General MLS Discussion

Houston seems to have achieved the impossible -
making their orange kits even more difficult to stare at directly. El sol indeed.

FpBKgIKXEAEQ2xR

• Haha
Reactions: JCMore
Houston seems to have achieved the impossible -
making their orange kits even more difficult to stare at directly. El sol indeed.

FpBKgIKXEAEQ2xR
I love this unironically.

Most of the kits this year are absolutely amazing. Usually I have a lot of "ew puke-worthy", but this year so far i've only seen a handful of those. Then again, we haven't seen half of them yet... but... it's a good start?

i wonder what changed that it feels they actually tried with the degisns? remember that year when like 90% of the teams had a generic white jersey. i think the whole apple deal probably happened long after the designs of these jerseys were finalized, for them to have a say that they didnt want generic designs.

Reactions: adam
i wonder what changed that it feels they actually tried with the degisns? remember that year when like 90% of the teams had a generic white jersey. i think the whole apple deal probably happened long after the designs of these jerseys were finalized, for them to have a say that they didnt want generic designs.
Yeah. Worse, the year most the kits were just the national team World Cup warm up jerseys template from 2018 with an MLS crest on them. That was the ultimate And Deutschland Isn’t Doing Any Shit moment.

Their contract might be coming up too but not 100% sure. Probably trying to show full potential before possibly settling into a new contract and dispensing the 50% all white MLS kit machine again in 2025.

Reactions: 413Blue
lafc battling rbnj for a who did it worst?

q6oz6gnflkzy7i8zkelx.jpg
qwvag0f2j9rtzt5gatkz.jpg

sporting sticking to their roots with the hoops and seems to be the only one with an actual collar a la brazil's WC2022 jersey?

ru7nqgwiozoxdee8thkn.jpg

Today's batch have been pretty eh.
...except i don't know what it is, but RSL's color scheme just kicks freakin' ass and i LOVE it.

I don't think they've revealed a bad kit in this color scheme probably ever. lol

-edit-
okay, maybe one was terrible

Reactions: JCMore
Today's batch have been pretty eh.
Looking at LAFC, Dallas, and some from yesterday like Colorado and a few others (even ours), it's has become apparent to me that a general constraint they face is the need to avoid major contrasting colors or even really different tones of a single color because that would make it less likely that any given jersey contrasts with the opposing jersey. A monochrome shirt can only fail to contrast with a similar shirt. A shirt with 2-3 major color elements worn against another 2-3 color shirt probably has issues.

Compare the Colorado jersey
Colorado Rapids release New Day jersey ahead of 2023 season

with any other work by the artist behind it:

Let The Music Play - Pandora Campaign

Before and After

Dream Big

That's a boring fvcking kit by an artist who knows how to use color. And it's because, I'm now certain, he could not use his usual color palette to make a usable kit. Honestly, I'm more impressed now that Adidas and Nike sometimes do something visually interesting given the constraints.

I also looked up the artist behind the RB kit. Oddly, their new jersey looks nothing like his usual fare which has a lot of simple monochrome items:

dp-melrose-03.jpg

But I think my theory also explains why their tie-dye shirt is such a muted mess, which is again if it had large bold red and yellow elements and looked like an actual, good tie-dye job instead of puke, it would conflict with too many opposing shirts.

One last note is that Colorado hired a local artist for their shirt. Red Bulls hired someone born in Australia who grew up wanting to play rugby, now based in LA, with no regular NY (or NJ) presence or roots, and made him design something that doesn't look like anything else in his portfolio that I can find. It's really inexplicable.

Looking at LAFC, Dallas, and some from yesterday like Colorado and a few others (even ours), it's has become apparent to me that a general constraint they face is the need to avoid major contrasting colors or even really different tones of a single color because that would make it less likely that any given jersey contrasts with the opposing jersey. A monochrome shirt can only fail to contrast with a similar shirt. A shirt with 2-3 major color elements worn against another 2-3 color shirt probably has issues.

Before and After

Dream Big

That's a boring fvcking kit by an artist who knows how to use color. And it's because, I'm now certain, he could not use his usual color palette to make a usable kit. Honestly, I'm more impressed now that Adidas and Nike sometimes do something visually interesting given the constraints.

I also looked up the artist behind the RB kit. Oddly, their new jersey looks nothing like his usual fare which has a lot of simple monochrome items:

dp-melrose-03.jpg

But I think my theory also explains why their tie-dye shirt is such a muted mess, which is again if it had large bold red and yellow elements and looked like an actual, good tie-dye job instead of puke, it would conflict with too many opposing shirts.

One last note is that Colorado hired a local artist for their shirt. Red Bulls hired someone born in Australia who grew up wanting to play rugby, now based in LA, with no regular NY (or NJ) presence or roots, and made him design something that doesn't look like anything else in his portfolio that I can find. It's really inexplicable.
your theory makes a lot of sense, however the only thing that i would counter with is that if a team has colors that don't cross over on their home and away, and their away kit clashes, why not just use the home kit in that scenario? would solve that problem, and you see it happen a bunch in other leagues. (or they do a third kit with completely idiotic colors for that purpose, too. See newcastle)

Before and After

Dream Big

dp-melrose-03.jpg

Really harnessing your inner Anna Wintor there buddy. Better get off your phone and get to that class at FIT you’re the adjunct for. Now I’m scared you’re going to judge my outfit next time we hang out.

hated it damon wayans GIF

• Haha
Reactions: moogoo
your theory makes a lot of sense, however the only thing that i would counter with is that if a team has colors that don't cross over on their home and away, and their away kit clashes, why not just use the home kit in that scenario? would solve that problem, and you see it happen a bunch in other leagues. (or they do a third kit with completely idiotic colors for that purpose, too. See newcastle)
Say we have a multicolor and our usual pale blue. Our opponent has a mostly blue multicolor and a white. Pale blue and white contrast poorly and our blue fails against their mostly blue as well. And we don’t do third shirts. Too risky. Keep it simple.

Reactions: Shwafta
Really harnessing your inner Anna Wintor there buddy. Better get off your phone and get to that class at FIT you’re the adjunct for. Now I’m scared you’re going to judge my outfit next time we hang out.

hated it damon wayans GIF
I think about color and light a lot since taking up photography. Contrast is very important, which is why a good black and white photo is more interesting than that Rapids kit.
ETA: and why I generally hate our flat pale blue home shirts.

Last edited:
I think about color and light a lot since taking up photography. Contrast is very important, which is why a good black and white photo is more interesting than that Rapids kits.
ETA: and why I generally hate our flat pale blue home shirts.
I’m just teasing you bud

"the ‘Smokescreen’ kit features a smoke design rising up across the body of the jersey – a homage to the iconic LAFC Supporters’ goal celebration at BMO Stadium. The kit introduces a new colorway into the Club’s iconic look,"

I think iconic:LAFC::historic:NYCFC.

When you adopt a goal celebration already used by several dozen clubs around the world that's not iconic. Also it's just another boring muted and largely unpleasant color.

No sponsor on the Chicago Fire jersey front.

What a terrible organization. They actually need to Chivas USA that franchise, and re-sell the franchise rights to a new group in a few years with a completely new identity.

I like their colors and logo actually -- but for a hockey team. The blue looks like the blue line and the logo looks like a puck.

What a terrible organization. They actually need to Chivas USA that franchise, and re-sell the franchise rights to a new group in a few years with a completely new identity.

I like their colors and logo actually -- but for a hockey team. The blue looks like the blue line and the logo looks like a puck.
They were just sold to Joe Mansueto back in 2019. From the Fire fans I know, they do like Mansueto

they did that in like in 2018. they got a new owner and then they changed the logo, people hated it and changed it again to this one. colors will remain as they are city flag colors along with the star in the middle.