other MLS team need to have a similar perspective.

Really? Google the names Roger Maris and Alex Rodriguez, then get back to us. Just scoring doesn't get you loved here.

Saw Alex Rodriguez play at Tampa in 2000 for the Yankees, too be honest I wasn't impressed although there was a batter called Pujios or something, think he was a catcher. He smacked a home run, very impressive I must say;)

It is true that each player needs to buy into the club for which he is currently playing. But, if a better opportunity (for example: playing for a top club in the world's best league) becomes available, we should not be insulted if that player takes that opportunity. Consider that, when one of the big English clubs buys a player from a smaller club, the smaller club's fans may be sad to see the player go, but they generally do not begrudge him the opportunity to hit the real big-time. Fans of NYCFC and every other MLS team need to have a similar perspective.

Dude- this is NEW YORK. There is no place "better".

Reactions: NYCFCFan10
Way to jump into a community: "Hey, I've been watching you. Just thought I'd chime in and say that you're all wrong."

The people here are not "all wrong" about everything; but those who advocate booing Lampard are spectacularly wrong about that one important issue.

It is terrible to see fans of this club slagging off the player who will be the worldwide symbol of the club, and doing so for no valid reason. As I mentioned, Man City fans had plenty of valid reasons to dislike Carlos Tevez, yet they happily welcomed him back. NYCFC fans have nothing to complain about regarding Lampard.

Dude- this is NEW YORK. There is no place "better".

Hey, I've lived here all my life; and I'd never live anywhere else. I defer to absolutely no one in my New York chauvinism.

Still, we need to acknowledge that a player is simply doing a job. And it's quite possible that a better job could open up somewhere else. My sense of pride as a New Yorker is in no way hurt if a soccer player doing a job here decides that there is a better job somewhere else, especially if that somewhere else is the Premier League. I say good luck to him.

There will be plenty of players of all nationalities for whom a spot in MLS is the better job. And, just as Beckham increased the prestige of the Galaxy and made MLS-bound players want to play there, Lampard will have the same effect on NYCFC. The fact that both of these players will have arrived mid-season is a total non-issue.

I am a lifelong New Yorker who long ago adopted British spelling conventions: "colour", "metre", words ending in "-ise", etc.

He didn't change his mind. Changing his mind would mean that he decided not to come. He merely postponed his arrival. He's still a part of this team.

No, it is not.

First of all, he didn't go back on his word in any meaningful sense; he is coming. But, even if he had changed his mind completely, neither would that have been something for which he would deserve denunciation. Sometimes circumstances change; and, in response, a person alters his/her course. That is how people operate in all aspects of real life.

For example: I am divorced, despite the fact that I promised publicly to stay with my ex-wife for life. But our relationship changed; and so I altered my course. I am quite happy that I did this, and would heartily recommend it to anyone in a similar situation.

Of course, a person might be constrained by a contract which limits his/her ability to change course. But Lampard's contract was with CFG, which allowed him to make this determination once Man City expressed its interest in retaining him for the rest of the season. In his situation and with his options, anyone else would have made the same decision, and rightfully so.

I never suggested that NYCFC are guaranteed to make the playoffs. But, with six teams qualifying from each conference, it is realistic to think that they could conceivably be in the running for the sixth spot.

It also saves several months of wear and tear on his body. You are correct to note that he will lack familiarity with whatever flow that the club will by then have established. But one would have to believe that a player of his calibre and intelligence will be able to fit himself in rapidly. All in all, the delay in Lampard's arrival is a net win for the club.

The crowds for the first two weeks have been great; and Seatlle's crowds are always good. That's the trend now in the league; and most observers expect it to continue.

Still, we shouldn't fail to acknowledge that the City-Galaxy match featuring both Lampard and Gerrard will be a level above. This does nothing to denigrate the fact that games around the league have an increasing amount of buzz to them. At the same time, this increasing amount of buzz is a direct result of the Beckham legacy, a legacy which was carried on by Henry, is currently borne by David Villa, and is soon to rest with Gerrard and Lampard. Players of this level give the entire league a boost, even in matches not featuring their teams.

When Lampard arrives, he will be the face not only of NYCFC but of the entire league. And this is a good thing.

I disagree with everything you say here but I'm going to focus on just one thing: Frank Lampard will not be the face of MLS. Lampard was not going to be the face of MLS before choosing to extend his stay at Manchester. The faces of MLS are Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Nick Rimando, Mix, and other USMNT players who are still in their primes and are plying their trades in front of the home crowds. Others, like Villa, Keane and hopefully Lampard and Gerrard are certainly attractions to be put on billboards and such but are not the faces of the league.

It is terrible to see fans of this club slagging off the player who will be the worldwide symbol of the club, and doing so for no valid reason. As I mentioned, Man City fans had plenty of valid reasons to dislike Carlos Tevez, yet they happily welcomed him back. NYCFC fans have nothing to complain about regarding Lampard.
Have to disagree. Villa is the face of this club. The smiling, happy to be here, scoring face of this club, I might add.
And there's PLENTY to complain about regarding Lampard, but I'm not going to rehash what's been endlessly said here.

It'll be interesting to see what he has to say when he finally gets to NY (if he finally comes). He's going to have to speak on the matter. It'd be shameful not to address his thinking and his thought process through this debacle. If he comes, and is sorry and is believable, most will probably just be happy it is done, he's in uniform and he helps us win the title.

Still, we need to acknowledge that a player is simply doing a job. And it's quite possible that a better job could open up somewhere else. My sense of pride as a New Yorker is in no way hurt if a soccer player doing a job here decides that there is a better job somewhere else, especially if that somewhere else is the Premier League. I say good luck to him.

Look, we all get the point that you're making. The problem here is that you're equating Frank Lampard to Kwadwo Poku. Poku is beloved at Silverbacks. Because he was there, he was productive and he was THEIRS. Then, he got a bigger platform and the fans saw no fault in him for taking it. Any reasonable person anywhere on Earth would do the same. That's seeing your baby grow into a man.

That is not in the same category as Frank Lampard agreeing to play in MLS, coming to New York and doing promo, being put on an electronic billboard in Times Square, saying he's going to MCFC to stay fit and then saying, "Hey, I think I'm going to stay longer. Deal with it." That's agreeing to go on date and then one person doesn't show up, then calls 6 months later like, "Hey, you wanna go out?"

That's smug. If you feel that this league is beneath your ability and we should just be happy to have you at any point in time, then what would you be here for? David Villa won La Liga in 13-14 and hasn't given a SINGLE indication that this league is beneath him. He GENUINELY sees this as an opportunity to grow the game, expand his brand and love this city. That type of class can't be compared. Nor can seeing someone promote leagues be compared.

God, you have to love the English.

All the times they've said "wait and see" and "trust us" and were proven spectacularly wrong already....but then they show up and do it again anyway.

I will "wait and see" but 4 months is a pretty long time to wait, hope you're still around then.

Patience is a virtue

The people here are not "all wrong" about everything; but those who advocate booing Lampard are spectacularly wrong about that one important issue.

It is terrible to see fans of this club slagging off the player who will be the worldwide symbol of the club, and doing so for no valid reason.

It's like you are living in an alternate universe or something. Your statements are genuinely baffling.

It's like you are living in an alternate universe or something. Your statements are genuinely baffling.

What is baffling is how someone could consider a change from "arriving in March" to "arriving in August" to be a valid reason to dislike a world-class superstar.

As I mentioned, NYCFC should have announced from the start Lampard's that arrival would be mid-season, because they should have conceived of the possibility of the delay. But, even after their misstep, the team's most educated fans have the responsibilty to understand the situation and not to overreact to what really is a minor hiccup.

We will soon have the pleasure of seeing world-class stars Lampard and Villa together, along with great MLS veterans Saunders and Grabavoy, exciting young players such as Mix and Shelton, and the most excellent mustache of Jeb Brovsky. There is no need to turn the situation (which will actually help the club, due to Lampard's not suffering from fatigue during the meat part of the season) into some kind of crisis.

Hey, I've lived here all my life; and I'd never live anywhere else. I defer to absolutely no one in my New York chauvinism.

There will be plenty of players of all nationalities for whom a spot in MLS is the better job. And, just as Beckham increased the prestige of the Galaxy and made MLS-bound players want to play there, Lampard will have the same effect on NYCFC. The fact that both of these players will have arrived mid-season is a total non-issue.

After reading through this thread it seems to me most people on here have delusions of grandeur except you my friend, one world cup winner and European cup winner up front and a former England captain and another European Cup winner on his way to play in midfield! No pleasing some people! Should I say people who are acting like spoilt children, try watching a team like City for over 30 year's , going down to the 3rd division, getting beaten by the mighty York City but still filling Maine Road! Being a laughing stock to everyone in football, even Stockport County used to beat us but 30,000 + still came back for more! We never take anything for granted, all I can say is enjoy the ride. CTID

Reactions: Ferdinand Cesarano
After reading through this thread it seems to me most people on here have delusions of grandeur except you my friend, one world cup winner and European cup winner up front and a former England captain and another European Cup winner on his way to play in midfield! No pleasing some people! Should I say people who are acting like spoilt children, try watching a team like City for over 30 year's , going down to the 3rd division, getting beaten by the mighty York City but still filling Maine Road! Being a laughing stock to everyone in football, even Stockport County used to beat us but 30,000 + still came back for more! We never take anything for granted, all I can say is enjoy the ride. CTID
Oh there's no doubt Manchester was, is, and will forever be a pathetic club. A loser to its core. Always the second team of Manchester.

My mind explodes at the audacity of Man City fans to come here and call us "spoilt" (lol)

As though their club being a piece of shit for decades and then striking it rich via oil money somehow entitles them to what isn't theirs. They have the $500 million roster that they did not build themselves like some of the other big clubs in England but was provided to them --artificially -- via an oil sheikh but they somehow think they've earned it, while we haven't? Lol

And they think we're the "spoilt"(lol) ones for protesting it? Unbelievable.

Last edited:
Oh there's no doubt Manchester was, is, and will forever be a pathetic club. A loser to its core. Always the second team of Manchester.

My mind explodes at the audacity of Man City fans to come here and call us "spoilt" (lol)

As though their club being a piece of shit for decades and then striking it rich via oil money somehow entitles them to what isn't theirs. They have the $500 million roster that they did not build themselves like some of the other big clubs in England but was provided to them artificially via an oil sheikh but they somehow think they're entitled to our players? Like they earned it because their club sucked for so long? Lmao

And they think we're the "spoilt"(lol) ones for protesting it? Unbelievable.
Not to stop your rant mate ,but Manchester united don't come from Manchester never have never will .
Carry on as you were