General MLS Discussion

The news that this was probably happening broke a few months ago.

Which do you think is the better option? I like the extra U-22 spot and $2 million GAM.
I agree, that GAM is really a game changer IMO. This helps you build a stronger over all team. The other option basically says you can throw as much money as you want at 1 person. An extra U-22 means your buying into a less polished player which is risk compared to the unlimited cash DP. (But throwing a lot of Money at a DP does not guarantee success either. I.e. Insigne 2023) But as mentioned before the GAM builds up the rest of your roster adding at least two to four starting players with some higher floors and albeit lower ceilings.

Reactions: moogoo
I just watched another late night corker of a match from the West coast as the Galaxy hold on to beat Portland 3-2.
Houston beats Vancouver 4-3. LAFC shuts out Seattle 3-0 and Colorado - RSL are knotted at 2 all in the 75'.

Games from the Western Conference seem far more entertaining and their playoffs are going to be a pissa.

Reactions: gbservis and moogoo
chicago could have made miami drop points but their keeper had to decide he'd go hunting for butterflies... sigh.

Philly is playing Columbus tonight. Then Red Bull get a home game on Saturday vs… Philly. who will be on just a couple days’ rest. RB so lucky this year. Or they have a friend in MLS/Apple scheduling.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
Philly is playing Columbus tonight. Then Red Bull get a home game on Saturday vs… Philly. who will be on just a couple days’ rest. RB so lucky this year. Or they have a friend in MLS/Apple scheduling.
Of course that also benefits us to a certain extent - except that Columbus was heavily rotated for that game and still managed to defeat the Union.

Interesting and yet also unsatisfying analysis of the Crew's success. I think this is outside the site paywall:

In short it contrasts the Crew against previous MLS success models:
  • pricey internationals, US stars, established manager (Galaxy, Toronto)
  • veteran core and strong culture (Seattle)
  • young rising expensive internationals ( Atlanta)
But it never really explains what the Crew does right. They credit Nancy, and attractive game play. Also they note that Cucho is a goal machine, Nagbe bosses the midfield and they get good contributions from academy kids. But then the author admits he has no explanation and mentions "alchemy."
Relevant to our NYC roster discussions, they note their roster is inexpensive with one major transfer fee of $10M for Cucho, which is far from the largest, plus they did not buy him just to flip him. Contrasting specifically Atlanta and Almeda, the article says, "Hernandez was brought in to be the killer he is, to earn trophies."
I do believe they've been fortunate with Hernandez. Not everyone jumps his productivity when stepping down a level in league like he has. But it's funny what happens when you aim for wins rather than transfer payoffs.

Last edited:
Interesting and yet also unsatisfying analysis of the Crew's success. I think this is outside the site paywall:

In short it contrasts the Crew against previous MLS success models:
  • pricey internationals, US stars, established manager (Galaxy, Toronto)
  • veteran core and strong culture (Seattle)
  • young rising expensive internationals ( Atlanta)
But it never really explains what the Crew does right. They credit Nancy, and attractive game play. Also they note that Cucho is a goal machine, Nagbe bosses the midfield and they get good contributions from academy kids. But then the author admits he has no explanation and mentions "alchemy."
Relevant to our NYC roster discussions, they note their roster is inexpensive with one major transfer fee of $10M for Cucho, which is far from the largest, plus they did not buy him just to flip him. Contrasting specifically Atlanta and Almeda, the article says, "Hernandez was brought in to be the killer he is, to earn trophies."
I do believe they've been fortunate with Hernandez. Not everyone jumps his productivity when stepping down a level in league like he has. But it's funny what happens when you aim for wins rather than transfer payoffs.

I think their success comes from not following a single approach model. Looking at the Columbus roster it seems like their model is to find value through all avenues of player acquisition and when they spend money the player must be somewhat proven and fit their system.

As opposed to NYCFC who never looks for talent within the league and just spent our entire transfer budget on unproven teenagers, the most expensive of which clearly is a terrible fit for our system.

I think their success comes from not following a single approach model. Looking at the Columbus roster it seems like their model is to find value through all avenues of player acquisition and when they spend money the player must be somewhat proven and fit their system.

As opposed to NYCFC who never looks for talent within the league and just spent our entire transfer budget on unproven teenagers, the most expensive of which clearly is a terrible fit for our system.
Sean Johnson, Brad Freese, Andres Perea...

Reactions: CCMore
Sean Johnson, Brad Freese, Andres Perea...
Ben Sweat, RJ Allen, Tony Rocha,
There are other examples in our history, I'm sure. But of the current roster and those signed by Lee, who do we have? Perea and freese for inside MLS? There's hope-gund but he barely sees the bench, let alone the field. Not sure if he's from MLS.. too lazy to look it up 😁

Technically Sweat, Allen and Rocha came from lower leagues outside MLS. Arguably we’ve been more open to gambles on lower league projects than to MLS transfers.

I can’t even with this Mikey Lopez erasure.

• Haha
Reactions: gbservis
So one outfield player since who, Tony Rocha? I think you are proving my point.
Yeah, this club doesn't really look inside the league for players to provide meaningful minutes. Sean Johnson is really the only one they brought in to get big minutes.

I don't quite think the club expected what they got out of Perea and Freese on those loans and then needed to make those permanent moves.

I also think it completely makes sense how the club doesn't look within the league. Most inter-league transfers are for overinflated values via GAM IMO and the team can get better quality outside of the league for the most part.

That said, NYCFC hasn't done a great job of that within recent years. Give me more of the Tinnerholm, Ring, ITS, Chanot, Callens, etc. types of signings.

So one outfield player since who, Tony Rocha? I think you are proving my point.
Disagree. Keeper vs outfield isn't a meaningful distinction here, it's 2 out of 11 starters on the current team. (Perea is at worst #12 of 11, and even then it's more about Sands and Parks' historic place on the team and not Perea's talent). How many MLS players do you want on this team?

Disagree. Keeper vs outfield isn't a meaningful distinction here, it's 2 out of 11 starters on the current team. (Perea is at worst #12 of 11, and even then it's more about Sands and Parks' historic place on the team and not Perea's talent). How many MLS players do you want on this team?

I disagree about goalies. Almost all of the MLS teams and many teams in Europe use American keepers, so we are essentially just doing the same thing as everyone else. With outfield players, we are not the same. Saying X number of starters is misleading as Perea is our only outfield MLS signing for years. It's also crazy that we have none on the bench. The nice thing about MLS players is you already know what they are capable of in the MLS.