General MLS Discussion

Honestly couldn't care less, especially given we've never had a coach for our team (sans kreis, but i don't think anyone really cares...) become a coach at another MLS club even though it's really common.

Speaking of which, I've heard this Wilfred Nancy guy is pretty good...

It would be easier to stomach if we were in a better situation with our current coach. I think each of the coaches leading up to our cup win excelled at different things and each laid the groundwork for the next manager. Their strengths were:

1. Viera - Player development, drilling into the players how to play the quick passing system with a high level of comfort
2. Dome - Overall tactical system refinement
3. Delia - Player management and finding the sweet spot between a rigid system approach and giving the players some freedom

Vieira going to ATL is particularly frustrating because it feels like we are back at step 1 right now and could use his ability to develop young players. His stature in soccer also brings advantages to player recruitment and day-to-day player management. So many players during the PV era mentioned choosing to come after talking to PV on the phone. I'd also bet some of the young expensive transfers would be a lot less likely to butt heads with PV if he pushed them hard than they are with Cushing just based on who PV is.

Reactions: Vallos
It would be easier to stomach if we were in a better situation with our current coach. I think each of the coaches leading up to our cup win excelled at different things and each laid the groundwork for the next manager. Their strengths were:

1. Viera - Player development, drilling into the players how to play the quick passing system with a high level of comfort
2. Dome - Overall tactical system refinement
3. Delia - Player management and finding the sweet spot between a rigid system approach and giving the players some freedom

Vieira going to ATL is particularly frustrating because it feels like we are back at step 1 right now and could use his ability to develop young players. His stature in soccer also brings advantages to player recruitment and day-to-day player management. So many players during the PV era mentioned choosing to come after talking to PV on the phone. I'd also bet some of the young expensive transfers would be a lot less likely to butt heads with PV if he pushed them hard than they are with Cushing just based on who PV is.

the one thing i didnt like of PV is that i felt many times he could not motivate the team, and they came out flat and it led to bad losses. the 7-0/4-0 vs RB the 3-0 vs portland and that whole debacle vs columbus in first leg of playoff leg 4-1 and the second leg of toronto series 5-0.

will he improve atlanta ? yes. would it make them contenders? no.

would i take him over cushing? yes. but i know the improvement wont be massive i think. as this time around there is no villa or anyone close to that to get to solve games.

Reactions: gbservis and CCMore
the one thing i didnt like of PV is that i felt many times he could not motivate the team, and they came out flat and it led to bad losses. the 7-0/4-0 vs RB the 3-0 vs portland and that whole debacle vs columbus in first leg of playoff leg 4-1 and the second leg of toronto series 5-0.

will he improve atlanta ? yes. would it make them contenders? no.

would i take him over cushing? yes. but i know the improvement wont be massive i think. as this time around there is no villa or anyone close to that to get to solve games.
My first reaction to your post is, that was years ago, he may have improved as a manager. But after I read his wiki managerial history, it seems that he just kinda bounced around for poor performing team to poor performing team. So yeah I agree I’d take him over Cushing but I don’t think I want him back for the long term

Patrick Viera coached our team
V-I-E-I Ra!
And he left us in the middle of a season
V-I-E-I Ra!
And he was bad against Red Bulls and he never won in playoffs, and he never won USOC but he was very good apart from that
Patrick Viera coached our team
V-I-E-I Ra!

That's how you spell Vieira.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SoupInNYC and Kenny