Game Of Thrones - Book Discussion [spoilers!!]

BToto920

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 19, 2014
Astoria, NY
Opening up this thread to discuss the book and how it relates to the show. We could also use this space to speculate about what will happen in the upcoming books.

And...Go!

Opening up this thread to discuss the book and how it relates to the show. We could also use this space to speculate about what will happen in the upcoming books.

And...Go!
Awesome. I was going to post the sane thing, glad you got it up already.

To set some guidelines, it is implied already that there will be spoilers. So at the begining of the post we should specify which book the spoiler starts in.

[GOT Spoiler]
ZoMG Ned Stark died??!!

[ADWD Spoiler]
Bran? NO IT CAN'T BE TRUE?

With all that said:

Are you up to date with the books?

Yea. I have read all the books that are out in publication right now. Eagerly awaiting the next book. At this rate the show will surpass the storyline of the books!!

Yea. I have read all the books that are out in publication right now. Eagerly awaiting the next book. At this rate the show will surpass the storyline of the books!!

Yeah. I hate to be one of those guys, but I hope George RR Martin has some tricks up his sleeve and he's just trying to time the final book release with the final season. Especially since the HBO adaptation has been so successful and so well received by readers, which lets face it, is a feat unto itself. How many communities, ESPECIALLY high fantasy, are actually happy with film adaptations. Aside from issues like Daenerys' eyes not being purple or Daario not looking like a colorful jackass, there hasn't been much backlash, if any. I'll admit that I don't frequent any ASOIAF forums, aside from reddit, so I may be wrong.

It's kind of funny watching all the speculation threads after every episode though.

Reactions: LostAnvil
I'm with you. I don't participate in any of the forums either. The show hasn't varied too much from the book and I like that, but on the flip side, a show like The Walking Dead, I am glad that it does deviate. I guess that goes to show that none of us know what we really want. Haha :D

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I clicked on this from the home page (it was last replied to thread) and last second I saw Book Discussion.................
Scrolled to the bottom of the page with eyes closed and now I'm leaving. KBYE.

whoa whoa whoa ... ned stark dies? He's like the main dude ... I have not finished all of the books but am wrapping up the last one slowly, to busy at work. That being said I found it amazing having finished the first two books ahead of the show how spot on Jaime looked to the character in my head. I always pictured him as Captain Mal from firefly when I was reading and they pretty much hired a lookalike to play him. Anyway good books, good series, still not as good as the wire, or battlestar galactica. Yup ... pretty nerdy over here.

whoa whoa whoa ... ned stark dies? He's like the main dude ... I have not finished all of the books but am wrapping up the last one slowly, to busy at work. That being said I found it amazing having finished the first two books ahead of the show how spot on Jaime looked to the character in my head. I always pictured him as Captain Mal from firefly when I was reading and they pretty much hired a lookalike to play him. Anyway good books, good series, still not as good as the wire, or battlestar galactica. Yup ... pretty nerdy over here.
Firefly...What an awesome show.

That's a pretty damn close resemblance! I read the books (or started) after the first episode. I was caught up by the begining of the last season. So for the first season I had the images of the cast in my head.

After not knowing a single thing about the books, I watched season one and I ended up reading all the books within a span of a few weeks. I regret doing so because it has taken away the element of surprise from the show. I can still enjoy it to see how the way the show presents stuff to matches up with how I imagined them when reading.

After not knowing a single thing about the books, I watched season one and I ended up reading all the books within a span of a few weeks. I regret doing so because it has taken away the element of surprise from the show. I can still enjoy it to see how the way the show presents stuff to matches up with how I imagined them when reading.
I did the same thing but I find myself being able to enjoy the show in a different way.

The Red Wedding being the most dramatic. I experienced Rob and Cat die twice.

The episode. My wife watched it having no idea what was going to happen. Whereas I spent the entire hour with a pit in my stomach, anticipating this horrific moment.

The second I heard The Rains of Castamere I got a lump in my throat. It was harder to watch it than itbwas to read. Although reading Cat's thoughts was one of the most disturbing images. You know the part I'm talking about....when all she can do is worry about her hair being ruined because it was Ned's favorite.

Can't wait for the scene (which is going to be in episode 8 this season next sunday) when Oberyn fights the mountain. I think it has potential to be one of the best scenes in the show so far.

[Edit - removed my comment...wasn't paying attention to which section we were in]

I wish they would've developed Oberyn a little more on the show. Seemed like all this came so quickly.

Really looking forward to the next time we see Shae.

Oberyn's death was even more brutal in the show than the books. I was really worried they were going to muck that scene up.

There is so much that this season has to hit on from the 3rd book! How are they going to show it all in a single episode?!?

So finished all the books last week ... ummm ... so when does the next one come out?

36605045.jpg

did you all see the "Gay of thrones" web series? Martin was on the last episode and did a whole princess bride spoof and yelled about how long it takes towrite the books. pretty funny.

HOWDY! So they're really starting to deviate from the books now that the show is ramping up in speed - entire story lines are nixed - even character movements have changed - so far, I haven't been upset about any of the changes, except for Lady Stoneheart - really thought she was going to make an appearance in S4E10

Reactions: Vito
Seems they're cutting out Aegon and Griff out altogether as well. I think after this season the show and the books are pretty much going to be two very different stories. Which I don't mind to some extent.

HOWDY! So they're really starting to deviate from the books now that the show is ramping up in speed - entire story lines are nixed - even character movements have changed - so far, I haven't been upset about any of the changes, except for Lady Stoneheart - really thought she was going to make an appearance in S4E10
She has to be around this season. Feast of Crows and ADWD have some overlapping timelines...specifically I can't remember which, so please don't ask lol.

edit: FoC and ADWD are written similar to Lord of the Rings. It's not necessarily a linear storyline. There is a bit of bouncing around. The last half of FoC and the first half of ADWD are basically happening at the same time. My guess is this season will focus on that chunk of the ASOIAF story.

Last edited: