General MLS Discussion

el trafico last night was a fun game to watch. rarely disappoints and this one at the rose bowl with over 80k fans... seemed like a peek into what MLS could be in the distant future with larger SS stadiums.
I watched the first half before going to bed. This morning I caught up with the highlights, and then later I took a break and watched the last 10-12 minutes. Fantastic playoff-style atmosphere. There was one especially great episode near the end around 90+5 when LAFC had a free kick and ball fell to an attacked just a few feet from goal but it bounced and he mis-hit it. Galaxy's keeper Jonathan Bond dove forward to grab the ball, and Chiellini sort of slow-motion tripped over him. But while they were both on the ground, Chiellini was so juiced he smiled and enthusiastically rubbed Bond's head like you would expect him to do to a young player on his own team after a good play. Really cool moment.

Reactions: moogoo
el trafico last night was a fun game to watch. rarely disappoints and this one at the rose bowl with over 80k fans... seemed like a peek into what MLS could be in the distant future with larger SS stadiums.
If my Death of the NFL theory holds...
1. I don't see future basketball arenas growing in size because they're still always built in a downtown location. NBA will be the most popular sport in America.
2. You can't build a 40K+ stadium in a downtown setting in most cities based on current developments.
3. NFL ceases to exist in the future because of continue CTE/head trauma or just more serious on-field injuries.
4. MLS surges in popularity over the next two decades, becomes a top 3 three, and attendance size merits moving into NFL sized stadium (or at least square footage).
5. NFL stadiums are reconfigured into MLS 40-60K stadiums.

New England signed Ian Harkes I really have no idea if he’s decent or not since he’s been playing in Scotland but not for Rangers or Celtic the past several years .

I watched the first half before going to bed. This morning I caught up with the highlights, and then later I took a break and watched the last 10-12 minutes. Fantastic playoff-style atmosphere. There was one especially great episode near the end around 90+5 when LAFC had a free kick and ball fell to an attacked just a few feet from goal but it bounced and he mis-hit it. Galaxy's keeper Jonathan Bond dove forward to grab the ball, and Chiellini sort of slow-motion tripped over him. But while they were both on the ground, Chiellini was so juiced he smiled and enthusiastically rubbed Bond's head like you would expect him to do to a young player on his own team after a good play. Really cool moment.

haha yes... though it was Klinsmann in goal. Seemed Bond was injured and subbed at the half.

fantastic atmosphere.

Reactions: mgarbowski
soooo... is St Louis legit yet?
Their luck is gone. After 32 goals in their first 14 games their GD exceeded xGD by an insane +1.24 per game. Now they have 8 goals in the last 7 games and their GD-xGD is -0.78 per game. I guess they forgot how to be clinical. But they still won the last 3 after 4 winless because they don't concede much.
They're rather fortunate to be in first place, but deserve to be at least in the top 3-4 spots in the West.

Reactions: Kenny and Shwafta
Robert Kraft on spending on the Pats. - Money spending will never be the issue, I promise you, or I’ll sell the team.’ So that’s pretty definitive.”

Every Revs Fan hoping that means Kraft will sell.
He sure never made that promise about the Revs. BTW, if he can’t get a SSS built in Boston, good luck to anyone else who tries. No matter how frustrating NYCFC is, I have no regrets about renouncing that shitshow.

The Athletic and other outlets are reporting that Messi will be formally introduced as an MLS player in pregame or halftime for the Gold Cup Final.

I cannot root against the USMNT, but part of me thinks it would be hilarious if the final were to be between Panama and Jamaica, with the stands 60% empty and a non-existent TV audience in the US.

Last edited:
The Athletic and other outlets are reporting that Messi will be formally introduced as an MLS player in pregame or halftime for the Gold Cup Final.

I cannot root against the USMNT, but part of me thinks it would be hilarious if the final were between Panama and Jamaica, with the stands 60% empty and a non-existent TV audience in the US.
I'm sure they would pivot real quick lol

Those crazy kids finally made it official.
Messi is announced.

BTW, NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan - was Publix buzzing about all the attention Messi got for shopping there?

What Savarino just did for RSL vs NJ is what I would like to see from Santi

Reactions: JCMore
busquets official at inter miami now.... guess we're waiting for jordi alba? lol.

this gives them 4 designated players? 5 if you count gregore, but since he's a season ending injury, he's not counted.

how are they doing this? lol

If NYCFC signed Messi and held a non-game stadium event to introduce him, would you go?
I don’t think I would.

if it was included as a season ticket perk, sure. why not? it's more than just calling him out to wave to the crowd... you're going to attend a show ha.

it's raining though. so that kinda sucks ha. hopefully messi doesn't slip and roll an ankle

edit: and beckham almost takes a tumble. they better roll out some non-slip stuff on that thing... if messi slips it'll be baddddd

Last edited: